1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1997 - What Were You Doing Back Then?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Apr 16, 2009.

1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

The Oilers leaving Houston killed that franchise (and pretty much the sport) for me, which was a good thing. There were so many tortured moments being an Oiler fan. The Rockets haven't won big in awhile, but the Oilers never even made the Super Bowl in Houston. And they had just a brutal stretch of the biggest choke jobs, capped by the epic collapse in Buffalo.

At least we have some good favorable memories with the Rockets.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Good thread.

I was the biggest 10 year old Rockets fan without a care in the world.

That seems so long ago, and so many things have changed in my life....

Hopefully things start changing for the Rockets, too. I don't know if, at 21, I can even handle another first-round disappointment. :(

3. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

I was 17 in a school for bad kids, writing my first raps, dating a model. Those were good times for me.

4. Deep Six Bomber

Graduating from High School. Listened to the Stockton game on my way to Utah, continuing budding hatred as I went to live in the land of the Mormons (thankfully back in Houston now). Heard it on the radio while travelling. The devastation was only comparable to the Buffalo game.

Stupid Utards didn't understand why I had Rockets posters all over my dorm and a Rockets bedspread (finally killed by Ike rain and mold) and would never miss any nationally televised Rockets game. Typical Utah fans. Fairweather and r****ded...

5. Christopher

Christopher Member

Had just finished high school and was taking a little time off to just relax. That turned into a lot of time off! :D

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Agree with the part I bolded and I'm still not into the NFL remotely like I was back when the Oilers were driving us all crazy. I started watching them, and going to games with my father, from the very first AFL season. I bit of my heart left with them. I don't agree that it was "a good thing," however. Not for me.

7. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

I was 9 years old in 4th grade in Pearland.

Remember sitting at my best friend's(still to this day) house with my parents and his for every Rockets playoff game. We did it every year in the 90's I believe.

We get their a little early. Me and him would go outside and play basketball on an 8 foot rim where I would school him on the Dream Shake(he wasnt and still isnt a good b-ball player).

Then it was inside where we sat about 2 feet from the TV and we all watched the game. The night of the Stockton shot, I remember my dad teared up, I used to make fun of him, til I was old enough to understand.

As for now I am sitting in Huntsville going to school, about to watch the game, ironically with my Fiance and the before mentioned friend who lives downstairs from me!

8. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Maybe I was being a bit flippant in my earlier post. I was devastated when they left. It's only in the long run that I say it was good for me. I got to exorcize a lot of Playoff demons. That Buffalo loss doesn't seem nearly as painful now, but I still am haunted by that damn Stockton shot.

Living in Seattle, I was bummed for the city when the Sonics left. Even though they weren't my team, I know firsthand what it's like to have a team stolen.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Me too. I was more into football than basketball back in the 80s. The Oilers broke my heart more than any sport teams. I don't watch football much now. I don't even know what players are on what teams, except a few really big stars. I still like Jeff Fisher though and hope his team does well.

10. dafranchise0309

lol i was in like 3rd grade....chasin the lil females

11. dudeimfromhtown

i was 7 and was a mj fan and my mom had a bugs bunny a rockets uniform and taz with a orlando uniform it was a awesome shirt!

12. zjuzhyin

zjuzhyin Member

Oh, man
    Apr 1997, I was struggling preparing the examination for entering high school...

Back in those days more than half of Chinese NBA fans are Bulls fans,
    and the title for Chinese writing examination for entering high school proved to be:

"I hope I were_______"

You bet it, I filled in the blank with "Jordan"

However in 94 and 95 I did cheered for the Rockets, because I was moved by the story of Dream holding on in NBA while going on a partial fast due to muslin habit.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I bought that wonderful game called "NBA Live 97" for my good old SNES and the first team i took was the Rockets and they were the only team I ever played in that game. So since ´97 I´m a fan of this team and support them til I die. :)

14. acerockets

acerockets Member

I was 5 years old and probaly started kintergarden
    i had no idea what basketball was

15. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

I was 19 and had not moved to the US still. I dind't know what a double dribble was or any rules of basketball.
    Two years later I moved here to go to school and was friends with some basketball players on my college team - we used to workout together. They taught me basketball and since I have been nuts about it. A few intramural titles, a dissapearing knuckle and a broken wrist since I'm carzy about basketball and been a season ticket holder for 5 years.

Good times . . .

16. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

i was 10 in the 4th grade.
    nothing really interesting other than going to the science fair and running home to play mario and watch power rangers :D
    i remembered the previous years when my dad would through the playoff.
    that year i got sick and threw up all over him. he was mad because he had to miss some of the game to clean himself up during the game:D
    everyone is all excited
    next thing i know my mom was screaming dont let them get the ball. stockton shot it..made it..i started crying...then my mom recited over and over how much she hated utah(which she still does to this day)..and the hate lives on.

17. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I was in the hospital when my wife had a false labor with our 2nd son watching that bullcrap known as Karl Malone bear hug Clyde Drexler when Stockton hit that 30 footer. My son was born a month or so later.

18. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I was working at the Alley Theatre as a sound guy. Before the show and during Intermission I would run outside to listen to my radio to get game updates. Almost every night a patron who came outside to smoke would come up and listen with me.

19. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

i was 6 in china.

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I lived on Edloe, behind the Compaq Center. On gameday, I used to hang out near Will Call and score cheap or free tickets to games after tipoff. This actually worked more often than I expected...I think I went to a total of free 5 regular season games and free 1 playoff game (Game 4 of the WC Finals where Eddie hit the three pointer to tie the series).

I also had a terrible job selling computers.

I saw most of the Rockets wins vs. the TWolves at The Village Brewery, which was a great place for Rox games.