Hibbert vs. Asik
Tags:  basketball, houston rockets, nba, omer asik Tags
makavelipau is offline Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #41
makavelipau
Rookie
makavelipau is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51759
Not saying Hibbert stinks, but I feel he is overrated. Hibbert has been playing longer as a starter than Omer has, and 12 and 8 is the best he can come up with as a supposedly 'elite' center. Asik's first season as a starter, he almost led the league in rebounding. I feel Omer has a much brighter future.

Sponsored Link
kaitanuva is offline Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #42
kaitanuva
kaitanuva is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finekaitanuva is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finekaitanuva is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33580
Hibbert has a moderately better offensive game.

atwood is offline Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #43
atwood
atwood is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #17218
second this. I think Asik is a more dominant defense presence. His offense skills will come along.

Hilbert has been in this league for several years. His development is obvious but slower than people's expectation. I wonder what his peak would be, 15/11 maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makavelipau View Post
Not saying Hibbert stinks, but I feel he is overrated. Hibbert has been playing longer as a starter than Omer has, and 12 and 8 is the best he can come up with as a supposedly 'elite' center. Asik's first season as a starter, he almost led the league in rebounding. I feel Omer has a much brighter future.

TheRealist137 is offline Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #44
TheRealist137
TheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jan 2009
Member: #36197
Hibbert is much better defensively. He is a feared shotblocker whereas Omer isn't.

Deuce is offline Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #45
Deuce
Contributing Member
Deuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #2940
Asik is a nice defensive center. That is all you get.

Hibbert is a TWO WAY player. Both offense and defense. That puts him near the top of the league at the C position.

“I think with this [acquisition of Dwight Howard], we move into one of the top teams in the West,” Morey said.
"Teams mistake at times like this when they make rash moves, rather than well thought-out moves.
My concern is our playoff team coming in has chance to beat every other team in the playoffs; it’s not on having the best team in the league July 6, 2013.”

pnr is offline Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #46
pnr
pnr is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodpnr is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

Hibbert is a TWO WAY player. Both offense and defense. That puts him near the top of the league at the C position.
Hibbert's reg season stats were really bad. 45% field goal for a 7'2 dude. That is really bad. He's doing a lot better in the playoffs for whatever reason.

Shaud is offline Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #47
Shaud
Shaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30631
How in the world is hibbert considered a two way player but Asik is not. Hibbert averages 1 more point than Asik with Asik fg% way better.

My twitter

DonatasFanboy is offline Old 05-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #48
DonatasFanboy
DonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDonatasFanboy is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2012
Member: #50323
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnr View Post
Hibbert's reg season stats were really bad. 45% field goal for a 7'2 dude. That is really bad. He's doing a lot better in the playoffs for whatever reason.
I don't think there's a mystery. He injured his shooting wrist during the Miami series last year. It lingered into this season. It was talked about in interviews and in Indiana media, but it never made to national media because there isn't much interest in the Pacers until the playoffs.

Hibbert's first third of the season (26 games): 9.7 points on 42% true shooting
Second third: 10.3, 46%
Final third: 15.5, 56%
Playoffs: 15.7, 56%

He got better long before the playoffs.

I never take an easy path. Easy paths are for quoters. - Donatas Motiejunas

wekko368 is offline Old 05-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #49
wekko368
wekko368 is Omer Asik -- working the boardswekko368 is Omer Asik -- working the boardswekko368 is Omer Asik -- working the boardswekko368 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2008
Member: #29783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaud View Post
How in the world is hibbert considered a two way player but Asik is not. Hibbert averages 1 more point than Asik with Asik fg% way better.
Hibbert can create his own shot while Asik needs someone to create a shot for him.

PuzzledFan is offline Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #50
PuzzledFan
PuzzledFan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodPuzzledFan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #35162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

Hibbert is recognized as an offensive center, but scores 11.9 ppg on 10.9 fg attempts, shooting 44.8%. Asik is only beginning to find his place in our offense and averaged 10.1 ppg on 7.5 fg attempts, shooting 54%. I don't know that your offense is really gaining a whole lot in scoring an extra 1.8 points on an extra 3.4 shot attempts. Hibbert may be a better offensive player, but it results in fewer points for the team. This is the tradeoff - Asik gets an extra 3.4 rebounds per game while Hibbert takes an extra 3.4 shot attempts. But Asik makes 4.0 fg per game and Hibbert only makes 4.9. I can see that he's a bigger part of the offense than Asik and takes harder shots I'm sure. But if Asik took 3.5 more shots per game and made one of them, he'd have better offensive numbers than Hibbert.

Nah, he'd get benched, heh. But Asik is improving dramatically, and Hibbert isn't . (His numbers are only down a little and that's might be the wrist and it might be the big contract, but it's probably not statistically significant.) But Asik is a dominant rebounder, Hibbert's rebounding numbers aren't really very good, at least not comparatively.

split41 is offline Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #51
split41
split41 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52694
Anyone who isn't choosing Hibbert hasn't been watching enough pacer games, imo.

Ynnis888 is offline Old 05-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #52
Ynnis888
Ynnis888 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodYnnis888 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #52012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Asik.

Hibbert can't make those acrobatic layups like Omer can.
Lol, the ballerina shot....love it.

I love Asik and he's my guy.

He will be much much better next season.

http://youtu.be/IngtBwg4lkQ

Akkuron is offline Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #53
Akkuron
Akkuron is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodAkkuron is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #54449
It wouldn't be this close if there was a stat for assists fumbled. I love Asik's effort, but you can't really compare him to Hibbert offensively. Defensively, I'll still give it to Hibbert. More than double the blocks is pretty good by itself, but the amount of shots he alters close to the paint is insane. Hibbert might actually be the top center in the league at decreasing opponents' shooting efficiency. Don't quote me on that, I haven't actually looked up stats.

The only thing Asik has in his favor seems to be rebounding, but then again, Asik is in the Rockets, which means crap PF's, smallball and a pace that generates a ton of possessions, thus a lot more rebounding opportunities. Hindsight is 20/20, but you gotta admit that his rebounding numbers are not exactly a surprise. Hibbert on the other hand, is in the Pacers. They're BIG and play slow and they're topping the league in rebounding % in both the regular season and the playoffs. You can't say Hibbert isn't rebounding well when he's the most efficient rebounder in the most efficient rebounding team.

PuzzledFan is offline Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #54
PuzzledFan
PuzzledFan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodPuzzledFan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
[QUOTE=Akkuron;7978210]It wouldn't be this close if there was a stat for assists fumbled. . .

Well, there is a stat for turnovers. And they're equal. But you're right about the shot-blocking.

Akkuron is offline Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #55
Akkuron
Akkuron is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodAkkuron is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #54449
Fumbled passes are counted as turnovers on the passer most of the time.

Air Langhi is online now Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #56
Air Langhi
Contributing Member
Air Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Aug 2000
Member: #1843
I hope some of y'all are watching tonight.

Severe Rockets Fan is offline Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #57
Severe Rockets Fan
Contributing Member
Severe Rockets Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSevere Rockets Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSevere Rockets Fan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Mar 2001
Member: #2288
This year in the playoffs:

Asik: 12.3 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 1.7 bpg on 56.4% FG, 64% FT.

Hibbert 15.7 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.3 bpg on 48.3% FG 81% FT.

Asik is in his 3rd year at 26, Hibbert is in his 5th year at 26.

Asik made 8.3 mil this year (and salary will stay the same while making 8.3 mil in 2014-2015)....Hibbert approximately 13.6 mil this year (and salary will increase to 15.5 in 2015-2016).

Hibbert better have a brighter future b/c right now it doesn't look like that extra 3pts (on a much crappier FG%) and .6 blocks per game are worth over 5 million more per year when it counts.

PuzzledFan is offline Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #58
PuzzledFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Langhi View Post
I hope some of y'all are watching tonight.
Yeah, I'm becoming a believer. Maybe the wrist was holding him back. Maybe the last four years were just leading up to this explosion to a new level.

sugrlndkid is online now Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #59
sugrlndkid
sugrlndkid is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donesugrlndkid is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donesugrlndkid is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donesugrlndkid is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donesugrlndkid is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donesugrlndkid is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donesugrlndkid is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50762
Roy is really educated...when he speaks...

RedEyesKirby is online now Old 05-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #60
RedEyesKirby
RedEyesKirby is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodRedEyesKirby is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52522
There's a reason why box score are unreliable. Most of you are using the boxscore to say how good Hibbert its. A lot of his defensive attributes don't show on the boxscore, like his dominating pick and roll defense, or his fast switches and paint presence. As well him being reliable at quick switches gives every other guy confidence to close pressure without worrying that their guy will slip in for a easy lay. All these plus his offensive board presence puts him a lot ahead of Asik. But I'm sure Asik will improve as he gets more starter minutes. And this is coming from a big fan of Asik.