1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 12, 2013.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

No point in arguing. I had a reply typed up but it is useless. Disney owning everything means they can consider any losses as a marketing cost. They spend 100 million a movie just in marketing so........

Plus this idea that all shows MAKE money is not true. Simpsons hasn't made money since the last time the "actors" got new contracts.

Back on topic though the show has vastly improved. It is an easily accessible (not a comic,cartoon) way to get more backstory of the Marvel movies.

2. Remii

Remii Member

I believe the prime time ratings are what advertisers care about the most, I'm not positive advertisers are really concerned about 3+ and 7+ day ratings because many of those viewers may not even see the commercials (or the sale they are having could be over, etc). You may be right but shows with high production cost on major networks with those kind of numbers usually don't last. I wouldn't be surprised if they move it to a different night next season and or put one of their more popular shows on the same night with it to help the viewing numbers.

How much money do you think Disney makes off the movies they spend $100 million in marketing on...??? And do you think they need a super heroless TV series to market their super hero movies...???

I don't know how true your statement is (and it's probably not) but the Simpsons has generated BILLION$$$ of dollars for their network and plus the show still gets good ratings _ so the network can put new shows on the same block in the hopes that the ratings from the Simpsons will carry over... Maybe that could be the case with Gotham (and like what The Big Bang Theory may be doing for Scorpion). A show that has value = money...

This show to me is geared more for the SHIELD comic book geographic (the ones who are familiar with SHIELD) and not the casual viewer which is probably why the numbers aren't better than what they are... But that could change.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Oh yea, and the Simpsons is a simple sketched cartoon... Just imagine how much different the production cost for a show like the Simpsons to make compared to a show like Marvels. Do you have a better example...?

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

DVR is now being factored in for advertisers. +3 is the most important.

AOS is important in introducing elements of the Marvel Universe.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-agents-shield-setting-future-marvels-cinematic-universe-1478897

5. Bandwagoner

It costs much more to make the simpsons. You have to pay the "actors" a ton.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Do you watch commercials on the shows you record...?

I think they'll give it another season and hope it can catch the wave of success that the movies have.

No it doesn't... Dude, those are voice actors... They don't get paid $1 million per episode like the actors of Friends were getting. That show cost around $2 million per episode to make. The first Marvels episode cost around $12 million to make and they probably have a $20 million dollar budget. Fox was able to build an empire off the Simpsons... Can't compare the two.

7. Bandwagoner

Do you have any links to prove that on the Simpsons? The actors alone were making 300K per and there are 5 of them. On top of that you have money going to Brooks etc.

8. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Not an exact source, and the interview is from 2001, but an interview with a Vice President of an Indian 3D animation company, so I guess he knows what he's talking about. Add in inflation, and that $1.8 million figure will be higher nowadays.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/interviews/executive/crest.htm

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've seen the 2 million dollar for the Simpsons thrown around before. I think AoS's budget per episode is much lower than $20 million. A lot of the budget for the first episode involved building things that they use now. AoS gets hand-me-downs from the movies for the episodes as well.

For the most part, AoS just has people running around with special effects that are probably a little more expensive than the stargate shows. Those shows ran with budgets under 2 million. I doubt AoS breaks 4 million an episode this season. The 4 million mark assumes that they are going to have bigger budgets later in the season just before the summer movies come out.

10. Bandwagoner

300K per actor figure is from 2011 when they agreed to take a huge paycut from 500K per actor per episode in the face of cancellation. No idea what they are paid now, but I agree with you that no way does an episode only cost 2 million.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Even if they are around the $3 million mark per episode _ that's still expensive for those kind of ratings. Hopefully they will invest more in the writers.

This article is from 2007...
    http://blog.cleveland.com/top_entertainment/2007/07/from_homers_iq_to_the_price_of.html
    During that time the voice actors were making around $400K per episode. In 2011 they were asked to take a 45% pay cut (rumor has it that the guy who does Mr Burns took a 70% pay cut)... So it's probably been under the $2 million per episode since then.

Anyway _ I read that Disney made a budget for 4 TV series.. I guess the new one that is about to come out is the second one.

12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Anybody watch the midseason premiere? Thought it was pretty damn good. Show keeps getting better and looks like they're special effects budget has gone up a bit. Saw some cool CG stuff for a television series.

I miss my boy Trip though.

13. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

That wait seriously felt like forever... but yes, I thought the episode was pretty good. It was pretty cutthroat on the part of Coulson, how he acted, and the actions that took place. They've also created some interesting dynamics.

Main one being Fitz lying and keeping Skye's secret
    (Angry) Mack and Bobbi's secret
    Simmons being so strongly against the Inhumans
    Reina and Gordon

Couldn't help but laugh when Fitz is talking about Skye's heart-rate and says, "...it's INHUMAN".

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good they all remembering Trip .. . . .he was good for the cast IMO

I did not like what they did with Raina [rena?]
    I am interested to see where it goes though

Rocket River

15. hvic

hvic Member

the storyline could be better but I love watching Jemma Simmons. Im a sucker for her accent

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

That was cheesy but I still liked it for some reason. It makes it official in the show now they are doing Inhumans even though we Marvel heads were in the know anyway.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was bugging me all show trying to figure out who the new bad guy was.

Right when he was popped in the forehead, it hit me that it was Fred Dryer, aka "Hunter" from cheesy 80's prime time.

He's aged pretty well, but getting old is still a b****.

Really enjoyed it. The one thing that bothered me is that Fitz seems to have magically recovered a ton from his aphasia during the break. If him stumbling and bumbling through dialogue was a problem, they should have thrown in some technobabble fix to account for his vastly improved state.

#337 Ottomaton, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Hunter jumped out at me right away. Was surprised he didn't have a bigger part. I remember the guy in a past episode who was on the 4400, you knew he was going to be integral to the plot. I guess "Hunter" not important.

19. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Good premier, looking forward to the rest of the season, there are just sooo many places they can go.

So how many of the Hydra heads did they cut off with that plan? It was pretty brilliant, once i knew something was up I was hoping it was big, it didn't let me down.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think that was mainly done to push them off to the side. I get the tone that Inhumans are gonna be the primary antagonists for the rest of the season, with Hydra in the background.

They also are gonna have to start doing some Avengers prep. They wisely staggered the season so that they won't have all the bizarre gaps waiting for it to come out. They also seemed to be laying some very early groundwork for Civil war and superhero paranoia.

Lastly I'm a little surprised/disappointed that it appears Reina is an entirely original character. With such a vast collection to choose from, it leads me to think they have some particular narrative in mind for her.