1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Breakdown of McGrady Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by emjohn, Dec 30, 2009.

1. TheTruth

TheTruth Contributing Member

How about this? Redd I think is owed 17mil this year and 18 next, would it affect our ability to resign the current players we want to keep?

2. monster

monster Member

Nice job...thanks for putting in the effort.

I can't help but be Un-enthusiastic about most of the scenarios.

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

The situation is different this time though. If the team trading for him only sees him as an expiring contract and aren't expecting any on-court production, then then where Mac wants to go isn't really relevant.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not to mention Maggette is shooting about 53% from the field and has one of the best POINT PER SHOT ratios in the entire league.

Maggette's stats page

1.61 points per shot 3rd best in the entire NBA

The guy is playing great ball lately...not good...GREAT....and what would the Rocket do with an actual wing that is an efficient SCORER?

LOL...

And who has wanted him here in Houston for the last couple of years...hmmmmm?????

DD

5. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

A good scenario would be to trade Mac's and Cook's contract for Miller and Hinrich; however, we'd be moving 2 non-rotation players for 2 rotation players. Which would probably mean another adjustment by RA to the rotation.

With this trade, i can see Chuck Hayes being moved out of the lineup, but I think we have enough at the wings, especially once Budinger comes back. Whose minutes to take away? Not BROOWRY, Maybe lower Ariza's and Battiers Mins? Cut Bud's mins? I guess this is why RA's the coach...

6. Christopher

Christopher Member

I still think TMac for a Bucket of Sand sounds too good to turn down.

Git er done!

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Does this mean you're back on the Maggette boat? Or was that just a facade? (Poison pill)....

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

That MIL deal looks somewhat intriguing and one that I would assume Morey is realistically looking for.... one that brings in a former all-star that is struggling/having his own issues that could use a new fresh scene.

It also brings in two guys who's contracts end next season.

BUT, I think Skiles would keel over and die before he would ever want TMac on the team, thus negating any possibility of it happening.

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

But why trade away an injury prone player for another injury prone player whose got another 3 years left after this year? He's avged 64 games/year (not including this year), but he has played all but 1 game this year. He definitely is efficient as hell when healthy... but again..when healthy. I dont think we should take any chances on injury prone players which is why i'm kind of skeptical about making a deal for Kevin Martin (missed big chunks last year and this year).

10. DaDakota

I never left his boat, but I think GS would view his contract as somewhat of a poison pill......and it makes the argument more palatable to members of this board.

Me, I think he would help....he gets to the FT line a lot, makes his FTs...scores off cuts to the basket....and plays off the ball....

Yes, his defense is not great, but I have always contended a lot of that is environmental........and once he got here he would fall in line.

Morey has said that he values guys who get to the FT line, because we have Yao and it is an advantage.

Maggette is better than Lowry at it......and he is also a better scorer.

He would not start right away, but I believe eventually he would replace Trevor or Shane as a starter because of his scoring ability.

It is top notch in the league.

Every time he shoots he averages 1.61 points....that is not good...it is STELLAR !

DD

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The only possible deals that appeal to me would be a deal with Sacramento centered around Kevin Martin. The deal with Golden State featuring Anthony Randolph, Biedrins and Maggette. And the deal with NO if it's Peja and Okafor. I agree Chris Paul is probably out of the question, but if he were on the table there isn't much I wouldn't be willing to give up to get him.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

TMac and his agent make no difference. The agents are actually working to make a deal happen so TMac can play and they can all earn a new contract. It is in the agent's interest to get TMac to a destination where he can play. If they can accomplish this thru trade, they will. Or if they can accomplis this thru trade and buyout so McGrady can go to a team where he can play, they will. McGrady's agents are scrambling trying to find a deal Morey will accept. The Rox hold all the cards here.

As for the analysis of the teams, I am convinced of this:

1. New Orleans has first and final shot at clearing the deck with a McGrady trade. Morey wants CP3 more than any other player possibly available. So, if New Orleans decides to start over at the trade deadline, here comes Morey with McGrady and the talent.

2. After New Orleans, Morey is going to be working on Bryan Colangelo to get Bosh.

New Orleans and Toronto is where McGrady's agents should be concentrating their efforts. They should be offering a McGrady buyout to those two teams if they trade for McGrady and then they should put together deals involving bad contracts going out and some of our young talent going in to get New Orleans and Toronto interested in saving money and getting good, young talent like Landry.....etc.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Morey is fielding phone calls and saying, "No, that's not enough........."

The longer the Rockets hold out for the right deal, the more pressure is applied to McGrady's agents and the more likely it ignites a bidding war as teams see they aren't going to be competitive and they need to rebuild the fastest way possible.

The struggle is in New Orleans right now. They are trying to push that boat upstream by squeezing as many W's out of CP3 and company as possible. They would love to take McGrady and dump Okafor, Posey, and Peja, and keep CP3, but there is NO reason for the Rockets to do that deal.

Morey is going to get a deal. Morey is going to get the best deal available.

13. DaDakota

I don't want Chris Paul.....

I think Aaron Brooks fits this style better than Paul......

I know Paul is a better player, but he needs the ball all the time and honestly Brooks outplays him....

I would rather keep Brooks as the starter, because he is getting better....will never reach Paul's status, but is not that far off of it....if Paul is a 10, Brooks is a solid 8....

I would rather upgrade positions of need.

To me, the best trades are the Redd, KMar, and Randolph/Maggette trades.

Any of those 3 appeals to me.

DD

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'd rather take Monta than Corey. IMO we do NOT need another wing that could possibly get injured and flounder our cap space even worse than McGrady did.

I know Ellis is an undersized PG but with our system there really can be 2 PGs on the court and still work. It's being done now with Lowry and Brooks, for the most part worked out pretty well.

I'd slide him into the 2 position of the starting line up, but that would again cause conflict at who starts at 3 (Ariza or Shane). We all know it will be Shane but of course Ariza wants his minutes as well.

If there is a chance at getting an Ellis, Randolph, Maggette deal that would cause major disruption in our starting 5. Then again that may warrant another trade to bring in young talent or multiple draft picks, my thinking is Shane.... Sorry Batman looks like Robin's takin over. Pow! :grin:

15. Christopher

Christopher Member

I was thinking that watching them yesterday. I mean, with Brooks we have a guy that other teams HATE playing against. As a replacement, yeah, Paul is better. But to play on the same team, I don't think it works out at all.

16. DaDakota

I would think that any trade to acquire Paul would have us giving up Brooks.

I would rather keep Brooks.....I think he is good enough to win with and getting better at the Wing position should be our top priority.

DD

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I think any deal that would involve CP3 coming to Houston...it would include AB going to NO. But i agree with DD...i think AB fits out style of play much better then CP

18. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Damn DD...you beat me to the punch...

19. jjc1

jjc1 Member

I think Morey will stick with his plan to look for young players with potential to help us in the future so its unlikely he would do a deal like the one with Chicago because Miller and Salmons are one year rental (Salmons maybe two).

NY seems to have the most and consistent interest in TMac and I would like to see a deal like this:

Incoming: Gallinari, Curry, Milicic
    Outgoing: TMac, Dorsey, Taylor

NY doesn't want to give up Gallinari but this deal will free up $14.5 million for them next summer. I don't think they can find anybody else to take on Curry's contract.

We need to take on Curry's contract for one more year but we also get Gallinari who is great on offense and is a good shooter. He fits really well in our system. This deal also can reduce our payroll by almost $4 million this season which will get us really close to under the LT.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I would do Redd/Gadzuric for TMAC/Dorsey...Like RIGHT NOW as Redd would provide the outside shot we badly need and would be prefect with Yao. Gadzuric is a big man to help out which I was pretty high on but I guess injuries got to him this year. Also only 2 yrs on Redd and Gadzuric's contracts so not long term commitments creating tons of cap space in 2011.