1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets select Isaiah Canaan with the 34th pick of the 2013 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 27, 2013.

?

Do you like the Rockets selection of Isaiah Canaan with pick 34?

1. YES

485 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. NO

110 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. pnr

pnr Member

They had a table that listed the PPG of some PGs in the second round and all of them had like 23-25 PPG.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Ya never know.

This cat can shoot.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

Is Canaan able?

I like the pick. profile says he lacks athleticism, but clip during draft showed him dunking with ease.

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

this is a good comparison, and gary neal is a very solid backup.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ew.:confused::confused: Ouch!

1 person likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Poor little guy.:(

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You don’t know for sure whether Leonard will keep his production up for years from now.
    2nd rounders can only be wins..... If you told me you found a Markieff or Marcus in the 2nd round.... I think we will be excited. Nothing wrong with that. Expectations are much lower than with a late lottery pick.

8. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I just laugh at the posters here that did not even think Isaiah Canaan would fit (probably didn't even know who he was), or thought of him as a possible draft choice at 34, quickly turning around to say "Bye-Bye-Lin".

I think my posts above (and elsewhere) shows that:
    1) You can be a Rockets fan first,
    2) Be a fan of Jeremy Lin,
    3) Like Beverley and thinks he's a great back-up PG,
    4) Want the Rockets to draft a PG, and
    5) Does not think a 34th pick drafted as a 3rd PG (which most teams need) means the starting PG is now cannon fodder (excuse the pun).

Can we be rational? Love the Rockets, thinks Jeremy Lin has played well once he got over his injury and adjusted to a more off-the-ball role, likes what Beverley brings to the table defensively without going overboard and thinking he's a real starting PG (yet), want the Rockets to draft another PG for depth, and actually like the player they drafted because there's a good fit on the offensive end and because Canaan is very ready to play a role and is very mature, and NOT THINK THIS AUTOMATICALLY MEANS JEREMY LIN WILL BE TRADED???

It's not like we got a 4th PG, including one that's going to be paid $6M/yr and hence we may not want to pay $16M/yr for the PG position including Jeremy Lin, and so we have to trade him. We're going to be paying $10M/yr for the PG position across three positions for a fairly-valued starter that is improving, a very good role-playing defensive minded 2nd PG with international experience, and another 4-year college career 3rd PG that offers something different to our back-up PG that's also a fit, and that could perhaps come in right away and be an off the bench contributor if the situation arises.

Good pick in my opinion. Let's see how things go with TRob or perhaps even paying a team that's doesn't even meet the league minimum salary requirement to take Royce White and waive him.

2 people like this.
  9. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

He is a dynamic little guy. He has a lot of gritt and passion. He and Bev will go at it a 100 miles an hour at practice. Hopefully in a couple of years he will develop into a great off the bench spark.

10. rocketblood713

after watching the youtube highlights im sold on him he will take somones job I like hes WB attitude chest pounding and how he attacks the rim his shot and looks NBA ready to me IMO but hey I could be wrong

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Average NBA point guard height: 6-1
    Isaiah Canaan height: 6-1 (or 6-0)

NOT really "undersized", he's right at size

Reminds me a little of Jay Williams without the passing.

12. gate470

gate470 Rookie

You nailed it. Good job predicting we'd draft Canaan too.

13. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

And you expected this to be solved with a second round pick? Who did you propose we drafted to fix that problem. If you do not know anyone, then stop complaining. Apparently Morey thought this was the BPA, or there wasn't an elite wing defender left in the draft (but that is unlikely since there are always elite players available in the draft, right:rolleyes:), and you even said that 2013 would go down as the weakest draft class in the history of the nba and you complain about a second round pick.

Morey has a great record with these low draft choices lets wait and see before complaining. Or we can just prematurely overreact and throw a hissy fit. Your choice.

14. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

And Morey's very good with choosing PGs.

You know why? PGs tend to have a lot more possessions, and they set up a team's play. It's more difficult to gauge a center who may not may not have gotten the necessary feeds/passes from his team, but you can't blame this on the PGs. Yes the PGs may not have the players to pass to or to finish, but Morey never just work with boxscore stats. He looks at what the player did in that situation to categorize whether they made a good decision or not, and their execution.

15. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Here's his interview after getting picked:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-zIwQ7hAyoU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

His bulldog attitude of driving towards the rim reminds me of Lowry, though is it just me or does it seem he has better handles and stop-and-go? He is definitely a better shooter already coming out of college. That 3+ tpg worries me, especially next to that 4.3 apg number. That said, scouting reports did say he did what he was asked to do. I guess that means to be a scorer for his team. If the kid can show some good court vision in the NBA, we might be seeing what happens when someone gives a mad scientist AB and Lowry's genes to play with. At the very least, we get an aggressive, speedy player who can shoot but is not afraid to take it to the rack on a 2nd rounder contract. That's useful in our offense regardless of D12.

17. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Moreys' early morning tweet

@dmorey: Journey to Houston! Welcome to the Rockets Isaiah! RT @SiP03: Good morning world!! Today is the Day!! #TheJourney

18. Star

Star Member

Shouldn't Morey welcomes him to the D-League instead?

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think he is looking forward to getting to Houston and doing the best that he can.

20. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

low basketball iq, doesnt like to pass, doesnt like to defend. pure score guard. brandon jennings or jameer nelson type of guy which i always despised. i am not a fan of lin or anything but this guy is nowhere near of lin or beverley.