1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hibbert vs. Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 27, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who has the brighter future

1. Asik

150 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. Hibbert

249 vote(s)
    62.4%
  1. thisiscaketown

They're both around the same age, but this is Asik's first year in an increased role while Hibbert has been starting for 5 years now. I feel like Asik has more room to improve, and he has better endurance than Hibbert. I take Hibbert now, but I take Asik in the future if he continues to work hard.

2. slestack11

slestack11 Member

What is with these polls comparing Rockets players to other players that are at a much higher level. Asik is really good, but Hibbert is an elite center in this league. Maybe a poll comparing Asik with DeAndre Jordan would be more appropriate. I'd take Asik over DeAndre.

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Deceptively*

4. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I'd take Asik, in our system, all day.

He's a better rebounder than Hibbert, and it's his defensive rebounding that fueled our high paced offense.

Per 48 minutes, Hibbert averaged 7.4 rebounds per game.

Asik averaged a whopping 13.1 rebounds per game.

5. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

*Correction*

6. Nook

Nook Member

Hibbert was anything but dominating this season. He can be a load in particular match ups but overall was anything but elite.

7. GIGO

GIGO Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Roy was lucky didn't get injured during that block on anthony... very dangerous play right there... 1 broken finger would have done it for his season...

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's truly pathetic when a 12 and 8 guy with above average (but nothing overly special) defense is considered "elite" by anyone.

10. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

For the price I'll take Asik. He can rebound and he's nasty

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He had an injured shooting wrist to start the year, and it bothered him the first few months. He did much better after that.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Good lord Roy Hibbert is overrrated by this board. Saying he is better and it's not close. Exactly who good do you think Hibbert is?

He has underachieved most of his career.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i don't know about the quickness part. Hibbert relies on his team's great perimeter and help D to stay inside. If he had to move more, he'd get exposed much more.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He's improved a ton, including his mobility. He seems to improve something every year, including year to year during his college days and in the NBA. Which gives a reason to think that he might still improve, despite being 26. A very hard worker, changed his body a ton since coming to the NBA - dropping a ton of extra weight at first and being super easy to push, then adding muscle mass over the last couple years. He moves better too compared to college (but still slow compared to most NBA centers). There was a time for example when Al Horford used to simply outmuscle Hibbert in the post, now it's the opposite.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Measly 12 & 8. :p

Why isn't Roy Hibbert dominating? He's 7 freaking 2! I guess he could be 7'3 like Hasheem Thabeet and worthless but...I feel like Hibbert could be or should be better than he is.

Ignoring contracts, I'd give the slight edge to Hibbert. Not ignoring contracts, Asik. What can $5,294,104 get you?

I actually wanted the Rockets to go after him last year, ha. Didn't happen. Portland did, Indy matched.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Something is wrong when you're 7'2", 280lbs and average less than 10 assists per 36 minutes over your career. If you're crap at everything else you should still be able to rebound at a high rate.

Hibbert has well above average size for his position but he's still only an average rebounder for his position. And it's not like he's a better offensive player than Asik, nor does he have better defensive fundamentals.

He blocks more shots. That's about it.

Needless to say, I voted Asik.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

^wrote 10 assists but meant 10 rebounds. WTB edit function

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't think that's fair. Hibbert is a top 5 offensive rebounder in the league and playing on the best overall rebounding team in the league. He's surrounded by some of the best rebounding perimeter guys. Offensive boards are more of an individual effort, defensive boards are more about fundamentals. If you box out and let your little guys grab the defensive board, you are doing fine.

Asik is a great rebounder. But Hibbert isn't bad at all, he's very good. If you had me choose between for example Al Jefferson -- who rarely gets an offensive board but pads his stats by chasing defensive boards even when it hurts the team -- it's an easy choice.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

I voted Asik because he had a solid season; Hibbert didn't. Performance matters more than looks.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im with JR on this one.

Ignoring contracts its Hibbert just slightly.

Taking contracts into account, its Asik all day long.

With some improvement from Asik over the next few years, and Hibbert not improving much, I can see Asik being better than Hibbert in a year or two.