1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Xbox One Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 11, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Wow, this thread is a mess.

Are you guys actually just trolling for fun? If so, I can probably save myself some time.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Interesting, I didn't know about the whole accessing your games from any Xbox. The only part that sucks is the used game/selling part of it. Everything else seems pretty cool. Am I missing something else?

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd say the vast majority, 99.9%, of xbox users pay for Xbox Live bc they game online...not because they want to watch their Netflix...so it really doesnt matter that there is a "2nd fee", because that doesnt really apply to many people at all...if any.

4. rezdawg

Yeah, it is pretty cool...but you probably didnt know about it because so many people are trying to knock Xbox for trying to push gaming into the digital era.

5. RC Cola

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

It's hysterical to me that you're defending an arbitrary extra pay gate to a service you pay for already.

7. rezdawg

Sorry, I prob wasnt clear...Didn't mean it as 99% of Xbox owners pay for Xbox Live, I meant to say that those that pay for Xbox Live do so because they are playing online games.

For those that don't want to game online and still want to watch Netflix...you dont need an Xbox to do that, so I dont see the complaints. Could Xbox have made it easier on the consumer? Sure...but last I checked, there are many Netflix users that dont have an Xbox, so Im sure Xbox owners that dont have a Live account can harmlessly figure out a way to watch their shows too. No need to pay for a Live membership, specially if you arent planning on gaming.

8. rezdawg

You dont need an Xbox to watch Netflix...there is no extra pay gate if you dont want there to be. It's very easy to avoid.

9. RC Cola

This kind of sounds like, "If you don't have an internet connection, we have a great product called the 360 for you." Cantsole confirmed. ;)

You really shouldn't be giving consumers a reason to avoid using your product. $500 is too much for a this kind of thing, but I actually wouldn't mind getting a Xbone for myself or someone else at say $200, due to the media features. But if you're forced to pay $60/yr to watch Netflix, etc., then it just makes more sense to get some other device (maybe a PS4 with their TV software and media services, or just a $99 Roku).

Given that MS is targeting this market, I think they should remove some of these barriers if they want to get non-gamers or casual gamers. As it is, only relatively active gamers who also watch a lot of TV (primarily ESPN, sports, etc.) could really take advantage of this. Good for them, but not the biggest market for MS (especially if they ignore/lose some of the dedicated gamer market).

Especially since there isn't any reason to charge for these services to begin with.

10. rezdawg

Well, now that the XBone is really pushing the multimedia aspect of things, I dont think it's smart for them to require a Live membership to view Netflix or Hulu or whatever.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oh rezdawg your arrogance makes me root for the coming of the AHCA sometimes

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is RC paid by Sony?

DD

13. REEKO_HTOWN

RC is a gamer. Since the Xbox isn't a gaming first console anymore I dot see a problem with him like the gaming centric PS4.

14. droopy421

droopy421 Member

[​IMG]

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Heh, that's an understatement. I figured there would be some opposition, but this pretty much the E3 thread all over again.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So what are these multimedia features on the XBone? I have a Roku. What does it offer that I can't get from Roku, Apple TV or Google TV?

17. REEKO_HTOWN

You don't have to press input on your remote to get to the Xbox.

18. RC Cola

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Exactly. We basically agree.

All I'm saying is, there's a substantial market of people who will want to buy an XBone for the games, but not to play multiplayer. Along with that, 360 was already pushed as an all-in-one media center device, and the XBone even more so.

Then they're immediately turning around and telling people they need to sign up for Gold if they want to access their Netflix. That's a ludicrous business practice for a company that's trying to get you to adopt their machine as a multimedia center.

For every one person who pays that fee to them just for the convenience of accessing all their media from one device, a bunch of others are going to say "f*** that, I'll use PS3/4 or Roku to stream video instead."

Now, even if I throw out the window the consideration of how annoying that practice is as a consumer... if I just look at it from Microsoft's perspective, I do not want my customers using other devices to access streaming video services. I'd rather they be on my device wading through my wall of ads.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You're effectively paid by Microsoft.