1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans (reportedly) love Patrick Peterson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Egghead, Apr 18, 2011.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Now hold your horses. Gary is coaching with new staff and and a brand new Defense.
    [​IMG]

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hear ya...and I agree on the surface. But honestly, with this bunch nothing would surprise me. I could see them finishing one game out of the playoffs again and McNair bringing them back because they were: a. improved from last season; and b. oh, so close!!!

A season playing out like that would not surprise me in the least at this point.

3. RocketMania1991

Wouldn't mind seeing the Texans do this.

Obviously CB is a HUGE weakness on our team. Peterson is already being touted as having the potential to be one of the greatest players ever and he can easily fill in NOW as a #1 cornerback on most teams.

We get a young BEAST who we can help mold our growing defense around.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I hate you and your bitter, bitter doses of reality.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think it's interesting(ish) that this offseason of labor uncertainity has thus far been the exact worst case scenario we all feared. IF - big, big IF - McNair truly was spooked by the probable lock-out, and if this thing does indeed wipe out a significant portion of the offseason, I think bringing Kubiak back for one more year might not be so terrible..... assuming he'll give him a full-blown "fair" evaluation next year.

I mean, I'd much rather have Kubiak *right now* than any other new coach who has yet to even meet his players - those guys are going to be at an extreme disadvantage.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My bitter doses of reality make me want to take a nap, honestly. The most bland brand in all professional sports, perhaps.

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Too bad it would have been probably a bit easier to move up if we hadn't won that damn game.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's our Five-and-Seveners!

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's ridiculous. If the texans trade up in the first round, it's for one player and one player only...kyle Rudolph. That guy is a stud

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i hate trading up. no one is a sure thing. i'd rather trade down and take my chances with multiple picks for a quarter of the price.

11. msn

msn Member

you left out "on the right track".
    [​IMG]

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

13. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

I'm quite pleased we're considering Patrick Patterson for the Texans. Might not make a bad TE.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Thank freaking God, finally some sanity if this is true. Peterson is the consensus BPA in the entire draft at a position we sorely need help. Most mocks have him falling to the Niners at 7, so you would think a trade with the Browns at 6 would be ideal.

And yes it cannot be repeated enough that if the Texans would not have won the last game Peterson would have probably fallen right into our laps.:mad:

15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

That's what we said last year, if we can just get to 5-7 again...

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

So, give Cleveland our first and third rounders and Karim Jackson to move up to 6 and take him. Then sign Asomugha and say hello to the Super Bowl.

17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I don't like this idea at all. If management had an ounce of competence, then it would have made smarter moves in previous drafts so as not be in its current predicament. For example, a smarter GM would have traded away last year's pick at #20 for a better selection this year. I even put it out there that we should have traded that pick to either Dallas or Denver who were looking at Dez Bryant and Tim Tebow respectively. Instead, we got a supposed "value" pick in Kreamed Jackson as per Rick Smith. Imagine owning the 2nd or 9th pick at this point?

Now back to the Peterson trade, it's just bad idea to give up more picks to address a position which was drafted last year. The better course is to take a pass rusher in the 1st (Robert Quinn, J.J Watt, Cameron Jordan), a free safety or DT in 2nd (Rahim Moore or Stephen Paea) and maybe a rush linebacker in the 3rd (Bruce Carter or Jeremy Beal)

The only way out of this hole is by playing it smart and getting multiple starters from the draft. Giving up several picks to move up a few spots to get a single player is not my cup of tea.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

True on points 1 and b (is that an Animal House reference or am I digging too deep?), but to me, no matter how much upside a rookie has, he's still a rookie trying to play the 2nd toughest position in football. That scares me. But I guess with the lockout, it might be our only option.

That said, I don't think there's anything to this rumor. Personally, I get annoyed at all the pre-draft rumors and mock drafts. The mock drafts are NEVER right after the first few obvious picks, so what's the point of having them?

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

While PP is the only player in the draft I would want to trade up for, I'm not willing to break the bank for him (or for any single player in this draft). We just have too many holes to fill and I'm not counting on the Texans to be major players in the FA market, if there is one.

Assuming Quinn is gone at #11, here's my realistic wishlist for the first 3 rounds:

#11 - Prince Amukamara or Aldon Smith
    #42 - Marvin Austin or Stephen Paea
    #73 - Curtis Brown (doubt he's available though)

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Wouldn't be surprised? Hell, I expecting it to happen. The offense will still be good and the defense will be slightly improved and we'll miss the playoffs again. McNair will say that switching to a 3-4 was traumatic and that Wade needs a 2nd year with the defense. The offense still did well so Gary remains as HC.

We're on the right track.

Unfortunately, our train is really just a handcar operated by a couple of guys with no arms. On the right track but going nowhere.