1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YahooSports: Artest weighing other options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tnluong84, May 19, 2009.

1. tnluong84

tnluong84 Member

Big surprise, eh? I'm surprised he didn't announce it yesterday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...nYcB?slug=ap-rockets-artest&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. wgray

wgray Member

3. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

no surprises. both sides posturing a bit and angling for a good deal. to be expected. hope we can sign ron ron.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not surprised. The most interesting part is Les Alexander's statement that the only player that is untouchable is Yao. That means that McGrady is on the block.Les has lost faith in him. He used to like him very much.

5. mms

mms Member

6. mms

mms Member

That ain't news. Morey was shopping Tmac hard before the Feb deadline.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes,but Les kept quiet about it at that time. I'm not as smart as you. :)

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Les said we weren't going to trade him.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Originally, I thought Ron would be back in Houston with a reasonable contract. Now, after seeing how the media has embraced him thanks to his "friendly" battle with Kobe I wonder if that is going to force the Rockets to either let him go or pay him significantly more than they hoped.

If any team was thinking of maybe taking a chance on him they are probably much more likely to now (despite his shooting).

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There aren't too many teams that can pay him.

11. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

They really need to do their homework

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm very bad with keeping up with who has money and who doesn't. Thanks for the info. It is reassuring to know he does not have too many other options. I would like to see him stay if the number is less than say $9 million per year.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

DO you know how much 9 mil a year is in comparison to other NBA player? it is nothing, Ron is gonna get between 9 and 11 million easily

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

This is a very interesting quote. It seems like that Yao DOES have input on personnel decisions.

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The teams that can pay him are the Griz, Pistons and Thunder. Griz aren't go to sign him because of their financial problems, Thunder have a need for a vet and a great fan base that makes them a player but I haven't heard that they have any interest. The Pistons, speaks for itself.

Hopefully, if he does strike a deal with someone its not one of the above and we can do a sign and trade for him. Just don't want to lose him for nothing.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i would hope he would have some input as the franchise player.

from what I could tell I think Yao would want Ron back he has another player who is a vocal leader who leads also by hard work and effort like him. He took towards Ron more than i thought he would.

Artest will weigh his options, but I believe his best option is Houston since they could either sign him for the most money or at the very least S&T him to the team that wanted him that badly.

whether you love or hate him he was a huge part of this team success and identity this season if it can work out you need to bring him back.

17. stroker

stroker Member

According to the Chronicle there are only three teams with cap space and they are Detroit, Memphis and Oklahoma City — hold salary-cap room. It might be difficult to find a team willing and able to go beyond a mid-level exception contract, particularly with Artest coming off a series he called “a failure.”

“Individually, it’s a failure for me,” Artest said. “I just really cannot say that about this team. There really is no reason I shouldn’t have done better.”

He screwed his own contract leverage with each ill advised shot that he took particularly the last few games which will be what most remember about that series against LA. He could have been trying to take the team on his shoulders AND increase his market value all in a series of several ill advised shots. Remember in game 7 some of his bricks were straight out airballs and every national color commentator mentioned his poor shot selection at length so he may have to take below market value, but with the mutual interest between Artest and the Rocks, Morey should get it done.

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

If it wouldn't be too much of an imposition...would you share with us which one of the 29 other NBA teams will make that $9m offer?

Of the teams with capspace, Detroit has Rip and Prince, Memphis has Gay and Mayo and OKC has Durant and Green. Are they going to bench one of these two SF/SG to pay Artest $11m?

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

8-9m is good. billups makes 11m/year and artest is in no way as good as billups.

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

It doesn't matter if teams were stupid enough to give big contracts to players who didn't deserve them in the past.

All that matters is the market right now. Nine million will get you a lot more today than in the past.