1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Astros] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 27, 2006.

1. msn

msn Member

Actually the schedule has been mentioned several times, admittedly only by Bagwell's camp. Perhaps you missed it? Bagwell mentioned over and over during the beginnings of the insurance fiasco that he was on a schedule and that April 1 was the schedule--not January 31.

Additionally, for the past several seasons in ST Bagwell has followed a schedule very similar to this--very little throwing, playing DH early, taking it easy on the shoulder until the very last part of ST.

I'm not sure he has anything left, either. But as far as a schedule, I thought that was pretty evident to everyone.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep, it is....

I really hope he can contribute this season. No matter what, I'm soooooo pumped about the upcoming season. I'm sick of seeing the Rockets get their asses handed to them.

The Rockets season is over.

BRING ON THE STROS!!!

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, I don't even care anymore. If he can play, great... we could use another bat. If he can't, so what... thankfully, we've got other viable options that played a bigger part in getting us to the World Series last year, a year that was without him.

Both sides have a legit argument... which is why I can't take sides in this. Bagwell is a driven/motivated individual who doesn't want to go out on somebody else's terms... he wants to go down swinging (literally). The Astros have shown Bags loyalty beyond loyalty over the years... and they've signed him to this contract to prove it. Them asking him to really consider whether or not he's healthy (with 15 million on the line) isn't the travesty that some people make it out to be.

In the end, the Astros will be fine... I would love a lineup w/ Bagwell batting in the perfect #2 spot, given that he's good enough to produce where he was in 2004, and given that Berkman's knee is good enough to last an entire season out in LF. Also, I would be just fine seeing a lineup of a more experienced Willy T in CF, and Lance getting to become a full-time first baseman (which is what he was always on track to do since his rookie year).

In the end... this team will only be as good as Brandon Backe is. I know that sounds pretty dumb, and it may be over-simplifying a bit a... but its the truth. If Backe is 3/4ths as good during the regular season as he is in the playoffs... they'll be fine. If he's like he was for most of last year.... they'll need Roger, for sure, after May 1st to have a chance.

Bring on the season... it can't come faster.

4. Major

Major Member

I find this amusing, given this quote from my post:

<I>The question is whether it will continue to progress like they hope, or if he'll suffer a setback.</I>

And given the fact that I was responding specifically to your post stating that he doesn't deserve a spot on the team. If you have no idea how he will do, why on earth would you make a judgement now that he shouldn't make the team?

As far as the "schedule" - I don't know the specifics, but Bagwell, Garner, and others have said since the beginning of spring training that the goal was to be ready or close to ready by early April, and that spring training would be a slow process. It's not my fault you don't pay attention to the people that actually know.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Amen Nick....AMen.

No matter what happens, bring on the Season. I can't wait!

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

7. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Same here. I got tickets to the Tuesday game against the Marlins and the Friday game against the Nationals. I am ready for some baseball!!!!

8. Buck Turgidson

Great comments by Purpura. The man is obviously grossly unqualified to run a MLB team & has no clue whatsoever how to build & maintain a successful franchise.

Plus he's fat.

Thanks Drayton.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep... not only that, but suddenly, he's the best GM in Houston.

10. MadMax

Is the season over again yet?

(sorry, i couldn't resist!! :D )

11. Buck Turgidson

They're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMED.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

For all the superstitious people out there, the Astros have gone .500 in each of their last two spring trainings and had their two most successful postseasons in team history. They need to go 8-4 to finish .500

13. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

Hitting looked good today (14 hits and 7 runs, although we did leave a ton LOB) while Eric Munson had another stellar game in his push for one of the last roster spots.

On the other hand, Backe looked terrible. He is going to be a huge key in the bridge from a strong 1-2 to a weak 4-5....he's has got to be more consistent if we are going to be playoff contenders.

#113 T Rex, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Backe is the baseball version of Robert Horry... the more meaningless the game, the worse he'll look.

Likewise, the bigger the game, the more he looks like a first ballot HOFer.

Big game Backe.... Big Shot Bob... separated at birth?

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dammit Backe...If only he showed up every day.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3739838.html
    Well, we're now 10 days away, and he can't finish preseason games. I can't see how he thinks he can make it through the season. Free up his salary, and we have the room to bring in real help.

Window's slamming shut...we HAVE to do something now.

Evan

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

this whole Bagwell situation annoys the living crap out of me. I agree that with the knowledge we currently have, his playing future with us looks very grim. But the angle that if he were to retire, that Uncle Drayton would quickly use the money to sign or trade for a high profile player is ludicrous (not the rapper).

The money won't be spent. Even if Roger does decide to re-sign with the Astros after Bag's called it quits and we recouped his salary, the money to sign Roger comes from a second account labeled cash cow. Maybe had Bag's given in and retired during the heat of the off-season, we would have made a stronger bid for an outfielder, but that time has come and gone.

The reality of the situation is that his decision to play has little to no bearing on whom the team will pursue this season. If he can play and can give you .265 avg with 100 walks and 20 homers, your only question is, can anyone else do better. (paging Jason Lane).

18. MadMax

how are we freeing up his salary? he gets his money either way. and i doubt seriously the insurance will cover it.

19. Buck Turgidson

Even if he retires tomorrow, the insurance issue won't be settled for many, many months.

20. MadMax

perhaps years if litigation is involved.