1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Sixers 1/12/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 12, 2013.

1. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

this is it...the learning curve...

2. Luca

Luca Member

Cool, thank you.

3. radd

radd Member

seriously, I just don't understand why we do so little pnr when harden and lin are so good at it. pick and roll should be the basis of our half court game when the fast break fails.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Probably because our bigs suck at the pick and roll. Also why we actually run Lin-Harden pick and rolls sometimes.

5. radd

radd Member

morris and omer suck at pnr, patterson isn't bad with his pick and pop, chandler is ok, and greg smith is excellent at it. we need to run it more.

6. coach41

coach41 Member

I seem to remember this. However, I would note that JLin's shot has changed since those days. It was hard to tell when the camera angle was behind him, but when you looked at the side angles, it looks like JLin releases the ball slightly "behind his head"?

I remember Rich Twu (the guy I mentioned earlier) breaking down Jeremy Lin's shot back in the day.

http://www.dreamleague.org/blog/jeremy-lin-the-revolution-will-not-be-televised-starting-today/

The link is from pre-NBA so the shot has probably changed a bit. I would have to watch some of the newer Lin videos (which there are some on YouTube) to see his training and how the shot looks compared to his Warrior days.

7. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

You may have already seen these:

During lockout.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CLzrLXQIbwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last off-season. Can't really tell from camera shot. I really want to know what that flame thingy applied to his knee.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hc7Rdl0TeHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's been pretty good for Pierce, a guy who likes to have the ball in his hands.

It's nice to have someone that can handle the ball and take the pressure off you sometimes. That was Tmac's problem his first few years, no one else could handle the ball. I'm starting to see the same thing with James.

9. Luca

Luca Member

The thing is the Celtics will not trade Rondo at this stage and Rondo really has a great quality big in KG & of course Pierce on his side. Coming to the Roxx and shoot 3s might not be his forte. Anyway, I hope Lin can develop into a good player for the Roxx provided that he is not traded.

10. jeddah

jeddah Member

11. VanityHalfBlack

14-4 against Eastern Conference Teams...

12. radd

radd Member

lin's fga for the game from synergy. he got 1 pnr out of 12. wtf we need to get both lin and harden into the pick and roll much more often.

3 ISO plays
    1 PnR Handler
    3 Spot up
    1 Offscreen
    1 Hand off
    1 Offensive rebound
    2 Transition

13. Luca

Luca Member

Well, I know right. The problem is our bigs are not that great at setting screens. Give this team a center like Tyson Chandler then they will P&R to death. The coaching staff needs to teach Smith to do it more often. I occasionally see the P&R between Lin & Harden if I am not mistaken.

14. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

wow dafuq happened this game. One game I dont watch.

And dafuq is Lin shooting 2/13? Its not like he shot any 3s?

Wtf?! how can you miss so much?

15. Luca

Luca Member

I didn't watch the game either. Apparently he missed a few lay ups, couldn't buy a basket this game.

16. torocan

torocan Member

Fouled like crazy at the rim with no calls. Same with Harden... way under normal foul calls.

As for the comments regarding PnR, PnR is a 2 man set. You need a good PnR ball handler (we have 2 excellent PnR handlers in Harden and Lin), AND you need a player with size who can set a solid pick, roll, catch and finish.

Right now, the only PnR roller we have with any consistency is Smith. Asik's picks are okay, but his catches aren't very good, and his ability to finish is poor.

Asik not only drops bounce passes, but he also loses passes when they are on the numbers (at his chest), and he has a habit of bringing the ball down when he catches it high (resulting in him being stripped).

Aside from this Asik doesn't dunk nearly enough (slowly changing), is not a reliable partner for lob passes, and if he has a pick and pop game you rarely see it unless the clock is running out.

Those are a LOT of tools missing from your PnR roller. This makes Harden's and Lin's game less effective.

Smith is good at catching and finishing, unfortunately his ability to rebound and maintain position on the boards is not as good as Asik, so we give up defense whenever he's in vs Asik.

Asik and Smith should improve as they're both young, but there's no guarantee we'll see it THIS season.

What we see right now is Harden and Lin ISO, or simply driving and kicking off the pick (which is fine IF the players can make the baskets).

Unfortunately, the rolling option isn't that good.

17. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

He got hacked and mauled on 4-5 of those misses with no calls, for some reason since the Hornets Game the refs have been letting teams get away with hammering our players on drives, pushing them out of bounds and calling us for off the ball or offensive fouls.

Harden blatantly was hit across the forearm on a 3 point attempt that air balled, he doesn't usually complain to the officials, but this time he was pretty p'd off.

18. Luca

Luca Member

Thank you for the analysis, much appreciated.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It's the stupid #Hardendrawsfouls hashtag crap!!

20. VanityHalfBlack

Sixers known for good defense???? 4 games in 5 nights???? Refs weren't calling our way??? Bad shooting night 3 games in a row??? Conclusion????

Thank god it's only January and we're still in 8th place, no????