1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans (reportedly) love Patrick Peterson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Egghead, Apr 18, 2011.

1. yo

yo Contributing Member

Whoa there, jumping the gun a bit. I think his single-digit Wonderlic score alone might preclude him from ever being the "best ever".

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-20110317_low_wonderlic_scores_ding_elite_nfl_prospects

He's a freak athlete, to be sure. But gotta have the IQ to play in the more complex defenses. Knowing he'll be put 1v1 all the time will allow offenses to exploit.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

McCain would've turned the wrong direction, Kareem would've fallen down, and on the quick out, Quin would've batted the ball through the hole in the target.

3. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

is it me or are there good enough free agent defensive backs out there that will allow us to draft a front 7 defensive lineman in the first round????

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

So he has a low wonderlic. Has he shown signs of a mental case a la VY that would crack under pressure?

Also would they risk trading up for a position that is considered one of the longer ones to acclimate to? They should also recheck their team glossary for the definition of "NFL ready."

5. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

I was watching NFL Network, Charlie Casserly was talking about how CB never go with the 1st pick even if they are rated the #1 player in the draft. He stated Peterson is the #1 prospect above anyone else on 25 teams board. He used the liked of Rod Woodson, Deion Sanders and Champ Bailey which everyone had them as the #1 prospect in the draft, which none of them went #1 Overall. Champ Bailey in the 1999 draft went 7 behind 3 quarterbacks 2 running backs, and Torry Holt WR.

This guy is as close to the sure thing in this draft. Would you take hime #1?

6. msn

msn Member

did VY show any signs before the draft? did he show any even as a rookie? (I really don't remember.)

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't think the two things are related. He's apparently not very bright (based on this test). That has nothing to do with his mental stability.

The concern is whether he'll be able to properly study and learn a potentially difficult defensive scheme, not whether he'll run shirtless to his mother's house and make vague threats about suicide because the home crowd boos him.

8. cmpatel

cmpatel Member

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think peterson is a heck of a talent and wouldn't be against getting him, but the texans still HAVE to get some veteran leadership in the secondary.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I wonder what Lawrence Taylor would score on a wunderlic?

I do think the test is relevant for QB's but for Instinct driven defensive players I don't see it being that big of a deal. I like Peterson.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he thought he got a 18 but it turns out, it was really only 15.

2 people like this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

ba-da-bang!

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He should have got 20 but instead he just got off.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm way out of my depth here - but from my perspective, OLB - especially a rush OLB - looks like a far easier position than CB. "Go tackle that guy. Very hard." Far less study, game planning, etc.

Did you see the NFLN's Top 100 Players? The piece on Deion mentioned that, for all his athletic prowess, the guy studied opponents CONSTANTLY. Generally speaking, if someone is not paticularly smart and/or is struggling in school, they likely have bad study habits or don't study at all because they deem it a waste of time. So you have to at least consider that if you're dealing with a guy who isn't very bright.

(Again, I want to emphasize: I'm not railing PP here; I don't know how relevant the Wunderlic is to actual cognitive intelligence, etc. Some people might just be poor test takers, for example. I just think it's interesting his score seemingly isn't running up any red flags. Makes you wonder if the test has any bearing at all.)

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans SHOULD do what it takes to get Peterson ...It's the obvious play for a porous secondary in need of top flight NFL ready talent. How much do you all think it will take to move up?

And I'm assuming that we're obtaining a quality, veteran corner via free agency?

Anyway, YES to Patrick Peterson ....I wish we had the flexibilty to make a move for Fairley, but alas TOAST has rendered any discussion of that moot.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

You're wrong. Outside linebackers are almost never just given a single assignment. Cornerbacks are all the time. It's where the phrase "Stuck on Revis Island" came from. Outside linebackers might sometimes only have one or two reads before rushing on passing downs, but they still usually have reads to make, and on 2nd and short, they might have several.

The difference isn't huge, but according to Wikipedia, the average Wonderlic score for linebackers is 1 point higher than for cornerbacks.

17. delta69er

delta69er Member

IMHO the Texans should go for it, after all what other nfl team needs a CB as bad as we do? However, I can see other teams in the lottery trying to pull a Morey on us in our desperate pursuit for a CB.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Mel Kiper Jr. just tweeted that with a strong defensive draft he considers the Texans a Super Bowl contender.

Without the ability to trade players due to the lockout I find it very hard to think that they'll actually have a chance to nab Patrick Peterson even if they wanted to.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Great. Now Mel Kiper's trolling us too??