1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1997 - What Were You Doing Back Then?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

It was my senior season of high school. I was 17 had ideas what I wanted to do but have a clue how slow everything would move but still opstimistic.

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I was 5 years old, at my cousin's house...wondering about why they were jumping up and down to the the TV...

3. yao123

yao123 Member

i was bored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

i was in the 1st grade but still remember this day very very vividly.
    at a young age, about 3, i was introduced to the rockets and was obsessed ever since as i wore my sam cassell mustard/yellow jersey just about everywhere! but anyways my papa always brought out pots and pans to beat on throughout the big games and i would join along. i remember the eddie johnson three my house was roaring in delight but when stockton hit that dagger i never felt so much hurt in my life...at the fragile age of 7. :mad:

SCREW YOU UTAH!!!

5. ozziexu

ozziexu New Member

Come on,Rockets!
    Yao!I am on back of you!
    I am a fan from China!
    Rockets will go into the second round VS Lakers!

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I umm... I... I think... Guys... I bought the Creed CD that year. Oh dear God forgive me.

7. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Lol sounds exactly like me. Nice.

I remember at that time the only person I hated more than Malone was Antoine Carr (guy was DIRTY), then we ended up signing him, I think he is only person ever to sign with Rockets that even after signing I could not stand.

8. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

I was a University freshman :) and started to wonder what a University life would be like? Excited at that time......And how may chicks I could XXX. and felt so Young.

9. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

i was 12 years old and didn't even know the rockets were an NBA team all i knew were lakers and bulls. I only followed Aussie Rules Football but in the last 4-5 years i have loved the rockets

10. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

you're already 44, DD? :confused:

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I was 15 and about to witness the first and only moment in sports that ever made me cry. F'ing bear hug pick...

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i was 11 years old.

13. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

I was a little girl and didn't know what basketball was. in 1997, I was 10 years old, and liked football and David Beckham. :D

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I was 37 and I walked away from a 6 figure stay on bonus they offered me if I would stay 1 more year. While that was flattering, the Lord has always taken care of me and I knew it was time to move to TN. Thankfully Clutchcity.com was there for me to stay in touch with my Rockets as the sports here is nothing but SE College sports (mostly UT - That's University of Tennessee) and some Brave's baseball with a little Titans football (they just moved). :(

A lot has changed in 12 years.

15. Fatty FatBastard

Let's see. I was 25, and an aspiring professional country singer. I still recall being in a small sports bar in Memphis when EJ hit the game winner. That was a cool feeling because we were in a neutral city, but everyone in there went crazy after that shot. And I still recall watching the Game 6 debacle at the Marquis II on Bissonnet.

Later that summer we were at a club and Mario Elie was there. My future ex-wife was a fan, so she went over to talk to him for a half hour. She came back over and said that Elie wanted her number and was I ok with her giving it to him. (This was back when people pretty much had land lines, and we were sharing one due to us living together.) I said sure, why not?

And then my friends and I had a bunch of laughs listening To Mario's messages on our answering machine. First message was obviously a booty call, but the next two were increasingly polite. He never called after that.

As far as the singing, she ended up getting pregnant 2 months before I was heading to South Africa on this sponsored "gratis" tour. So I ended up backing out of that and got back into finance.

I guess it was a while ago.

16. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I was a sophmore in Highschool, to be honest..i wasn't that involved in rockets, I was more concerned with play Resident Evil 2 and NBA shootout 97 LOL....I was huge on Playstation.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well ya.....but don't say it like that !!! I am having a great time at 44.

DD

18. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

I wasn't even born yet..

jk.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

in june i got married

in august i started law school

busy year.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

September, she DOAed.

Jordan woulda been punked in the Finals if if if ...