1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao got run out of the gym by smallball again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by amare, Dec 31, 2007.

Tags:
  1. amare

amare Member

2. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

I thought that Adelman would do something about that but I was wrong. Hope that he does something in the next game that he will play with smalls.

3. ibm

ibm Member

not exactly. he's in foul trouble and only played 28 minutes. still got 16pts/9rebs/3blks. and he's been fighting a flu for a week now.

the op seems a little malicious to me. :( but keep this in mind - for every move there is a counter-move. some used to say do NOT start yao when we play phoenix since they're too fast and blah blah. look at the last time they played and how yao did. now some are saying the same thing. guess what, that is exactly what a team needs a coaching staff for. if adelman does bench yao or limit his minutes when we play gsw (of course he won't), the entire league will be laughing and dropping their jaws.

i think the rockets are already dealing with the fronting d on yao better than in the past. had yao not been ridiculously put into foul trouble, this may have been more obvious. we shall see next time.

again, the point is not all about yao. the point really is that for every basketball move, there is a counter. you can use height and strength to beat speed; and vice versa. the key is who can deploy a better strategy and adjust on the fly in the game if necessarily. (imo adelman's 4th quarter coaching tonight, among other things, was a bit problematic.)

4. cyberdemon_lord

op's moniker says it all....

5. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Obviously you didn't watch the game. I thought Yao did ok relative to how he usually plays against teams like the suns and warriors. Most of his problems this game weren't cause by him getting outrun by the opposing team/person he was guarding, but with the fronting defense that came from Al Harrington. I think Harrington was matched up with Yao defensively, even when Biedrins was in the game.

I think its pretty safe to say that the days of Yao being run off the court are over for the most part, his stamina has been excellent this season. Where Yao has a problem is with the way smaller teams guard him. The warriors are able to effectively front him most of the game and when Yao was in a position to score the warriors would just double hard and fast with one of their gazillion small forwards on the court.

6. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

EXACTLY !!! What can you ask for more from him, who was never into rhythm by some biased black whistles....and the fact that he had yet to recover totally from his flu??

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2008-01-01/12083391900.shtml

In the post-game interview, Big Yao was not really upset about the loss.

He was calm to point out some of the mistakes that he and his team made that resulted in the loss.

He said he thought they had won the game in 3Q, but then thru some careless turnovers, they let the Golden States Warriors took over the rhythm and speed in 4Q.

He summarized that they lost the game for not rebounding well and some careless and inexplicable turnovers. And he thought that despite they played pretty tough defense on Golden States Warriors' 3-pointers, somehow those 3-pointers were falling in this game.

He did not think there was anything wrong with Rick Adelman's tactics, and he praised the performance of the role players, particularly Steve Novak. He said even though Steve Novak is a sophomore now, given so little play minutes for him in his rookie season, his NBA career only begins now, and he hoped Novak can continue to perform great and start contributing to the team.

But he mentioned one strange thing about Bonzi Wells telling him that he felt dizzy and not breathing smoothly towards the end of 3Q. Not sure whether the flu virus is on rampage again !!

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

8. RareAir

RareAir Member

It'd be nice if Yao's teammates would get him the friggin ball when he establishes position whether the defense is fronting him or not.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What does that mean?

10. demon77

demon77 Member

I think he was referring to that black ref that called that BS foul on Yao. Baron run into Yao, who was standing STILL and in the act of shooting. I would say that ref is racist too tbh.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thought he did fine with the small ball Suns earliers this season, no?

Anyhow... Warriors are going to be a tough matchup for the Rockets, just as they were for the Mavs last season. There are things you can do to counter these teams... but the Rockets did not execute enough today.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

By the name you have chosen to be your signature on a Houston Rockets Board I know where you are coming from :mad: when you post this sort of stupidity.
    Anyone who knows what is going on in the Rockets knows that Yao Ming is seriously ill and really should not have been playing.

The probem is that our talent could not put the ball in the basket , unlike the team we were playing with. Yao had nothing to do with the team failure. I suggest you watch a repeat and you will understand to what I am refering.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

is my sarcasm detector broken or something?

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

don't feed the trolls

15. apocclass

apocclass Member

you guys have all the excuses in the world for yao

16. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well, in China, we called those bad and biased officiating calls....black whistles.黑哨 Not intended to be racist on the color of the skin of the referees.

17. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

lol i know right? it pisses you off at first but eventually you just start finding it humorous

18. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I started watching the game in the middle of 3rd qtr. The Rockets still had a 8 pts lead. Then what I saw was turnovers after turnovers, unwilling to take shots. The Rockets killed themselves in the final 5-6 minutes of 3rd qtr.

Playing the Warriors or the Suns or the Pacers (this season), 10-15 pts lead in 3rd qtr is no big deal to them. If those teams get into rhythm and start shooting well, you're dead meat. It's because the Rockets cant shoot if you compare them with those teams.

The 4th quarter was terrible. Rafer finally figured out he needed to drive but it's too late. The Rockets were already in a deep hole and the Warriors were in good shooting rhythm.

If the Rockets want to win in this League, they must learn how to step on their gas pedal in 3rd and 4th quarter to close out games. That's not done before by JVG. Under JVG, the Rockets were good 1st half team but almost the worst 2nd half team - 2-35(?) in last 2 seasons without lead after 3rd qtr. That's something a team must learn before a team can win big.

19. nancychang

nancychang Member

it's not Yao's problem,but how-to-use-Yao problem.

20. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

Oh, Pryuen is actually Chinese? I thought you were an American working and living in China. Your English is great!

Could you please tell me your QQ number of MSN? Thank you very much!