1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao got run out of the gym by smallball again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by amare, Dec 31, 2007.

Tags:
  1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Yao was taken out by GSW in the 4th quarter. He could not get into position at all. He went to the high post and make one or two long range open shot(s) but missed. Props to GSW defence. At the offensive end, GSW made a couple tough threes and there goes the game. I would not say our defence was bad in the game.

I'd say we still have not had a solution playing against Phoenix and GSW, probably Hornets too, esp when Yao was playing. We gave them "too big" a target to defence. It's like we were playing the offense they well prepared for.

Yao has a bad "habit" this season, he tends to "wait" for a double team when he gets the ball instead of attacking the basket or passing out the ball. If he was in a good position, he should have attacked the basket immediately, if he could not get into his comfortable zone, he should pass back the ball and repost or pass to another teammate. Waiting for double team would just stagnate the motion.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

No excuses. Yao is a big stiff that can give you 25/10 a game. Having him fighting a box match with Harrington, or worse fighting for air 18 feet out wont give you that 25/10. Yao, teammates, and adleman have to figure that out together.

3. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

The problem is we're probably the slowest team in the league at setting up our offense. This is because of the inability to get Yao the ball coupled with Yao's inability to quickly attack the basket. Duncan, Boozer, and KG can get their points and impact the game by playing off the ball. Yao can't do this. He NEEDS the ball in order to be effective. And people wonder why we're last in the league in fast break points?

4. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Excellent point

5. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

It's actually both.

6. Astockmarketgod

simple solution is this...

even with 10-15 turnovers....

force feed the big stiff... in the paint...

and have him attack the basket as soon as he gets the ball...

and not wait for the double to pass it out...

ill take chances on our #1 pick... vs a role player any day...

until Yao takes 25 to 30 shots a game we will never win in the playoffs...

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

It was a combination of (in order):
    fronting defense,
    teammates having issues getting him the ball on a fronting D,
    Yao's foul trouble,
    THEN pace.

Yao had the least trouble with the pace of the game and didnt really get "run out the building". One foul was a HOORRIBLE call when Baron Davis ran right into Yao's back and fell down while Yao was shooting a jump shot!

oh alright. thought you might have meant
    [​IMG]

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

What kills me is that fronting defense. The consensus now across all of the NBA is that the way to play Yao is going to be to front him. The Rockets have got to figure out countermeasures for that.

In the first quarter of the Warriors game there was a lot of offensive creativity on display. Start Yao on the weak side and swing ball to him deep in the paint so that he can catch and shoot before the double team. Obviously they've got plays for him and it showed--I thought Yao got seven points in the quarter and was pretty effective. Why would you run them in the first half and not in the second??? It's the regression after some progress is made which is infuriating.

9. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

But I can see the reason why Yao tends to take a few seconds to see if a double team is coming. Several times, if he immediately puts the ball on the floor ater getting it, he gets stripped (this happened last year in the playoffs as well) by the help defender. But by taking his time, he can ensure that 1. If a double team comes then he can pass it out, or 2. If they single-coverage him then he's going for his shot.

10. Norway's Winter

Emmmm..... when YAO get ball at one side, those PG/SG like Rafer or Head should move to the other side or just move out the 3-point line

it can bring the opponent's guard away from YAO and somehow to reduce his TOs

11. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Maybe we should try more screening to free up Yao from fronting.
    The problem here seems to be that Yao is not quick enough to shake his man once his man fronts him; the logical response would be to bump Yao's defender off so Yao gets open.

However, as opposed to having Yao run from block to block, just have Yao flash towards the middle of the paint once the back screen comes from the opposite side while reversing the ball up top from the wings. Yao, being a big target, should be in position to catch the ball once he makes in move towards the center of the paint; he would only have the defender who defended the screener (who in this case would be a small guard and whose defender would be a small guard) trying to get in his way.

This plan seems flawed somehow since Aldeman, being the offensive coach he is, hasn't tried it. Can anyone see a problem?

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Heaven forbid! Someone called out Yao after a mediocre game against a faster team. "He played with the after-effects of the flu" Yet most of you YOF's (not necessarily you, Pryuen...I appreciate your Yao threads) were calling for TMac's head after he played poorly with a bum knee.

(And I am not a "hater", I love Yao, so please don't respond with that weak argument anyone)

13. poprocks

poprocks Member

Last year it was push Yao away from the basket. This year it's front him. Why can't we figure out how to get our other players involved if they are going to double Yao?

14. Norway's Winter

no more excuses ~

YAO still got a lot of things to do

He should find more ways when the opponent's try to deny the ball

15. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Naaaaaah.....that was per Rick Adelman's instructions. He had to wait until the double team arrived, such that there will be at least one of his team mates open for him to pass the rock.

If you notice, if he recieves the ball at the low post, and is in good position, he will attack the basket direct; but alot of time, he receives the rock on the high post; if he has to immediately attack the basket, and play one-on-one on his defender, then he has to put the rock down and start to dribble. And we all know, it might not be a good idea for Big Yao to start dribbling.....

16. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

He should have made up his mind (his next move) before the ball is in his hand. He put the ball on the floor because he didn't get into a good position and want to get closer to the basket. A better way to counter such situation is to pass out and repost. I think "wait-and-see" approach applies to those athletic gifted NBA players only, Yao is half a step or may be one step slower than his opponents already, he really didn't have much advantage left if he didn't move (pass or attack) immediately after he gets the ball.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If they are going to front the big 7'6" giant than he should be dominating the offensive glass.

DD

18. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

My earlier reply to Branton applies here too I believe. :)

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

DD, you and have disagreed on alot of things throughout the yr, but can it be any simpler than what you said? i mean wake up and smell the freekin coffee people! Its not the passer fault yao cant get the ball off a front. How about sealing a 6'8 guy and stop letting him push you so far off the block that if the teammates do lob u the ball, you're too far away from the basket. Have you ever seen a team front Hakeem,Duncan,Shaq, or guys like that and not paid for it? I mean you are suppose to kill the offensive glass and or walk across the lane on ball reversal and have easy layups. That comes from bb iq.

20. tulexan

tulexan Member

That is what I was going to say. These excuses are getting ridiculous. A player of Yao's talent should not being getting manhandled by someone who is almost a foot shorter and 50 pounds lighter. If you put Al Harrington on Shaq in his prime, Shaq would have 40+ points and 20 boards. It would be like putting Luther or Rafer on Al Harrington and shutting him down. It shouldn't be happening.