1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You’re Head Coach: What are your keys to Winning Game 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jnuge90, May 16, 2018.

1. Rocketsfan3422

BBall breakdown suggested that GSW rush harden/cp3 on the screen. I absolutely agree GSW should do that, honestly I think thats what their adjustments going to be in game3. To counter this use CP3/harden ONLY as the screener NOT Tuck, Ariza, or Capella. CP3/harden can take D. Green (not easily) on the drive. If GSW collapses which I dont think they will, we will get easy 3s. If they dont we will get 2's and freethrows.

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

We Unstoppable then?

3. bongman

bongman Member

Don't forget the Capela PnR

4. MD_in_Training

The problem with this approach is that they can easily counter by putting one of their better one-on-one defenders on CP3 or Harden. Therefore, if we screen with CP3 or Harden then they have to ISO against either Igoudala, Klay, or Draymond.

Their adjustments in game 3 will make us pick between ISOing against Curry or making one of our forwards be a playmaker on a dump off pass.

We are easily better off with the latter. The worst thing we can do is have Harden or CP3 ISO repeatedly against Iggy, Green, or Klay.

5. Boney Garcia

Boney Garcia Member

I said this before game 2 ,that I would start Gordon for cp3 , ISO Game with harden then run with cp3 and bench,what people forget is this is what happened game 2 ,cp3 got 2 early fouls and went out earlier.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Attack Curry, Keep pushing the pace after a miss or make, attack in half court quick in the shot clock.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

8. j@amc

j@amc Member

I expect:

1. GS to avoid switches and play tougher, fighting over the top when they can. This will give the Rockets some room to attack GS with their screener.
    2. Thompson and Green will be more aggressive going to the basket. The Rockets will have to contest and not foul.
    3. A strong all-around game from CP3.
    4. An improving effort from Harden against Curry's drives.
    5. The rebounding game to be even or won by the Rockets.
    6. Durant will get his points. Let him take his shots but keep the rest of the Warriors off the scoreboard.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. macan

macan Member

i'll keep clapping during every time-out

10. Rocketsfan3422

Lol? not sure why go there...its an adjustment to counter them. Doesn't mean its going to work. Just trying to have dialog with my fellow members

11. Rocketsfan3422

Not comfortable with Capella finishing the offense via drive against Dgreen or kicking it out safely but thats just me.

12. Rocketsfan3422

Thats why i suggest dumping the pass to CP3 or Harden depending on whos getting hedged

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If GSW takes defensive measures that forces Ariza and PJ to make plays, will they be able to continue to make plays. Either passing to an open man or finishing around the basket.

Aside from just general improved defensive effort and just plain "making jump shots," the secondary action with Ariza (his 6 assists in the last game) to me was the BIG takeaway. Can he keep that up?

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget to scream play harder!

macan likes this.
  15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. If there is one guy we can trust to do the exrra pass or to do the little extras to help this team in it is ariza.

mkahanek likes this.
  16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Plenty of things to repeat and build on...

One priority should be getting Trevor, PJ, Clint and Ego involved VERY early:

Clint needs a lob or two to energize his defense

Trevor needs a couple OPEN shots to energize his defense and drives to the basket

PJ needs a couple of layups and help on defense to energize his offensive/defensive rebounding

Ego needs some good picks/spacing to energize those pesky drives to the rim and long 3s to go down

James and CP need help to win. That's easy, if you make an effort to energize your teammates with the little things that make them "go* "

* Luc isn't ready; Fly Ry hasn't' felt good in awhile (blame= both sides)

** Gerald Green, when under control, can be the short-term alleviator.

Deuce, Hakeemtheking and pippendagimp like this.
  17. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

1) Play THICCer

2) ???

3) Curry falls in a faint

4) Profit!!!

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Before we stick the final dagger in, things will open up inside for CC...and he will wreak havoc. Maybe even a little CP3 midrange. But, the ability to crank it up on D..that's it.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don' see why not. That is the one weapon that I feel will give the Warriors the blues. Either he scores every ime or he gets fouled. As a matter of fact, this next game should be all Clint Capela. If he is used in that way, he could do 20+ and 10 for the series. Make the Warriors adjust to us instead of us constantly trying to adjust.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

1. Play defense ( Communicate)
    2. Rebound (End defensive possessions)
    3. Do not turn the ball over (10 or fewer)
    4. Win the 50/50 loose balls
    5. Make your open looks from 3