1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I agree on the NOP and Ainge but totally disagree on the C's future. I can't think of a player more toxic to a FA signing other than Kobe. Ainge will have the trade pieces but where will the trade come from? SnTs aren't what they used to be. A player loses money in that situation. It takes a player wanting out so bad they will sign for less and if that is the case, why not sign them outright and keep the assets.

Your only hope is to trade young assets and/or picks for an older player on an imploading team...not wise nor likely at this point...or overpay for a FA which means offering a max contract to a non-max player and those kinds of deals probably won't even get you a playoff spot even in the East.

I think Ainge will cave in the end, take the best offer on Rondo and rebuild with the assets he has...which will be a very long road to the playoffs.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i understand your position that rondo absolutely does not fit the offense as currently set up. but i also have reservations that this offense will ever be successful in the playoffs. simply too much dependence on one lone perimeter player to create and too much dependence on our 3's falling. over the course of multiple 7game series that is just asking for miracle health/endurance on harden's part and horry/kerr reliability from the arc. this is especially true when we get matched up with a team like okc or memphis, where dwight has had a ton of trouble scoring in the post. that would mean literally one lone avenue (harden) to generate double teams and open looks.

so i'm not saying that rondo is necessarily the answer, but we definitely need at least one more well-above average creator on the floor and we should tweak/re-make the offense to incorporate that creator. bev, as much i like him, is unfortunately not that player. teague could be perhaps and is on a friendly contract, but his D does scare me. wish we could somehow get trey burke….pipedreams..

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Rondo's court vision will open up things for everyone. His ability to get to the basket while keeping his dribble alive would be a huge asset for a 3-pt shooting team like ours.

4. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I can't see the a Rockets dealing Bev... He's a defensive leader in the locker room. I'd give up Jones before I gave up Bev.

I'd much prefer going after Dragic; don't feel that we would have to give up as much, if that makes sense. The Suns wouldn't miss a beat by pushing Thomas to the starting lineup. They might like Capela, Caanan, and/or Nick J as well.

Any idea what Phoenix is asking for? Boston?

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If the Rockets do make the move for a 3rd star, it would be hard to imagine a 3rd team not being involved. This talk of 'what do the Rockets have that team x wants?' Is likely moot.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Isn't the game of statistics Morey's forte? If Morey felt that the team needed 30% mid-ranged shots, don't you think that he would have added those players? I cannot believe that the three point shot is any less effective in the playoffs than in the regular season. The same physics apply. It is much more difficult to guard a team 22 feet from the basket than 12 feet from the basket.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Why is that hard for you to believe? Doesn't FG% drop across the board during the playoffs?

8. ChrisInAZ

ChrisInAZ Member

Plowman,

What is this standing offer Morey offer for Goran Dragic? You are obviously privy to such details...what are the details?

The the Suns FO Ryan McDonough & Lon Babby have been carefully positioning the Suns for 18 months. They've assembled a lot of assets. Nothing amazing, but a large cast of young...some very young talent, some good draft picks and getting players under good contracts. The young players are starting to put it together in degrees, and it's hard to imagine any more "prospects" anytime soon.

The Suns are rapidly moving out of their rebuilding phase. The expectations are modest this year...just improve...get in the playoffs. Anything else is frosting. This year is really about next year and forward. Development/assessment. They are not trading for assets any longer.

Gerald Green might be the exception. The Suns may want to max out this asset come the deadline. It's hard to say right now.

Goran Dragic at only 28 is the veteran quasi-leader of the team. He is now, and will be in his prime for the next several years. Every indication is that the Suns want to keep him for the long haul. Goran has indicated he wants to stay, but understandably he will test free agency.

The currently Suns have one of the lower payrolls in the NBA (4.5 below the cap). More than doubling Goran's current contract will only push the Suns to around 70 million next year...about at cap level. You can argue that the Suns will have WAY too much money invested in guards, but they've planned this- Thomas is on the team mostly as a trade asset, and Bledsoe's trade value will continue to grow if he stays healthy...he could be the big trade chip within a year.

It seems so unlikely but if the Suns were to trade Dragic before the deadline, they would not want draft picks and/or prospects...role players. They'd need a star or near star to justify moving the current face of the franchise.

Again. What is the Houston offer for Goran in detail?

I'll also say this- Just because there is a trade offer for a player, it doesn't make a deal that much more possible. There are probably 20 "offers" from 20 teams for Dragic that are "standing"...as for one hundred other desirable players. GMs talk to GMs virtually 24/7...make offers. It's their job.

What is Houston offering that makes sense (at least to Morey) for the Suns to give up Dragic?

Here's the Suns current roster make up/near picks. Make this Houston offer make BBALL sense based on what's below-

CG Bledsoe- 24
    CG Dragic- 28
    SG Green- 28
    CG Thomas- 25
    PG Ennis- 20
    SG Goodwin- 20
    G/F Z.Dragic- 25
    G/F Bogdanovic- 22 (Europe)

F Tucker- 29
    F TJ Warren- 21
    F Mook Morris- 25
    PF Keef Morris- 25
    F Tolliver- 29

C Len- 21 (Soon to be starting. He's looking like a #5 pick now)
    C Plumlee- 26 (will be solid back-up soon)
    C Randolph- 30

'15 picks- Own, MIN 13-30, LAL 6-30/Own 2nd
    '16 picks- Own, MIN 13-30, LAL 4-30/Own 2nd, MIN 2nd if #1 not conveyed

1 person likes this.
  9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

The mysterious third player:
    Giannis Antetokounmpo?

10. arjun

arjun Member

we have no need for him.
    milwaukee...is not trading him.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Since you're making too much sense, most of the posters here will ignore this.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Across the board. Do you not think that Morey, with his multimillion dollar staff would have noticed if shooting from beyond the arc dropped off more than mid-range jumpers? (Hint - it does not).

13. sabesque

sabesque Member

Rubio and Brewer are Don Quixote and Sancho Panza?

14. Nook

Nook Member

There is a reason Ainge and Morey are not likely trade partners, both value their own assets quite a bit and neither is likely to take less just to get a deal done.

Having said that, Rondo has a limited market. A team that is not an elite team is trading for a rental. Also, point guard is a very deep position in the NBA, and Rondo is not a good enough shooter or scorer to be a 2 guard. Rondo has the reputation of being difficult and has his own injury issues.

Concerning the idea that the Celtics can hold onto him. Not smart. He is 28 years old, and will be on the wrong side of 30 by the time the Celtics are competitive. Also, he is going to require max or near max money. He simply doesn't fit the Celtics at this time or in the near future. Ainge can talk up how he would love to keep but Rondo but no one is drinking the KOOLADE.

I do agree with you that Ainge would NEVER say the only team he will deal Rondo to is the Rockets. First, Ainge isn't that foolish and second, Morey will not over pay. He had an opportunity to get a number of players in the past and refused to give up more than a certain valuation.

15. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

He's been awful. Beverley makes much less and is the better player for this team.

16. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Im sure this has been posted here but just posting again in case. Our NOP pick about to become much more valuable.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pelicans announce Eric Gordon is out indefinitely with a torn left labrum. Injury bug getting NOLA again...</p>&mdash; NBA Legion (@MySportsLegion) <a href="https://twitter.com/MySportsLegion/status/536929070672805888">November 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Asik been been injured the past 4 games, and now Gordon out indefinitely with a torn shoulder Ouch.

Not to wish injury upon anybody, but if the Pelicans fall off ( which there's high chance it'll happen) that Pels pick is looking a lot better.

18. cyberx

cyberx Member

19. sabesque

sabesque Member

If there was a side-agreement with Fegan to not pick up Parson's option as a part of the Dwight signing, wouldn't that also mean that Rockets were agreeing not to trade him?

Like, the only way the Rockets could guarantee his option wouldn't be picked up would be for him to remain a Rocket.

20. cyberx

cyberx Member

Interesting point! I do not know the answer to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.