1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

It blows my mind that anyone other then Fitzy's mom and wife would have a problem with him getting benched

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

most people don't like change. or admitting they were wrong.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Why can't it be as simple as people don't like what they've seen in Ryan Mallet?

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because nobody has really seen anything of Ryan Mallet... good or bad.

5. Major

Major Member

Mick fry: Makes no sense, where was this team going with Fitz? Nowhere! But a few on here would rather stick by a known going nowhere than an unknown who may or may not be the answer but at least you're trying. The staying pat because at least we arent last crowd just kills me.

You: Maybe it's because this team has bigger holes at other positions than at QB.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

after about 5 sacks per game and 2 losses and a couple interceptions, the way texans fans have been reacting all year, people will be screaming to bench mallet for fitz... :rolleyes:

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Nah.

They'll be screaming for Savage.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Good Fitz is a waste of time give Mallet half a season and let's see what we got.

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i'm quite certain no one wants to see Fitzpatrick play another game under any circumstances.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no way it'll take that long for people to be pining for the next backup, my guess is it'll start by halftime of the very first game.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nobody cares to respond to post #106 regarding the "he'll be sacked a ton because he's not mobile" argument.

I think some people around here are blindly grasping for pessimism straws.

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

Glad this scrub is finally gone. Should have never been signed in the first place. I like obrien but I have no idea what he saw in Fitzpatrick. Just cause he's smart doesn't mean it's going to translate on the field, cause he certainly played like ass his entire career.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not pessimism, it's just obvious. Fitz was running for his life half the time because the line didn't give him any protection, if that's Mallett instead it's a sack almost every time. Either the line protects better, or he'll be sacked a lot, simple as that and guys on the line have said as much themselves.

15. Cannonball

OK, so what about this? Mallett stinks it up. It's evident he's not the answer, just like Case wasn't going to be. His contract is up, we don't re-sign him. Fitz is still under contract. Savage is still raw and unready. There still aren't any quality FA QBs available next offseason (as they so rarely are). We go into the draft looking for QB but the top guys are gone by our pick. We have to settle, either in the first or second, for a guy who may not be ready to play yet. Fitz starts the season as the starter again because neither the rook nor Savage are ready yet.

Definitely not the ideal solution, but plausible.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to being positive, at least Mallett will probably be better than any QB from this draft class. Obviously that doesn't mean he'll be any good at all, but better than it could have been.

17. Cannonball

It's pretty ****ing simple. He was the best/cheapest option at the time. It doesn't mean they saw him as a long term option or that they had a ton of confidence in him. It just means that of the few ugly, drunk girls left in the bar at closing time, he was the least offensive. And considering OB's offense (or at least what we've heard about it, not sure if we've REALLY seen it yet), might as well get somebody could come in and at least run it by the start of the season.

Do you really think you wouldn't be asking the same question had we rolled with Cassel or McCown? I'm glad we got Fitz instead of those guys. We gave Fitz $7.5M over 2 years. Cassel and McCown both got $10M/2yr. If your hand is forced into rolling with that type of QB for a season (or half a season), might as well make sure he's cheap.

#157 Cannonball, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  18. Cannonball

Are you referring to the most recent class or the upcoming one?

I would disagree on both.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The most recent one, there really aren't any quality QB's that were in the draft last year and so far it's looking like Derek Carr is the best of the bunch. I think Mallett could be better than that.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Hopefully Fitzpatrick is cut this offseason to clear up 3.5 million in cap space.

Additionally, if Savage is not "ready" for 2015, then the Texans can go ahead and release him because it's evident he's not an NFL QB.

I think BOB effectively ended Fitzpatrick's Texans tenure with this benching.