1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think it's time for Toney Douglas to start.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EarlIII, Nov 13, 2012.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

Even with currently reduced usage, Lin assist rate is still decent, and I think the opposing teams are still wary about Lin... that takes some pressure off Harden..

2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Sure, if we are trying to tank, this makes perfect sense. Harden with a even more inconsistent scoring option in the starting unit, perfect way to get a higher draft pick.

3. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I'll give you this. It would certainly be fun to see Lin run the offense instead of running into the corner. As for the original post, well...

4. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

ROFL ROFL

5. beta ticket

beta ticket Member

Hahaha.

6. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

You are cracking me up.

7. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Have never seen him dunk.

8. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

threadstarter's smoking sherm.

9. Rockie_rocker

Rockie_rocker Member

i am totally with u. its going to kill harden very soon if harden play like 40mins every night.

then everybody get ball, its all about develop the kids, not to wear them down or destroy their confidence

10. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Thoughts, that would be ridiculous.

11. sidestep

sidestep Member

I think defensive intensity and 'clinginess' are too easily equated with 'lockdown' defense. Sticking too close to your man makes it easier to get beaten off the dribble, which by my eye test based on an admittedly small sample size has happened with Douglas enough for me to question his defense. I don't think he's good at anticipating and cutting off dribble penetration at the best angles -- these are skills that go beyond effort, intensity, and athletic ability.

Westbrook -- who plays defense with effort and intensity and certainly has athleticism such as lateral quickness -- has middling defensive stats, even last season. This season, his defensive PPP is .85, which is ranked #128. Douglas' PPP is .87, which is ranked #142. These are small sample sizes, but including what Douglas did last year, I can say he plays defense with high energy, but that's not the same as being 'lockdown.' Esp if we also account for aspects that go beyond effort and intensity, such as help defense, rotations, handling picks, etc.

Also, there can be a serious price for such defensive intensity: overfouling. (I immediately think of Delfino in the Miami game, who was harassing the ball handler but he ended up fouling him after three attempts at </none><none>stealing. Another example is </none><none>Shumpert, whose defense is somewhat overrated bc of the price paid for it -- he had like the 2nd highest fouling rate among guards last year!) Such </none><none>fouls </none><none>stop the shot clock from running down for that possession, and can add up to free trips to the line for the opposing team at the end of the quarter, which can really tilt the balance. This season, Douglas averages 4.6 fouls per 36 minutes. That's a lot. By comparison, Lin's averages 2.4 personal fouls per 36m, which is remarkable given his steal rate. Another example is Lowry, who can harass players without overfouling.

The point of my post is not to dis Douglas, but to offer another perspective on what counts as good defense. I think defensive intensity and aggressive clinginess are too readily associated with being a 'lockdown' defender.
    </none>

#131 sidestep, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  12. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

I like this idea quite a lot. Not even joking.

Won't happen though, as Morey would want Lin's trade value as high as possible and he won't get that with Lin on the bench.

13. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

He won't get that with Lin camping in the corner either.

14. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

That's the current dilemma for sure. Which leads me to wonder if Lin might be more valuable as a high production 6th man or starting spot-up shooter. Earl might be onto something. Maybe after Morey sorts out the Royce mess he can tackle this.

15. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

not sure if troll post but if sampson had his way, this is exactly what he would do. I don't think he would even play Jeremy. I am sure it killed him to watch Jeremy throw that airball. Too bad he is no phil jackson.

16. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

That's not what Sampson says! You guys think its a stupid idea but unfortunately we're a couple of games and a couple of airballs away from this becoming true.

17. kinein

kinein Member

This deviates from his blueprint.

Lin led his team to a state championship. His team lost to prior-state champions. The guys hit game winners in triple OT in college, balled it out against #1 draft picks. Taken on Kobe Bryant in the Garden. The guy led Harvard all 4 years. The guy was given the greenlight by D'antoni - whom coached Nash and other greats - and is now coaching the Lakers.

One of his greatest strengths which don't translate typically onto a piece of paper or isn't easily grasped if you haven't played competitively or coached - is his decision making and court vision.

You strip away his confidence and ignore the fact he's still recovering from knee surgery - you stick him a corner and ask him to become Steve Novak or Ray Allen - take away momentum and rhythm and your basically taking away asset after asset. You might as well ask him to cut off one of his arms and hop on one foot the entire game - blindfolded ~ and grow wings. That is not how you develop a player.

I expect him to work hard on his game - but asking him to become a spot up shooter ~ your not using him to his fullest potential.

The guy is a leader, fierce competitor, and through and through team-player.

Just because he hasn't complained or voiced his frustrations publicly doesn't mean there isn't a problem - watch him. Review his past and all the hard-work he has put in each off-season ~ and review where he is at. Your only diminishing someone whom needs to be pushed into the spotlight - coaching needs to look at him and push him back to what he does best.

attack - decide - facilitate - attack, inside and outside, QB for the deep ball everytime - build chemistry with teammates - speed up the offense and keep the tempo going all 4 quarters

Lin needs to score in the 1st quarter. He needs to unleash an onslaught from the get go - and keep improving.

Just saying.

1 person likes this.
  18. kinein

kinein Member

Time to wait for the game, starting to ramble.

[​IMG]

19. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

Hey I agree with you 100%. Lin showed great progression during the preseason, starting slow and shedding rust, and leading to a 10pt, 12 assist win against the Grizzlies. Things changed though when Harden was brought in. His role as floor general and opportunity to improve as a PG don't exist any longer. May as well turn a lemon into lemonade. Gasol to HOU and Lin to LAL is a good deal for both teams.

20. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

Nor does she need to. Yum.