1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1997 - What Were You Doing Back Then?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Apr 16, 2009.

1. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I was 10 and I was a huge MJ fan and still am. I did root for the Rockets the years MJ retired.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I was a freshman in high school, and incredibly pumped about the Rockets' chances with Barkley. There was this girl I was really into as well, and I remember after Stockton hit that shot, the next day I was in a really grumpy mood, and I was an ass to her....and then later I found out she was trying to get the nerve to tell me she liked me, but then I snapped at her, and she got scared and that was the end of that. :(

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

LOL, sorry man, don't mean to be laughing at you but that is just brutal. Yet, I completely understand how you feel. I had to call the wife this morning to apologize for my piss poor mood last night. :(

4. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

Thank you very much. I'm in Canada not in US, still I'd prefer living in America instead of Canada.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Whats funny is that most of the time, when I was watching the games at home, I didn't really watch them. I was bouncing my basketball infront of the screen, like I was Olajuwon and was shooting it everywhere around like "Olajuwon, at the buuuuuuzzzzeeerrrr..... YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!"

then would eventually break something.

fun times.

6. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I was 25. Still on a high from the previous years.

I thought I would never go another 12 years seeing my favorite team suck like it does now.

Oh, and I was one of the first to post here. I was having a rivalry with LHutz (which he seemed to have won).

I was drunk alot because I thought that was what senior year in college was for so I posted incoherent gibberish like "Hakeem Is NO LEGEND".

I finally grew up and (thanks to our current hapless situation) appreciate those championship years like my own children almost. It was a wonderful time.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't think any of us would think the Rockets would not make it out of first round for this long.

Even the Clippers made it out.

8. E-Man

E-Man Member

I almost cried when that damn Stockton hit the damn 3 at the buzzer in game 6. :(

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I forgot to mention (for those that post in the Hangout, you'll understand) but back in '97, I think I had less than 10 CDs and about half of them were Celine Dion! :eek: :eek: :eek: :)

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I was 19, going to school and working at a KB Toys. How time flies. I'm glad I had no idea the first round drought was going to last past my 20s.

11. huflungpu

huflungpu Member

I remember being sad when the Rockets lost to the Sonics the year before, but that Stockton shot was something else. I didn't expect the Dark Ages to last so long though. It was probably a good thing nobody told me that night that it would be like that.

12. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Whoa, that's impressive - LINK

Are you the Chris Roberts guy in the wikipedia article?

And you guys sold that company to Microsoft, eh? You must be loaded, my friend. Nice work. :)

13. redao

redao Member

I was playing my first graphical online game: Diablo. I was so excited when we made it work through TCP/IP on the LAN.

14. Precision340

Precision340 Member

i was 19 years old trying to balance college and my first job, working at the Westland Family YMCA.. those were the days..

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I was a youth pastor at our first church assignment... Was married about one year at the time (still am, same wife ;) ) and was taking for granted that I could see my Rockets on local TV for free.

In so many Rockets related ways I wish it was still '97 but that we had a knowledge of what we know now.

I'm sure the Rockets would have never wasted time on Quitten, let Dream retire elsewhere or ever let Rudy T. go into another franchise's system as a coach or scout. Things are only somewhat better now, but that's relative, or an opinion worth debate.

In the personal realm, I'm glad it's not '97 an more. Things are much better today than then!

I was 24... wow.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Three indelible memories:

1 Clyde's pass to a wide open Willis while the Rox were pouring it on that was way too hard. It slipped thru KW as the lead slipped thru the Summit.

2 The blasted bearhug by that blasted b*stard Malone on Chuckles.

3 Dead silence as Stockton's cold hearted dagger landed.

I need a p/o series win. Four of them. All this year. That's all I need. A parade, you see... :cool:

17. caowenyu

caowenyu Contributing Member

i had the exactly same experience like you except that i was 22 then and graduating from the college

18. AXG

AXG Member

Me too, although I was eight. I used to trade them at school. I still buy some every now and then but nowhere near like I used to.

19. Hola-juwon

Hola-juwon Member

I was 8 and I didn't knew what that rockets even existed, hey, I didn't barely know what basketball was. As for now I'm 19 and I play in the highest bball-league in Sweden (don't laugh at swedish basketball:D).

Me becoming a rocketfan is actually a pretty funny story and coincidence. In 1998 or 99 my brother who's one year older than me played a basketball-tournament in another city then we live in and he came home with a poster of Olajuwon driving towards the basket. Of course none of us really knew who he really was but we both thought he was cool and we put up the poster in our room and a couple of years ago I google'd "Olajuwon" and I got hooked up. I still have the poster in my room :D

20. shorty2334

shorty2334 Member

I was 12 and addicted to the rockets, wearing Rockets jersey's everyday. I still have my pajama Horry jersey :D I already hated the Jazz more than any other team because of Hornacek, Stockton, and Malone... oh and Antoine Carr... but I ended up hating them even more after they held/moving screened Drexler... it was only my 4th year as a fan but we were contenders that whole time so the future looked bright, I figured we'd continue to contend for the next 50 years.... damn I was wrong...

Favorite players that season: Kemp, Horry, Olajuwon, Reggie Miller, Jordan