1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets Dragic Far Apart, Return Unlikely?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

He's not

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

it doesn't? even if you are a franchise who is unable to ever get any good free agents to sign?

3. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

If he really does get offered $10M+/yr from another team and takes it, he certainly isn't dumb. But the Rockets sure would be dumb for matching.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Someone correct me, if the Rockets had declined the team option for Dragic and gave him the qualifying offer, Dragic would have become a restricted free agent since he was still a 3 year player at that time. Hindsight 20/20?

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He could also have taken the qualifying offer and we end up exactly where we are now. Not an unlikely scenario given the super short FA period and the # of guys who signed 1-year contracts.

6. olajuyao

olajuyao Member

BYE BYE GOGI! :-( he will sign with the Suns!

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Would he have become a restricted FA though?

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

where did i bash lowry or morey? i think asik was a bad signing and money that was not well spent. i think dragic is more of an impact player than lowry. i'd like to see lowry traded, and dragic signed. anything under $10MM would be good.

9. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Member

I mean i want Dragic back... but your gonna jinx us ya jackass

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I think the offer made to Dragic is a fair one

people keep saying Lowry is poison - It baffles me how the guy went from being mentioned in 1st half MVP/all-star talks to being a guy that is a team killer

I haven't heard/read a single player saying Kyle was bad for the team or even anything remotely negative about the guy - he was a hard worker and busted his ass off to improve his game (namely his shooting) to earn the starting spot

I mean Dragic was equally as amazing when he got his starting spot and deserves a fair contract

IMO both deserve to be starters in the NBA

and again, based on what I know and IMO, i think a lot of this Lowry/McHale clash came at the end of the season when Kyle came back from his injury (an injury again that was 'freak' in nature had nothing to do with his body breaking down or anything) and wanting the starting spot

McHale was right in bringing him off the bench there was no question about that, you could see how rusty he was but as they played on he was getting better, maybe not to pre injury form just yet but better. I think the biggest rift came when the Rockets went on that crazy losing streak and nothing was done to try to mix things up to maybe jump start the team. After losing 5 games in a row what was the harm in starting Lowry for McHale? Lose another game? they were already losing like crazy as it was. I think that upset Lowry more than anything

And now Dragic wants 10 million and presumably wants Lowry gone to ensure a starting spot (ok - its a bit of both the Rockets need to move Lowry to show Dragic they're committed and Dragic wants Lowry gone to show that the team is committed to him)

Here are their stats as a starter this past season:

Lowry:
    Code:
    Split	Value	G	GS	MP	FG	FGA	3P	3PA	FT	FTA	ORB	TRB	AST	STL	BLK	TOV	PF	PTS	FG%	3P%	FT%	MP	PTS	TRB	AST
    Role	Starter	38	38	1347	192	459	71	183	148	171	37	200	273	69	12	123	112	603	.418	.388	.865	35.4	15.9	5.3	7.2
    Dragic:
    Code:
    Split	Value	G	GS	MP	FG	FGA	3P	3PA	FT	FTA	ORB	TRB	AST	STL	BLK	TOV	PF	PTS	FG%	3P%	FT%	MP	PTS	TRB	AST
    Role	Starter	28	28	1023	175	357	50	132	104	124	33	98	236	51	5	90	94	504	.490	.379	.839	36.5	18.0	3.5	8.4

Lowry was the better rebounder (no surprise there) slightly better 3pt shooter by %

Dragic the better scorer for sure - more ppg and a better fg% to boot (much better) and average 1 more assist per game

they both averaged the same amount of TOs per game

Also:
    Lowry: 21-17
    Dragic: 13-15

team record in games started

Something to take into account as well - mentioned by BimaThug - (and this applies to both the better stats and the better team record by Lowry) Lowry put up his stats and records having a more than capable backup in Dragic - Dragic put up his stats with no viable backup and a returning from injury Lowry - so naturally Dragic stats would be inflated a bit and naturally the team would not fare as well without having a more well balanced roster the Lowry had when he was starting

Now is the extra money that Dragic would get (lets say he gets a 4 year deal average of 10mil/year) is that extra 16 million (possibly more if in lux tax) worth having Dragic over Lowry? Given the contract situation with both players at this point I would rather keep Lowry and let Dragic walk at that price -- if Dragic agrees to the 8 mill Morey offered thats a different story of course I'd keep Dragic at that price over Lowry but 10 million (he wants a contract that starts at 10 million - meaning he'll want increases over the course of the deal) is a bit too much

I like the excitement Dragic brings to the team, I like the hustle Kyle brings would want them both but thats not going happen - giving the circumstances now I'd rather keep Kyle and remain under the lux tax to help with flexibility to fill another position of need.

Also if Machado performs well in the SL he could be a more than capable backup to either Kyle or Dragic

11. Sanity2disChaos

Bingo......kik rocks...10m ...goran has hit the pipe to much or something.Do not pass!!

12. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Where did you hear that Lowry was a team killer. I never heard that

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

this has been discussed ad nauseum. Morey and staff considered this and other ideas...but the bottom line is Dragic would have been an RFA in 2012 after the lockout then, but only if we give him a qualifying offer of $2.4m or so. He doesn't have to negotiate with other teams; he can sign that for 1 yr and still bolt to UFA this summer.

There was a serious threat that he could have spent all lockout stewing about getting his Team Option rejected and he would have signed the one-yr Qualifying Offer. Plus, he could have returned to Europe for the lockout to make even more money, like Brooks, Chandler and JR Smith did.

Hope that helps bring you up to spend, but be careful about recharging an old debate about this.

1 person likes this.
  14. Charlesj

Charlesj Member

Dragic and his agent have lost their mind! Not only does he want 10 million but expects to be installed as the starter wherever he goes! Please!!!!! Man they better kiss and make up with Lowery!

15. allaroundplayer

What reason can you give that he will not play the same with the same role like he did when Lowry was out? Once Lowry came back the team started losing. What player in the nba can really be very valuable with a limited role? Why don't the Rockets look at winning as the bottom line, like they should and nothing else? What more proof do you need than last season? Averaged 18.0 points and 8.4 steals assists and 1.8 steals in 28 games as a starter and was team's best player. How many teams in the nba best player makes less than $10 million? Someone thinks they are too smart for their own good because the facts say differently. Look at relative players salaries in the nba. So Dragic is not a top pg on both ends of the court? He sure showed the weaknesses in Lowry's game, who everybody agrees is a great player. Nothing against him, but Morey called Lowry an "all-star snub". It seems like Morey wants to be a star. Some of you act like you are the ones who have to pay him. Can't let any team outpay the Rockets whatever the price. I hope this is just playing hardball, letting the market determine the cost. Trade Lowry if you must. This isn't like other businesses. You don't divide duties because it is too confusing. Better to have less players playing their best than more players playing beneath their potential which is what happens at the pg position. Quit over gm-ing Morey. Why make an easy decision complicated? It's not about you. They should have leverage, shouldn't they? Get over yourself Morey. Fierce competitors and fearless players with heart and guts like Dragic sets the tone for the team and rubs off which is worth $2 million annually alone. We’re counting on you Morey. Don’t let a rare player so crucial to wins like Dragic get away. #paygogi to @dmorey (i am sending this message link! do the same if you agree with me, or a short tweet. thanks!)

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I'm guessing Lowry stays dragic goes

17. Charlesj

Charlesj Member

He ain't 5 million a year better then Lowery that's for damn sure! Looks like he just helped Courtney Lee get his slightly higher then Mid level contract cause Morey aint paying that! Hell I'd just assume sign Mayo for that type of coin!

18. Happii

Happii Member

Dragic might as well pack his bags and go to Europe because no team is gonna offer him 10m.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

have you read this thread and others people have been calling him that because of his rift with McHale over playing time

20. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Where does Dragic get the balls to be asking for that kind of money? He plays well for all of 20-30 games and he thinks he's the man. :rolleyes:

Players who play well for a season AND the playoffs don't even get the offers that this guy is asking for. Whatever, let someone pay him and watch him go back into obscurity.