1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Exactly. For $16M+ I cannot think of a worse addition to the Rockets roster.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, you are convinced that the Celts can/and will reload...and have enough when the dust settles to get there soon?

VS....rebuilding....I know Ainge has done it before, but I just don't think you guys can create a window anytime in the near future.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Anyone know when Papanikolaou's contract becomes fully guaranteed for this year?

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Agreed. The Celts are not exactly brimming with above average BB players right now. I believe that the smartest move the Celts could make is a Kyrie/Rondo + picks trade. That trade seems to make sense for both teams.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree with this assessment. There really has been no realistic indication that Ainge is moving Rondo and Rondo hasn't said he wants out of Boston.

6. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

I can't name another but it's still early in the season. Come February things could look a lot different. Ainge is notoriously a pain in the ass to deal with when it comes to trading. He always asks for the moon I don't think Ainge will just settle on a trade for the face of the Celtics franchise he will need to get back something to be able to sell to the fans. Another pick on top of the many others they already have, a backup PG in Cannan and a 3rd PF with nerve damage in Jones wont cut it never mind the pieces you would have to take back to make contracts match.

7. dobro1229

12.9M this year, but still. Rondo is a really, really good player, but beyond this year, he's going into this Summer as an UFA, and a team like the Knicks, Dallas, or the Lakers WILL offer him the max almost surely and his salary will then be jumping up to 18M plus for the next 4 years or so. That is alot for a 30 Year old PG who still has a limited offensive game.

If the Rockets can get him, they should get him no doubt, but there is some obvious downside in taking him Vs. another option like an Al Horford, Millsap or Dragic.

However... you know the old saying about beggars and choosers? You guys do have to realize that teams don't just give away players like this without really good reasons. if one... just ONE of them becomes available, we should consider ourselves lucky.

8. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Anyone have any "buy low" candidates? I'm thinking someone with 2 years or less on their contract.

9. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

Marcus Smart looks like he is going to be a really good pro. Smart combined with the right to swap Boston and Broolyn picks in 2016 is a pretty nice package. The 2018 Nets pick should be a pretty good pick combined it with Sully, Olynk or any other future picks. The Celtics have many assets to make a trade for a star. Celtics were probably in the next best position to acquire Love if the Cavs deal did not go down why can't they go after another star? What I'm getting at is the Celtics aren't being forced to trade Rondo. Spare parts wont get the deal done it will take a young player they are interested in.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Limited offensive game."

I still don't think that matters. Having an elite distributor is what matters. Right now we have Harden. And no real point guard.

We should focus on what Rondo can do and not on what he can't.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Buy low candidates only appear around the trade deadline. This early it is a sellers market and talent is at a premium.

12. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Rondo is a locker room cancer and he is too expensive. May be the last player that the Rockets need.

13. dobro1229

So.... I'm guessing you didn't even read the entire post and just jumped on one single snippet.

Read it again... no it doesn't matter. They should get whoever they can get with that kind of elite talent. All I was saying was that there are definitely net negatives with Rondo if you really do have an option between him and another star.

But that's besides the point... if he's truly available, you get him, and ask questions later.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It was guaranteed the day he signed it. Next year is not guaranteed.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Rondo would take the ball out of Harden's hands. And Harden is so much more dangerous than Rondo with the ball. Morey has gotten rid of every player who cannot be a spot up shooter that compliments Harden on the dribble drive penetration. Why would the Rockets change their philosophy now?

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

While I liked the prospect of having Rondo on this team, what makes the pro-Rondo camp think that his playmaking abilities will translate over to our offensive system? Harden's needing the ball aside, I think the problem is that our team don't have enough set plays to actually get the most out of Rondo. He's best when he's scanning the court and making passes to the open guys because they get open due to sets just like when Ray Allen, Eddie House, KG, etc were all there. Our guys just simply run and camp out at the 3 point line, waiting for Harden to initiate the offense.

I'd like Rondo to be here because he's a great player...but this is almost like obtaining an elite spread offense QB and plugging him into a ground and pound offense.

17. dobro1229

No. Remember the Rockets actually had to go back before the season and re-work the contract. Both years are now non-guaranteed.

However there is a date during the year when the contract becomes guaranteed for this year. It might be some time in January if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuming that the Rockets have agreed with him and his agent that there is no way in hell they will trade him before that if they ever do have to trade him.

Also, I have a hard time throwing him in trade proposals like some folks do around there for these reasons. I don't know that Papanikolaou comes over to the NBA without at least some type of verbal agreement that they are going to keep him and let him prove himself for a good chunk of time.

There is the whole relationship side of things that absolutely matters. The Rockets still have key potential players (Llull & Gentile) that they are going to need to bring over in the next couple of years. How they handle Papanikolaou & his contract matters now and in the future.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Papanikolaou's 2014-15 salary became guaranteed back on October 4, which is the same calendar date (in 2015) on which his 2015-16 will become fully guaranteed.

19. dobro1229

Ahh ok. I remember they had to go back and re-work the guaranteed date on year 1 before training camp. Wasn't sure if it was some random time during the season or not.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Rondo would obviously be a significant upgrade over Beverley.

That being said, I think Beverley can be a starter on a championship team. We have an elite starting lineup, our starters are not the problem.

We lack depth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.