ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner


Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

View Poll Results: The Houston Rockets Select..
Terrence Ross 56 6.01%
Meyers Leonard 161 17.27%
Terrence Jones 84 9.01%
John Henson 44 4.72%
Austin Rivers 385 41.31%
Dimian Lillard 21 2.25%
Arnett Moultrie 56 6.01%
Moe Harkless 7 0.75%
Royce White 38 4.08%
Others 80 8.58%
Voters: 932. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
With the 14th pick in the 2012 NBA Draft..
Tags:  14th pick, 2012, basketball, draft, houston rockets, nba, nba draft Tags
CantBeRight is offline Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #61
CantBeRight
Member
CantBeRight is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,552
Member: #50494
    Reply With Quote
I want RIVERS.

__________________
Fan of the Houston Rockets and Boston Celtics
 
Sponsored Link
DaFranchise03 is offline Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #62
DaFranchise03
Member
DaFranchise03 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2009
Posts: 439
Member: #36784
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooliobob View Post
I'm not sure Austin Rivers would be the wisest choice for the Rockets. He has talent, but I'm not that sold on a shot-happy, tweener 2-guard. Those usually don't work out so well for teams.

The fact that he always goes back to his right hand is somewhat of a worrisome aspect to his game. From my own experiences of playing ball, it's almost necessary that a guard is able to finish with both hands, especially if you are talking about the NBA level. You won't find many guards at the NBA level that aren't able to finish with either hand. I've watched Rivers play since he was in high school and it's definitely one of his most glaring weaknesses. The reason I state this is because you can look at the footage and you can understand why the stats back up the point I'm trying to make.

At the high school level, Rivers was a decent athlete and was able to get away with simply using his right hand to finish on offense end. When he attacks from the right side, he almost always goes to the right to left crossover but for whatever reason always, and I mean ALWAYS refers back to that right hand to finish the shot, even when uncontested. When Rivers attempts to attack from the left side of the floor, his go-to move is the mini jab step to a fall away jumper. He almost NEVER cuts from the left side. Rivers was able to get away with being the type of player he was due to the level of competition and the fact that he was a better athlete then most of the players he went up against.

Coming out of high school, Rivers was touted as one of the best, if not THE best SG coming out of HS. There were huge expectations at Duke and to a large degree, he really underperform. Matter of fact, Duke as a baske4tball program this year underperformed or did not meet expectations. While I'm not saying 15 ppg at the college level is a small feat, he definitely wasn't as dominating at the college level as compared to his days in HS, and the reason for this is because a lot of players and teams had figured out how to neutralize Rivers. Also, when matched up against athletes that were either comparable or more athletic, his offensive skill set was greatly diminished. In many games, Rivers was pretty much relegated to being 6'3' jump shooter. Teams would purposely force Rivers to his left because they knew he wasn't used to going to his left and couldn't finish with that hand. In the NBA, you HAVE to be able to finish with either hand. I would say that it is absolutely paramount for a guard (a scoring guard at that) to be able to do that. Combine that with the fact that he is a bit of tweener and not much of defender is somewhat of a big red flag for me. Of course, this is simply my opinion. He could be a decent rotational player, but he certainly isn't going to be the savior the Rockets need.
With guys like Gordon, Harden, Terry playing big roles combo guards do work. If they are good enough then it shouldn't scare teams away. It might take some time but he can learn to use his left hand. Its not like the Rockets need someone to provide immediate results.

Your right that it might now work out but I think he is worth the risk.
 
cooliobob is offline Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #63
cooliobob
Member
cooliobob is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2007
Posts: 449
Member: #26092
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFranchise03 View Post
With guys like Gordon, Harden, Terry playing big roles combo guards do work. If they are good enough then it shouldn't scare teams away. It might take some time but he can learn to use his left hand. Its not like the Rockets need someone to provide immediate results.

Your right that it might now work out but I think he is worth the risk.

Harden for one is 6'8' and has some legitimate size to play both the 2 and the 3. By Gordon I assume you are talking about Eric Gordon and not Ben Gordon, who flamed out after he got his money. The things that separates Eric Gordon from Austin Rivers are pretty big. For one, Eric Gordon actually has some PG skills even though he has the great ability to score. Austin Rivers for one doesn't have that. Another thing that separates Gordon from Rivers is the fact that he actually places some good defense and is built like a running back who can actually take some contract, whereas Rivers avoids contact at all costs. As for Jason Terry, if Austin Rivers can be as good as Jason Terry, all the power to him. However, I don't think Jason Terry is the type of player that the Rockets are looking to build a team around. The team has enough role players and they desperately need a star. Austin Rivers is NOT that star.
 
rocketblaze is offline Old 04-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #64
rocketblaze
Member
rocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2009
Posts: 4,311
Member: #41757
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooliobob View Post
Harden for one is 6'8' and has some legitimate size to play both the 2 and the 3.
James Harden is no where close to 6'8... he's 6'5 w/shoes, 6'4 w/t out...

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...=0&pos=0&sort=
 
cooliobob is offline Old 04-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #65
cooliobob
Member
cooliobob is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2007
Posts: 449
Member: #26092
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketblaze View Post
James Harden is no where close to 6'8... he's 6'5 w/shoes, 6'4 w/t out...

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...=0&pos=0&sort=

You're right, he's 6'5". Still, that is decent size at the 2 guard position. James Harden is also built differently and can absorb the contact. When you watch Harden play, he doesn't shy away from the contact AND I have to emphasize the fact that he can finish with either hand. Harden's mindset is also very different from Rivers, he doesn't always go down the floor always looking for his own shot. He's also a pretty good defender at his position. I'm a big fan of James Harden.
 
hahachui is offline Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #66
hahachui
Member
hahachui is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,095
Member: #36040
    Reply With Quote
just pick the best players available
 
ObamaFan is offline Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #67
ObamaFan
Member
ObamaFan is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,796
Member: #50760
    Reply With Quote
Trade Lowry to the Hornets for the 10th overall pick, Jason Smith and a Lottery protected pick in 2013 (top 5)

Draft Perry Jones 10th overall

Draft Jeremy Lamb 14th overall

Draft Tony Wroten 16th overall


----

We will then have the biggest and tallest team in the NBA

PG- Goran Dragic( 6'3), Tony Wroten( 6'5)
SG Kevin Martin (6'7), Jeremy Lamb( 6'6), Courtney Lee( 6'5)
SF- Chandler Parsons (6'10), Perry Jones( 6'11), Marcus Morris( 6'8)
PF- Luis Scola ( 6'9), Donatas Motiejunas( 7'0), Patrick Patterson( 6'9)
C- Sam Dalembert ( 6'11), Jason Smith( 7'0), Greg Smith ( 6'10)


We would be the tallest team in the league
 
MambaJoe is offline Old 04-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #68
MambaJoe
Member
MambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,220
Member: #43157
    Reply With Quote
I thought we are getting the 13th overall pick because I thought the Suns would get the 14th pick since they have a better record than us I suppose. I thought the Rockets are in 10th place in the west and that should give us the 13 spot. I mean I don't remember a 9th standing team getting an higher draft than a 10th standing team.

__________________
NEW AGE

No Government in our country can lawfully stifle free speech and fine those who exercise it; the NBA under present circumstances can both stifle and fine players and coaches who speak up.
 
MambaJoe is offline Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #69
MambaJoe
Member
MambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMambaJoe is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,220
Member: #43157
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MambaJoe View Post
I thought we are getting the 13th overall pick because I thought the Suns would get the 14th pick since they have a better record than us I suppose. I thought the Rockets are in 10th place in the west and that should give us the 13 spot. I mean I don't remember a 9th standing team getting an higher draft than a 10th standing team.

Sorry my mistake. I didn't realized that the Rockets have gotten ahead of the Suns in the standings. If they would have lost that last game, we would be in the 10th spot instead of the 9th. I wished they should have just tanked the last few games of the season knowing they won't make the playoffs and just lose all the games that really didn't count so our lottery pick would be higher but the Rockets won the last 2 games I believe when they could have lost it since they know they are out of the playoffs race.

I know its a lot to do with the pride but sometimes when you know that you are not going to make the playoffs anymore, I say just let all the young guys play and get more experience and have a few more extra lost and fall into the lower seed so they can get a nice high draft pick for a player that can change this franchise around.

__________________
NEW AGE

No Government in our country can lawfully stifle free speech and fine those who exercise it; the NBA under present circumstances can both stifle and fine players and coaches who speak up.
 
DaFranchise03 is offline Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #70
DaFranchise03
Member
DaFranchise03 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2009
Posts: 439
Member: #36784
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooliobob View Post
You're right, he's 6'5". Still, that is decent size at the 2 guard position. James Harden is also built differently and can absorb the contact. When you watch Harden play, he doesn't shy away from the contact AND I have to emphasize the fact that he can finish with either hand. Harden's mindset is also very different from Rivers, he doesn't always go down the floor always looking for his own shot. He's also a pretty good defender at his position. I'm a big fan of James Harden.
http://nbadraft.net/players/austin-rivers
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Austin-Rivers-5743/

This finish with either hand idea is ridiculous. He can learn to use his other hand. Its not that big a deal. Both of these sites also talk about him being able to get to the rim. They also talk about him having the potential to be a threat as a scorer in the nba.

We all wish we can get a player like harden but name a similar player we can actually get? My point with Harden both players can create off the dribble. With the rules today you dont need to be a 6'6 to play the posotion. The sg position is not the same so when rivers bulks up he will fit right in.
 
Da_Spark is offline Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #71
Da_Spark
Member
Da_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,346
Member: #34364
    Reply With Quote
Some players can't even finish with either hand.

__________________
Follow me on twitter guys! https://twitter.com/ShowMeTheMorey
 
Da_Spark is offline Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #72
Da_Spark
Member
Da_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,346
Member: #34364
    Reply With Quote
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2MPIUC-H2OA

See what i mean.

__________________
Follow me on twitter guys! https://twitter.com/ShowMeTheMorey
 
Carl Herrera is offline Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #73
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Posts: 32,172
Member: #22691
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooliobob View Post
Harden for one is 6'8' and has some legitimate size to play both the 2 and the 3. .
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-Harden-1241/

6'4'' without shoes. He has a really long wingspan, though.

__________________
J.J. Watt gives a better effort on offense than James Harden does on defense.
 
Da_Spark is offline Old 04-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #74
Da_Spark
Member
Da_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,346
Member: #34364
    Reply With Quote
This is a glimpse of what he can do in a big game...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FbkWyWTXhyU

__________________
Follow me on twitter guys! https://twitter.com/ShowMeTheMorey
 
Da_Spark is offline Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #75
Da_Spark
Member
Da_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,346
Member: #34364
    Reply With Quote
Rivers finishes with the left hand on first play... Looks good doing it as well.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbkj3eSYAb8

__________________
Follow me on twitter guys! https://twitter.com/ShowMeTheMorey
 
coachbadlee is offline Old 04-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #76
coachbadlee
Rookie
coachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 16,491
Member: #45147
    Reply With Quote
If there are no trades...
#14 Jeff Taylor
#16 Fab Melo

__________________
"James Harden's defense is only a problem when his offense becomes a problem."
Hey Texans!!! Keep #1. Draft Barr!!!
"Are you kidding me??!! That's your point guard!!" Matt Bullard
 
cooliobob is offline Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #77
cooliobob
Member
cooliobob is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2007
Posts: 449
Member: #26092
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Spark View Post
Rivers finishes with the left hand on first play... Looks good doing it as well.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbkj3eSYAb8


If you've watched Rivers enough, you will know full well of his tendencies. Just because you can post a youtube video that shows he can get off a left handed layup doesn't mean that he does that on a regular basis as I can show you about 50 other videos where you won't see a single left-handed layup. He has a tendency to drive right and more often than not, he will take that shot left-handed. For a scoring guard, being able to finish with either hand IS paramount. I never said he didn't have a knack for being able to score, however, he will find it more to difficult to score in the NBA, because he won't be able to beat athletes off the dribble quite as easily as their are far more athletes on his level or higher, athletically. I never said he didn't have a plethora of offensive moves, but is is far from a guy that is able to create shots for others. He is the very definition of a ball-stopper and almost always looks for his own shot.

Somebody earlier on the board mentioned how COMBO guards can be successful in the league. This is true, problem is, Austin Rivers ISN'T a combo guard. The reason why a player is deemed a combo guard is that he can play BOTH guard positions and trust me, if you've followed Rivers as extensively as I have, you know full well that he is FAR from a guard with actual PG skills. Does he have handles, most definitely, but what he actually lacks is court vision and passing skills, both of which are important to a PG. A please, don't copy of video of Austin Rivers from Youtube with him making a pass and deem him an adept passer, because he is not. Austin Rivers is the very definition of a SCORING guard, but far from that of a COMBO guard. There is a difference.


With that being said, Austin River's ability to score is not even the main concern here. The major concern here include his shot-happy tendencies, his lack of real size and strength (being a tweener at his position), lack of actual PG skills, and being a non-existent defender. To me, we already have a player like that on the roster and his name is Kevin Martin. While, Austin Rivers certainly has talent, he isn't what the Rockets need.
 
cooliobob is offline Old 04-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #78
cooliobob
Member
cooliobob is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2007
Posts: 449
Member: #26092
    Reply With Quote
If you've watched Rivers enough, you will know full well of his tendencies. Just because you can post a youtube video that shows he can get off a left handed layup doesn't mean that he does that on a regular basis as I can show you about 50 other videos where you won't see a single left-handed layup. He has a tendency to drive right and more often than not, he will take that shot EDIT: RIGHT-handed. For a scoring guard, being able to finish with either hand IS paramount. I never said he didn't have a knack for being able to score, however, he will find it more to difficult to score in the NBA, because he won't be able to beat athletes off the dribble quite as easily as their are far more athletes on his level or higher, athletically. I never said he didn't have a plethora of offensive moves, but is is far from a guy that is able to create shots for others. He is the very definition of a ball-stopper and almost always looks for his own shot.

Somebody earlier on the board mentioned how COMBO guards can be successful in the league. This is true, problem is, Austin Rivers ISN'T a combo guard. The reason why a player is deemed a combo guard is that he can play BOTH guard positions and trust me, if you've followed Rivers as extensively as I have, you know full well that he is FAR from a guard with actual PG skills. Does he have handles, most definitely, but what he actually lacks is court vision and passing skills, both of which are important to a PG. A please, don't copy of video of Austin Rivers from Youtube with him making a pass and deem him an adept passer, because he is not. Austin Rivers is the very definition of a SCORING guard, but far from that of a COMBO guard. There is a difference.


With that being said, Austin River's ability to score is not even the main concern here. The major concern here include his shot-happy tendencies, his lack of real size and strength (being a tweener at his position), lack of actual PG skills, and being a non-existent defender. To me, we already have a player like that on the roster and his name is Kevin Martin. While, Austin Rivers certainly has talent, he isn't what the Rockets need.
 
Da_Spark is offline Old 04-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #79
Da_Spark
Member
Da_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDa_Spark is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,346
Member: #34364
    Reply With Quote
At 14th, i'd draft Rivers. Low risk, high return. It's a freaking 14th pick. Ya'll talk like you foresee Austin's future. The majority wants him too.

Les likes him, he will sell tickets!

__________________
Follow me on twitter guys! https://twitter.com/ShowMeTheMorey
 
Rockets_Texans is offline Old 04-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #80
Rockets_Texans
Member
Rockets_Texans is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2011
Posts: 907
Member: #49964
    Reply With Quote
terrence jones or austin rivers
 

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NBA Draft Lottery (UPDATE : Rockets get 14th pick) Da Wink Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 309 05-20-2011 04:23 PM
With the 14th pick in the NBA draft, the Houston Rockets select... zainahsan93 Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 204 04-28-2011 05:10 PM
Is it possible for the rockets to get the 14th and 15th pick in this years draft?? Sanity2disChaos 2014 NBA Draft 20 04-26-2011 05:40 PM
14th Overall Draft Pick Thread jzmagic Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 26 04-05-2011 01:16 PM
With the 14th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft the Houston Rockets select BEAT LA Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 112 06-25-2010 03:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.