1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AJ Reed up!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jun 24, 2016.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If Valbuena is hurt he goes on DL and Reed up

Easy

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Don't feel bad, I'm right there with you. We have had so many AAAA disappointments, it's hard not to be guarded. Not to mention he hasn't exactly torn up AAA, although I guess he has been hurt for a large part of that.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Don't think we have more than anyone else? But yes, it's right to be guarded about prospects who haven't proven it in the ML yet...because so many do fail.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Pretty sure, at least early, but he'll be sitting against LH pitching. Of course I hope he smashes since I drafted him in my dynasty league. He needs to be my decade replacement for Cabrera.

5. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Absolutely, and I hope that's the case immediately. Platoon is a bad choice of words, but those are at least the lineup options Hinch will have available to him if he wants to play matchups early on in Reed's tenure.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You may be right and that would likely be the most productive senario

But Luhnow has been pretty clear he wouldn't come up to platoon

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Kemp sent down, Reed up

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Julia Morales says he will be DH tomorrow, so it looks like Valbuena is healthy

9. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Can't believe Reed is about to come up.

I'm just hoping he shows the star/big pop potential. Having him hit between Altuve/Correa will only allow the guy to get pitches.

Springer
    Altuve
    Reed
    Correa
    Rasmus
    Gomez
    Valbuena
    Gattis
    Marwin

So damn good.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Man if reed produces at just a comparable clip to his minor league numbers he's going to be damn good. Very interested to see how they utilize him w marwin and value a playing relatively well of late. Lunhow was pretty explicit in giving him everyday at bats.

11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I think having Marwin at the top is really working, and gives him more AB's to further help the team out.

But I hope we experiment with Reed in the 3 hole and move Marwin to the 9 hole.

Having Gattis and Marwin leading up to Springer is just insane. Imagine if Bregman was up?...

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Ya marwin is at what now... .260 or so? And he's lacing the ball as well. I'm not so sure they'll throw reed into the heart of the order so quickly but he had that potential.

Damn I'm excited. Let's see the return of crush city and hustle town folks!

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

he'd improve the entire lineup to a large degree. hopefully both he and bregman live up to their hype. add a great corner OF, and our lineup would be nuts.

guess it's also possible, depending on how the rest of the season plays out, that they keep valbuena, and bregman is the corner OF.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah there's no way they are putting Reed at the top of the order the second he gets to the bigs, even if the lineup wasn't clicking with marwin batting 2nd.

expect lineup to be:
    springer
    gonzalez
    altuve
    correa
    rasmus
    gomez
    valbuena
    reed
    castro

15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I don't think he will be that low. No way I see Hinch doing that.

I'd plant him in the heart of the order so that he could get pitches to hit and gain confidence. Being sandwiched between Tuve and Correa is ideal. I like Marwin in the 9 hole.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think he bats 8th or 9th tomorrow. There really is no reason to put him anywhere else in the lineup for his first game, specially since the offense has been doing well as is.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Reed can come up and handle himself, it could be huge in a few regards.

Obviously for one it addresses the big hole in the lineup, but it also allows us to truly platoon Marwin and Valbuena at 3rd. Which would make for a lethal combo over there. Both of them have been 800+ OPS hitters against their platoon advantages.

I doubt the Astros platoon Reed much. I think the club expects him to be a middle of the lineup anchor moving forward in the years to come. If he struggles mightily against lefties, then we can eventually start to platoon him if it becomes a negative impact on a possible pennant chase. But they won't assume he can't do it.

Now that Marwin likely won't be playing everyday, it will be interesting to see how they handle the 2 hole. Do they go back to the original big 3, or do they move somebody else into the position.

18. the shark

the shark Member

Excited to watch this kid.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Here's hoping he's a star.

I'd think they'd start him off in the 5 or 6 hole. This lineup is pretty deep so hitting among Rasmus/Gattis/Gomez he will see plenty of good pitches.

Reed and Bregman are easily the most important prospects they will call up this season, it'll be huge if either or both can establish themselves as elite bats to add to Altuve/Springer/Correa.

20. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Lol. He ain't batting 8th or 9th. Sorry.