1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 14th pick in the 2012 NBA Draft..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Apr 26, 2012.

?

The Houston Rockets Select..

1. Terrence Ross

15 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Meyers Leonard

46 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Terrence Jones

18 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. John Henson

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Austin Rivers

121 vote(s)
    41.2%
  6. Dimian Lillard

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Arnett Moultrie

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  8. Moe Harkless

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. Royce White

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Others

34 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I fully expect Taylor to come in and contribute just as Parsons did. He currently has the same problem as Parsons. He doesn't shoot enough.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Parsons is a second rounder.... he is a rare one...
    depends whole lot if we are trading big time or making just some small tweaks like every year

3. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

To ceiling is going to be heavily effected by his limited athleticism. He wasn't a great rebounder or a defensive stalwart at the college level and a great deal of that has to do with his lack athleticism and thin frame. He has good passing skills for a big man and decent fundamentals on the offensive end, but nothing spectacular and will most likely have to build on his post moves while also bulking up at the NBA level.

Honestly, I would take Meyers Leonard over Zeller as I believe he has more upside. Not only does he possess greater athleticism and a solid fundamentals on the offensive end, he has shown a willingness to bang on the defensive end. He's also two years younger and being a tad bit taller at 7'1", which doesn't hurt.

5. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

To clarify, I think his ceiling is going to be heavily effected by his limited athleticism. He wasn't a great rebounder or a defensive stalwart at the college level and a great deal of that has to do with his lack athleticism and thin frame. He has good passing skills for a big man and decent fundamentals on the offensive end, but nothing spectacular and will most likely have to build on his post moves while also bulking up at the NBA level.

Honestly, I would take Meyers Leonard over Zeller as I believe he has more upside. Not only does he possess greater athleticism and a solid fundamentals on the offensive end, he has shown a willingness to bang on the defensive end. He's also two years younger and being a tad bit taller at 7'1", which doesn't hurt.

6. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

A guy that I hope the Rockets consider with one of their picks is Tony Wroten. If you guys have never seen him play, I recommend finding out a bit more about him. This guy will put people in the seats. Draft boards have him going later in the first round, but he has all the tools to become an elite 1 or 2.

At 6'6' with a 6'8' wingspan, Tony possesses good size to play either the PG or the SG position. Out of all the prospects going in the first round (and quite possibly the draft), I would say he possesses not only some of the best handles, but also the best court vision I've seen in quite some time. His passing abilities are on another level and while he is capable of scoring, he is a pass first type of player. He also possesses great athleticism and can be a force on the defensive end. He will have no trouble staying with the 2 guards at the NBA level. In a way, he reminds of a young Jamal Crawford as they are both Seattle natives, except Tony is a much better athlete.

While Tony does have some work to do on his jump-shot as he can be a streaky shooter, he has all the tools that you would want in a 2-way player. While he is already very talented, I feel like he is just scratching the surface, as far as his potential is concerned. As the draft approaches, you can bet his stock is going to rise and if the Rockets can land him at 16, it would be an excellent pick. With the 14th pick, the Rockets should probably address some of their frontcourt issues, but Tony is definitely a player that the Rockets should consider.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If he's anything like the other 6'6" Seattle native PG the Rockets had recently I dont think its going to work out.

JK. I like Wroten, I think the 16th pick would be a good spot for him if a few of the other guys like Henson, Rivers, Leonard, etc. are off the board.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I agree with cooliobob, in that Tyler Zeller will drop, he's a 7'0 version of Tyler Hansbrough... blue collar guy who isn't afraid to mix it up inside, a solid role player, but not much else.

He'll most likely be there at 14th, and the Rockets will most likely select him... given that he comes from a big program, and has tons of experience.

9. nadman89

nadman89 Member

austin rivers and moultrie would make me happy

10. teebone21

teebone21 Member

i dont understand why austin rivers is so highly regarded on this forum when martin and lee have the SG position on lock. He is undersized, cant play D and not a consistant scorer and we already have to many guards. we need paint protection and rebounding EVERY real rocket fan knows that.

11. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

If the Rockets are looking for a "combo guard" who actually plays both ends of the floor, there is none better than Tony Wroten. Kid is left-handed has great size and athleticism to succeed at the NBA level. Has the ability to score but is a pass-first type of player.

A guy that I hope the Rockets consider with one of their picks is Tony Wroten. If you guys have never seen him play, I recommend finding out a bit more about him. This guy will put people in the seats. Draft boards have him going later in the first round, but he has all the tools to become an elite 1 or 2.

At 6'6' with a 6'8' wingspan, Tony possesses good size to play either the PG or the SG position. Out of all the prospects going in the first round (and quite possibly the draft), I would say he possesses not only some of the best handles, but also the best court vision I've seen in quite some time. His passing abilities are on another level and while he is capable of scoring, he is a pass first type of player. He also possesses great athleticism and can be a force on the defensive end. He will have no trouble staying with the 2 guards at the NBA level. In a way, he reminds of a young Jamal Crawford as they are both Seattle natives, except Tony is a much better athlete.

While Tony does have some work to do on his jump-shot as he can be a streaky shooter, he has all the tools that you would want in a 2-way player. While he is already very talented, I feel like he is just scratching the surface, as far as his potential is concerned. As the draft approaches, you can bet his stock is going to rise and if the Rockets can land him at 16, it would be an excellent pick. With the 14th pick, the Rockets should probably address some of their frontcourt issues, but Tony is definitely a player that the Rockets should consider.

12. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Nice try, Lorenzo Romar.

13. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Have you ever watched him play? He is legit.

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Because he's a name ESPN has sold to most people not paying attention to the other options. Played for Duke. Simply put; He's the "sexiest" pick available. Sure, none of that has anything to do with game, but I'm sure it garnered him more than a few votes.

For those of us making a more informed decision, he's still not a bad pick. I think Ross and White are better options. A few others are debatable.

15. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Yea, and I'm actually a big fan of his. Only saw him play 2-3 times, but I did like most of what I saw. His length especially.

buuuut that writeup of yours looks like it was written by his agent before he sent the emails out to all 30 GMs.

16. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Haha, understandable. I've seen him play quite a bit actually as I have family in Seattle, so I split some time up there. I just feel like a lot of people haven't heard too much about him and I agree with you on Rivers being the "glamour" pick, because as you said people will drink up whatever it is ESPN and SI throws out there without looking further and making the better informed decisions. Wroten is a guy I believe that can come in and have an immediate impact with the Rockets in case we lose Martin, Lee or both. But with that being said, I'm hoping the front office looks into shoring up our front court first.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Actually, there are a couple of good centers( NOT MOULTRIE!!!) in the lower 1st round. It would be a good idea to get the best guard available(jeff taylor)at 14.

18. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Jeff Taylor isn't a bad player and his game actually somewhat resembles that of Brandon Roy, but at 14 I think that's a bit of a reach. If the Rockets trade down and are looking for a player at the SF position, he is definitely a guy they should consider. Not the most explosive guy, but he is very sound fundamentally and has very good size for his position and could probably play some SG as well.

19. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Jeff Taylor isn't a bad player and his game actually somewhat resembles that of Brandon Roy, but at 14 I think that's a bit of a reach. If the Rockets trade down and are looking for a player at the SF position, he is definitely a guy they should consider. Not the most explosive guy, but he is very sound fundamentally and has very good size for his position and could probably play some SG as well.

EDIT:explosive scoring guy

20. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

if zeller drops then definitely him, probably sullinger too, at 14 at least.

if we keep 14/16 we need to go big/small... I say Terrence Ross.

Also Will Barton in the second round. Because he's the best SG in NCAA statistically.