1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Trading Deadline - Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

The prospects we got back are so good the team has decided to raise ticket prices. What a steal by Luhnow!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Astros have informed fans they are raising ticket prices in 2015.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/495222949176430592">August 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Those guys were only there at this point because of Fowler's injury. Hernandez/Fowler/Springer would have been the OF after he got back.

3. MadMax

yeah...i'm...wow.

4. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Hoes can go bye bye and never come back.

I'm still oddly high on Krauss. Always liked his swing, and his projections coming into this year were better than he's performed.

I'm dreading the day we DFA Krauss and he ends up on another team and produces. J.D. Martinez 2.0.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yep we need talent for this years pennant chase.

Getting 2 top 70 prospects and a first round draft pick is an extremely good haul for anybody, much less for a guy who isn't even an established MLB starter.

MLB ready bats weren't really available, getting potential future bats was the next best thing.

6. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Yeesh *pulls collar*.

I don't mind the price increase, per se. Teams all across the league are probably going to do something similar, and fans of all teams will complain under any circumstances.

But why announce it on the day after the trade deadline? What the hell?

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Pretty sure the guy we are plugging in is better than a guy most hadn't heard of three weeks ago.

8. Major

Major Member

This is all true - but I don't think anything they've done is surprising. They have a long pipeline of pitchers in the minor leagues, and a lack of hitting in several areas. All those minor leagues have to come up at some point, which means someone has to be moved. It's only logical to take some and move them for players at other positions - that's part of the reason to have such a deep minor league system. And if you're going to trade guys, it makes the most sense to trade the ones who you think might be overperforming and see if anyone will pay high for them.

These are two very different claims - which is it? You simultaneously seem to be claiming that you're tired of going to the games that you love going to games. You're either getting value from the money you spend or you're not. Let's say you spend $20 on a ticket to a game. Are you getting $20 of entertainment? If so, why are you tired of it? If not, why are you spending it?

9. Major

Major Member

Isn't Marsinick basically on the verge of being MLB-ready? He was up for the Marlins this year (though he sucked), so he's right there on the cusp.

10. MadMax

ugh...i'm not saying they're in a pennant chase. i'm not a total idiot (just a partial one) i'm saying i'm getting tired of kicking the can down the road.

11. MadMax

MLB ready bat to me means a guy who has demonstrated he can hit at the MLB level.

If Brett Wallace is the definition of an MLB ready bat because he hit at AAA, then that's not what I mean when I say MLB ready bat.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This isn't kicking the can down the road at all. They have several pitchers who can replace Cosart's productivity and potential immediately. They have a better prospect to replace Kike in the outfield. I can't see at all how this is delaying the rebuilding process.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Maybe you should say MLB proven bat.

Wallace was MLB ready, he just sucked really bad.

14. MadMax

why would you assume that? Hernandez was batting .284 in 81 at bats with a .348 OBP and a .420 SLG. Plus he was playing well defensively.

Marisnick has had about 160 at bats at the major league level...he's batting .178 with a .231 OBP and a .248 SLG.

15. Major

Major Member

Cosart is a young, fairly mediocre MLB-ready pitcher; if you're looking for an young MLB-ready bat, I think all you could get is an equally mediocre one. I don't think that helps the team at all. The goal should be to get potential building blocks.

16. MadMax

clearly i'm not going to change your mind, and i promise you i'm not trying to. :grin:

17. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Psh. What do you want from an outfielder? Production?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm sure we wanted MLB ready bats, but they simply weren't available, so we did the next best thing.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Jim Crane doesn't care if zero people go to the games. He could field attendances of 00,000 with a TV rating of 0.0 81 times and still turn a profit via revenue sharing.

The Astros went from one scam owner to an even bigger scam owner, and thanks to the constructs of the baseball CBA there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Keep hanging your hopes on prospects that will get dealt in a couple years, or boycott the team. Jim Crane don't give a fuh.

Jim Crane does not care about you.

20. MadMax

We're talking about a guy who has had a grand total of 30 starts :)

His first 10, he had an ERA sub 2. Yeah, he walked guys...and that's what happens when you bring up young talent. You give them time to develop.

That's the magic of this whole youth movement...if the idea is to bring these guys up and let them take you to the promised land, you're going to have to build in some time for these guys to figure it out. And it's a crapshoot if they will or they won't. Jury is still out on Singleton, for instance. And if the alternative is that, when they struggle, we flip them for younger talent all over again, then I have no clue when this team will actually win games again.