1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans (reportedly) love Patrick Peterson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Egghead, Apr 18, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If Quinn is available at #11 (which I highly doubt), there is pretty much no way of trading back and still getting him IMO. The same goes for Prince (Lions will take him if we don't) even though I think he'll be available at #11.

Quinn at #11 is my dream pick but I also think Prince would be great value and an upgrade over KJax. If neither is available at #11 or the Texans really don't like Prince as rumored, then I'd like to trade down, get some picks, and take the risk that Aldon Smith will still be available.

While I like PP a lot, I don't like the fact that many posters are calling him a "can't miss prospect." Not trying to call you out Pugs but I've seen this title being thrown around quite a bit and I just don't think there is such thing in the NFL draft.

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

There is absolutely no value in this trade. Giving up several draft picks for one solid player who may not be around after free agency considering the Texans history with franchised cornerbacks. Had Uncle Bob extended Dunta when he was cheap before his first franchise-tag, then we would not be in this situation of having to draft a corner in consecutive years. You know what a smarter team would do? Cut its losses and draft other positions with better overall talent and wait a few years before trying to address the same position. The point is we cannot continue to draft a corner in the first round in 3 out 7 drafts. We have the same problem with defensive tackle and it shows in our overall lack of talent across the board on defense. In this draft, we absolutely need another pass rusher, a nose tackle, and a free safety. So this trade contributes very little towards those needs. I would never sign off on this deal and the Texans will regret if they do.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

He had just recovered from a very serious injury/surgery. He played 10 games the season before he was tagged and the jury was still out on whether he could return to his old self. It would be a big gamble to pay him, and only him (not franchised cornerbacks) what he wanted. And not drafting a player out of fear that he'll leave in 4 years?
    [​IMG]

Why not? If that one position is your team's most mind blowingly obvious hole, then why not?

07, 1st round - Merriweather DB
    08, 2nd round - Wheatley CB
    09, 2nd round - Chung DB
    09, 2nd round - Butler DB
    10, 1st round - McCourty CB

Seems the Pats have no problem doing it. What exactly do you mean by "cut its losses"? Pretend the problem doesn't exist and leave it alone? In a passer's league with Peyton in your division? Just to save face?
    [​IMG]

If anything it shows our overall lack of talent at drafting. I'd rather see them go all in on an almost overwhelmingly agreed upon stud in PP, then come back with an Okoye/Jacoby/Bennett or a Brown/Molden/Slaton*
    *at this point, I hope we can agree that he's used up all the good vibe credit he earned with his rookie season

1 person likes this.
  5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You're really going to go back to 2004 to try to call it a trend? You're reaching here.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Let me pose a thought to you guys against trading up let's say last year you could have traded the entire draft ala Ricky Williams for Suh would you have done it? Let's go one step further would you have traded this entire draft last year for Eric Berry?

Basically two entire drafts for Suh and Berry? Worth it? Add those two last year and we're in the playoffs for sure. Would have turned around the entire season most likely and maybe even a superbowl run. That's the kind of impact those two could have had and that's what we need impact players. Trading down sounds great if you're the Patriots, but when you're the Texans, year after year the draft produces nothing for you.

I would have done it because 2006 type drafts just don't seem to happen all that often. Heck take out 2006 and the drafts from 2002 to 2008 yielded us 2 current contributors AJ and Duane Brown!!! (Not counting JJ, likely to leave as a FA). Suh and Berry were seen as can't miss once in a generation future pro bowlers and what do you know performed to expectations. PP is on the same wavelength, now because we are only a 2nd rounder from moving up for him you do it no question.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

sure, in hindsight they seem to be performing up to their expectations in relation to their draft pick. but for every Suh and Berry and there are 3 Courtney Browns and Reggie Bushes. by trading up you take a tremendous risk with not only the chance of your pick of being a bust but overpaying in future draft picks and money. and because the player was drafted so high, the team is likely to keep giving that player several chances before cutting ties ala amobe okoye. i'd rather trade back if it means an extra pick. more picks equals more chances of getting a great player.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I disagree. Courtney Brown and Reggie Bush were not seen as sure things like Suh and Berry in the pre draft hypefest and scouting reports. I single those two out because every year there are a couple of guys who are seen as can't miss. Last year was those two and Pouncey, this year it's PP.

Point is take the sure thing when you are paying the big bucks in the first round. Don't reach for an Aldon Smith or a Amobi Okoye trade up if you must but get the closest thing to a sure thing you can.

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

This holds true if and only if:
    -you have a competent scouting team
    -you have a coach/system that gets the most out of your rookies. Specifically for the Texans, defensive rookies
    -you had a regular offseason to get your team conditioned and acclimated to your gameplan changes.

But our team's picks seem to go hit or miss, with few solid starter type picks. A revolving door of incompetent DCs that can't coach the youth. A HC that will favor familiar players over youth, and a shortened window for workouts, otas and preseason games.

10. ThaShark316_28

So the **** what if you don't SIGN OFF. You ain't nothing but a fan.

11. gucci888

You're definitely forgetting the hype surrounding Bush when he came out, he was being touted as the next Gale Sayers/Barry Sanders. Don't let the current hype of players downplay the hype of past players. But look at the past draft history and tell me if every player who were seen as "can't miss" prospects panned out. You'll find that most of them did not live up to the expectations or at least didn't do so until a couple seasons in. Suh and Berry had immediate impacts which is great for their respective teams but in the NFL draft, they seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

As macalu posted, hindsight is 20/20 and of course teams would like to take the surest thing in the 1st round. But it's easy to look at past drafts and say "wouldn't you have traded for him if you could've?" Yet, no matter how good a prospect is, you rarely see teams trading up into the Top 5 despite rumors of teams wanting to trade out. Why? Because it's not smart to mortgage your entire future for a single player.

1 person likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

13. gucci888

Doubt it. Texans haven't made a pick in the supplemental draft since 2003 and I don't think a kid with 3 arrests in the past 2 years is going to change that.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...fered-three-picks-to-go-get-patrick-peterson/

For anybody upset that we didn't trade up for Peterson, we know a little more about the price to do so. It would have a taken a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (or maybe a future 1st instead of a 2nd) at the very least, if Arizona was even interested at all.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it was going to be pricey and like you mentioned...i don't think they were that interested in trading

16. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I guess Arizona was too enticed by a Rodgers-Cromartie/Peterson coffin backfield. In a division with only Sam Bradford to worry about and the best competing receiver is Vernon Davis.