1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Trading Deadline - Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jul 22, 2014.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm tired of it all generally...it goes beyond it being Cosart..or Kike. I'm not thrilled with yet another move to acquire more talent to make Corpus and Lancaster better. I'm just tired of all of that. I'm tired of move after move after move...with very little to make the team that actually plays in my hometown any better. That team that plays in my hometown got worse today. I don't really pay to see or care to be a fan of teams in Lancaster and Greenville. I've been all about building up the farm talent...but damn it, how about building some major league level talent?

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Ruiz is still young and it seems like they're taking it slow with him. Moran was in discussion for the 1.1 last year so to get him now plus the comp pick is pretty good. Hopefully Ruiz or Moran or both become the real deal.

With two top 5 picks next year plus the comp the Astros pool will be massive. It's time to open the purse strings and sign a top FA this offseason and start packaging all these assets for a player like Stanton. There will be a glut of depth after next years draft.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing some of you will feel a little different in a year or two, remember the years when we were realistically supposed to be getting better, when we have the extra assets to trade for someone who can help the big league team at the deadline without depleting our farm system.

I appreciate how you feel, Max. I know Cosart was by far your favorite Astro. However, if he was from Wisconsin and never trashed Dallas, I'm guessing you wouldn't be this upset. :)

4. MadMax

No, I really would. It's not just about Cosart. It's about the franchise being all about stocking young talent. Last year, Cosart was that young talent. This year, he's gone. But we have more prospects to wait on. About how nothing seems to ever be about improving the big league club that I pay to see. No one gives a rat's ass about this franchise right now except for dorks like me...but if you're a Lancaster fan, being part of this organization is the bees knees!

Maybe if I didn't buy tickets, I wouldn't be upset. But I've been to 3 games in the last week....and it's enough already.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So Fowler, Feldman, Springer and Singleton were not about improving the big league club? Never mind holding on to Keuchel that many predicted could be moved.

I'm a fan of the organization having both the deepest minor league system and a good major league team. The latter ain't happening this year and trading Cosart isn't changing that and I sure as hell don't want to repeat what happened when we traded whatever depth we had there leading to it being the worst farm system in the league. Not to mention both main pieces from the trade could be here next year, depending on how Moran develops.

6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

My only concern at this point is 63 wins. I have lunch at Lorenzo's riding on it.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So next year we might pick:

1-1
    1-2
    1-30 (compensation from Marlins)
    2-1

???

4 picks in the top 40?

8. MadMax

Springer and Singleton are about the future. Those guys were in the system when Luhnow got here. Singleton concerns me. I expect both to struggle, as I do most of the young guys we're waiting on. I don't think we bring these guys up and voila, we're winners. It's why I think the 2017 thing is ridiculous.

So all I have to show as a season ticket holder for the last 3 seasons to suggest this organization cares one iota about the product it's charging me for is Feldman and Fowler. Yeah, that kinda makes my point, honestly.

9. MadMax

Exactly...there's an embarrassing Gallery Furniture sign at MMP that has number of wins to avoid 100 losses. What kind of a joke is that?

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This is encouraging.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>“Probably Keuchel was the one that we received the most inquiries on … we weren’t willing to move Keuchel” — Luhnow</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/494979815955775489">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, Cosart was just the tipping point and unleashed feelings you've been having, but not expressing? Cause like a week ago you were arguing with Granville that a 16-game improvement this year would be something good for the MLB team.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Let's just hope we can sign them all... But again, they can get even more picks the following year if they don't, right?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They would have moved him for the right price.

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Hehe, yeah, my seats the other night were first base side so that sign was staring me straight in the face. I feel you, though, on the recycling of prospects. Ultimately, I've got no control over the club so I've taken to make enjoyable sides bets with family to help me scrape by. I hope that 2-3 years from now we can look back and laugh at these things.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Max,

I'm sure we'll have a chance to reaquire him later on. Not like the Marlins are known for hanging onto anybody (even the guys they pay).

16. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know if Cosart will be good or not. What I do know is that he has not been very good thus far and he has been "lucky" if you believe in advanced stats.

I don't know that Moran and company will be good but I do know they have pitchers they want to promote to the big league level.

It isn't like they dealt Springer or Altuve or Dallas K. They traded a guy that they felt was replacable so I don't see this is further rebuilding at all.

I agree you eventually let players struggle. The Astros let Dallas K be total hot garbage for 2 years and now see the fruits of their labor. You pick and choose which players you let struggle long term and which ones you move along.

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So give credit to Astros for letting Keuchel struggle two years before figuring it out, but Cosart is no good even though he is 24 and has a 3.5 era through 30 starts

Uh, ok

18. Nook

Nook Member

No....... my point is that the Astros are willing to let some young players struggle and won't just pawn them off for prospects. The Astros let Dallas K struggle for 2 years before he produced.

It is all about making the decision on which players you believe will improve and which won't.

Also, that "3.5" era is the biggest joke in the league... all the advanced statistics lay out just how much he has struggled and his era THIS season has been 4.5....

If you don't like the Cosart deal, so be it, but to say that the Astros wont let their young players struggle is not true.
    :eek:

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm positive the Astros have been letting their young players struggle for years.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He never said Cosart will be no good, but we have other options. Nitro, Folty, Appel, we also have an army of lesser pitching prospects worth a look.

We can't keep every pitcher that shows signs of being good.