1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Buck Turgidson

In case anyone's interested, the Stros game is on TV tonight: 6PM on FSN vs. the Injuns.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The most important question is...

will he get to keep the tractor?

3. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Anyone still have an image of Everett with his fist pumped after the Double play in Game 4 of the NLCS?

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up!

5. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I would love a copy of that too. anyone have it to post?

6. Surfguy

Bagwell is not at first this game and was supposed to be. It appears he is DH again.

7. Miguel

8. Miguel

Fine, don't :(

:p

9. Surfguy

This game feels real familiar. It's the 4th inning and I don't think the Astros even have a hit yet.

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well he left the game yesterday after only 2 at-bats because of soreness. I hate to say it, but based on the things he's saying himself, it seems more and more like he's done, but won't admit to himself. Granted he played 2-3 seasons on a bum shoulder, but honestly if you're struggling this much to perform at even a minimal level, maybe it's time to hang 'em up.

11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

We had the game on for about an hour tonight. My wife, who doesn't follow baseball at all, was shocked by how skinny Bagwell looked. She said it must be because of his shoulder or something. I told her that his shoulder has been messed up for a few years now.
    "Then what's the difference this year?"
    "Good question."

12. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Carlos Hernandez pitching today. I'll be curious too see how he does, especially after Nieve and Bucholz seemed to have good outings.

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Sad to see it...but Bags is done...just over a week away from opening day and he can't yet seem to play 5 innings. I think he is fooling himself if he thinks he can play the field with any consistency at this point. Unfortunately, this looks like the end of the line...he no longer makes us better. Hopefully the insurance kicks in so we can afford to pay Roger in May.

14. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I've not been able to follow Spring training very closely this year, but from what little I see on the astros website, it looks like Buckholz, Nieve, Hernandez are the three fighting for the last rotation spot. For those who have been following spring training a little closer than I, who do you think is going to make it into the rotation at the start of the year?

Can't wait for the season to start and the games to start showing up on my MLB Extra Innings package!

15. Buck Turgidson

Carlos & Zeke are on notice. Zeke probably is the frontrunner for the last bullpen spot though, I'd imagine (assuming they carry 12 pitchers to start, like they've hinted at). Lidge-Wheeler-Qualls-Gallo-Miller-Springer are pretty much locks to start the season. I think Zeke has the stuff to really flourish in the pen, ala Dotel.

Bucholz looked damn good last night. He's healthy (finally) and he has the best stuff & most potential of the 4.

Whatever happens, the Stros have some serious young pitching depth in the bigs & AAA - great insurance for injuries & potential tradebait.

16. Buck Turgidson

The kid's name is BUCHHOLZ, btw.

Hell, I misspelled it too.

17. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

I was at the Indians game last night, standing against the rail on the third base side as Bagwell walked back to the locker room after his night was over ... & I know a bummed out dude when I see one, he was MAJORLY bumming as he walked by. :(

I think he sorta knows he's done, but I'll continue rooting for him.

18. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

You know, I had typed that at first, but I changed it because it looked weird to have two "h's" in a row like that!

Now I know.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Finally, a NL Central prediction I like...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-nlcentral032306&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

MLB Division Predictions: NL Central
    Proj Team (Projected 2006 Record)

1 Houston Astros 94-68
    Overview: Miserable starts the last two seasons forced the Astros to play out of their mind down the stretch. A lineup with more punch thanks to the maturity of Morgan Ensberg and Jason Lane, and the acquisition of Preston Wilson, should take care of that. So long as the Astros can find at least one palatable starter to go with Roy Oswalt, Andy Pettitte and Brandon Backe – Roger Clemens, perhaps, or prospects Jason Hirsh or Fernando Nieve? – the Astros should be among the best teams in the NL.

2 St. Louis Cardinals 91-71
    Overview: A team without holes the last two seasons enters this season with questions. Who replaces Mark Grudzielanek at second base? Can So Taguchi bring the pop Reggie Sanders did in left field? Will Braden Looper be an adequate substitute for Julian Tavarez? Cy Young winner Chris Carpenter is back at the top of the rotation, and Sidney Ponson tries to come back at the bottom, though Anthony Reyes is waiting to replace him. A healthy Scott Rolen makes the Cardinals a playoff team.

3 Milwaukee Brewers 89-73
    Overview: Everyone's chic playoff sleeper is about a year away. Give Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks time to develop on the right side of the infield, and give Doug Davis, Chris Capuano and Derrick Turnbow time to prove they were more than one-year wonders. The Astros are getting old and the Cardinals vulnerable, and if manager Ned Yost and pitching coach Mike Maddux keep at it, they're heirs to the division title.

4 Chicago Cubs 81-81
    Overview: Kerry Wood was hurt last year and Mark Prior is this year. The Cubs' lineup has the potential to be anemic. GM Jim Hendry and manager Dusty Baker are under fire. And to add insult, the White Sox won the World Series. Still, Derek Lee and Aramis Ramirez are at the corners, and Juan Pierre is bound to take enough pitches to again make him one of the game's best leadoff hitters. Average sounds about right.

5 Pittsburgh Pirates 75-87
    Overview: The Pirates, much like the Royals, spent money this offseason to, in part, quell the talk about them pocketing revenue-sharing dollars. And, like the Royals, they didn't do so foolishly, taking on short-term contracts and planning to devote big money to their young players. There are some good ones. Pitchers Zach Duke, Paul Maholm and Tom Gorzelanny – 132 big-league innings among them – will comprise 60 percent of the rotation. Keep an eye on young closer Mike Gonzalez, a Billy Wagner clone.

6 Cincinnati Reds 66-96
    Overview: When GM Wayne Krivsky acquired Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena this week, it was the first step in revamping a pitching staff that had Aaron Harang as the No. 1 starter and still doesn't know its closer (Todd Coffey?). With Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr. and second-year third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, who has looked tremendous all spring, the Reds will put up runs. Right now, though, Krivsky has plenty of work to do in his first season.

20. Miguel

Can't wait for April 3rd. Taste the happy.