1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Xbox One Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 11, 2013.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If people don't go with xbox bc of the way MS operates then that's one thing... But the XBone games will be right up there with PS4 games. One doesn't have the edge over the other in gaming.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, there will be great games on both. Remedy, Crytek, Capybara, Insomniac, Respawn, etc., all making some good stuff for Xbone, not to mention multiplatform devs (maybe PS4 version will be "better," but the game itself will be great on both). Essentially 360/PS3 part two.

At least early on...I guess if one or the other bombs (*cough*DRMbacklash*cough*), games could dry up on a platform, and the other would be better, but how things are setup right now, both should offer great games.

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Preordered XBone

Since the PS4 Launch editions are sold out on Amazon I bit the bullet and preorded a Day One edition of XBone with Battlefield 4. I'll probably just pick up a PS4 after its launch date locally.

4. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

You can do that on PS4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OegYm1dM9g

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

not quite what i was referring to, although thats pretty cool too, seems like the xbox one is more integrated into your multimedia system. so i could technically be watching the rockets game and i would see a game invite pop up on the screen.

this is the demo i was referring to when they switched to a completely different game on the fly
    http://youtu.be/RT56gV-IFWw?t=1m37s

will it end up working out this way? i have no idea.

6. RC Cola

If Sony forces game installations (and I guess comes up with a way to still have basic DRM for that?), don't think it would be hard to do that. With having to switch discs, it wouldn't really work well. DD titles could support it of course (maybe you'd only get a notification if it was installed on HDD).

Obviously wouldn't be able to watch TV and see game invites or whatever. There's a PS3 DVR tuner thing in Europe and Japan. Not sure how it handles this. There could be something like that for PS4 at some point, but it would be something you'd pay extra for, and probably not as well supported (none of this stuff has even come to the US to begin with...so how's that for support).

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

One is made for gamers with the expectations and performance gamers want.

How many gamers do you know that give two ****s about Kinect or the media center?

They want to play games and for all the talk of exclusives like Halo, Forza an Gears all those franchises are close to Call of Duty in shine and excitement. A bungie-less Halo? Lol.

When Xbone goes the way of the Dreamast and Saga Saturn there will be PC and PS4 left to fight for "exclusives"

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

the only thing that the one has right now is a slightly sleeker appearance. The two look almost the same.

This could prove to be a major blunder for MS.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

i doubt many gamers care about that stuff but you have to understand that they aren't the only consumers here.

there's people out there that would like a little bit of both worlds and i think for them the xbox is a great choice with lots of potential beyond gaming.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yea those people are in the minority. People that do that are already gamers that do give some importance to media.
    A big % of them like me are turned off by this crap.

11. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Complete bs. Casuals completely outnumber hardcore gamers.

12. rezdawg

Im not big on kinect...and I think I may be able to find the media center useful. I do think that the kinect could be developed into something powerful, if developers really push to make it happen. If that is the case, then that brings a whole new element to "gaming"...and the XBone will have a big edge on the PS4 in that regard.

You cant say the PS4 is meant for gaming and the XBone isnt...the PS4 is meant for gaming and not much else. The XBone, as it stands now, is meant for gaming and possibly a lot more.

The PS4 took the safe road...make things a step better from the previous generation. You know what to expect for them...theyll be consistent and they'll do a very good job.

The XBone took a leap. If they play their cards right, the system can be great. You dont get there without taking risks...and MS has the potential to take things to a whole new level.

It's too early to declare a "winner"...as far as gaming is concerned, worst case is that developers end up building games for the PS4 and porting them to the XBone. If that happens, so be it...I wouldnt feel like Im losing too much. On the other hand, if MS comes through and the XBone is able to do some incredible things, then the difference between XBone and PS4 will be substantial.

It's called the Risk-reward principle.

13. rezdawg

No way those people are the minority...an incredibly overwhelming majority of my friends are casual gamers and prefer XBone bc of the extras. In fact, I might be the hardest core gamer of all my friends, and Im not even good (other than at Madden :grin:).

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Heh?

The PS3 is a better multimedia machine than the 360 is. Better upscaling, better remote, all video functionality within a couple clicks in the interace, blu-ray drive, can store files locally on the hard drive.

Yes, the XBone is putting a bigger focus on multimedia now than they did with the 360, and it's been a bigger focus of their recent presentations than it has for Sony. But that doesn't mean PS4 is automatically going to be a multimedia slouch.

15. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

i'm wondering what these multimedia advantages xbone will have?

16. rezdawg

Ok, let me rephrase then...when it comes to multimedia, the XBone is superior to the PS4.

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Well, the XBone has revealed more nifty futuristic features that a lot of people might care about, and others perhaps not.

For example, one feature I'm interested in is the voice commands, because those could *potentially* remove one of the biggest things that annoys me about the 360: all the video functionality is so separated. Playing a pre-recorded disc is in one spot. Netflix is like 3 tabs overs and a couple clicks down. Media server is in yet another spot far away from pre-recorded discs.
    Hopefully, with voice commands I'll be able to say "play disc," and it'll just happen, not caring if it's pre-recorded or if it has a bunch of avi files on it. But, could be it wouldn't know what to do with a disc with a bunch of avi files on it.
    Will I be able to say "go to media server" and it will? Would be nice. We'll see if that's actually the case.

But beyond all the nifty features they've revealed, there are other more basic things that make a good media center that either I haven't heard anything on, or you can't really test them without the thing being right in front of you.

Will I be able to copy files to the hard drive in case they're stuttering off my media server? Will they actually have full support for mkv files this time around?

And, the video quality and upscaling. If I play the same DVD on the current-gen system, 360 is clearly inferior in quality. They look washed-out compared to the PS3. I *assume* that XBone will remedy this and have excellent picture quality. But will it be better than PS4? About the same? Worse? I really don't know. I doubt we'll know until the systems are released.

18. RC Cola

I think a lot of those features should probably wait until closer to launch. And I don't even mean that as a way of saying "maybe Sony has something" either. MS can still show a lot more to give the Xbone a bigger advantage. Right now, we know it can do some cool things, but what else can it do? Is it mostly just TV stuff that it is better at, or can it do other things better too? Etc.

We've not really see a lot from the OS of either system (especially the REAL OS and not "here's what it should do/look like"), and I'd love to see more.

edit: And as I think I said somewhere, if MS still charges to use this stuff, I'm not sure it is better (well...guess it is better, but maybe not when you consider price).

19. rezdawg

They've already started digging their graves with the way they've handled certain things...if they still charge to use this stuff, then that will be a terrible, terrible decision.

It's pretty evident that, unlike the 360, the XBone will have a greater customer base that is focused more around multimedia than gaming. MS needs to make sure those customers are satisfied, if they want to hit it big...alienating those customers and they are in a world of hurt.

I know people keep talking about how XBox is done...but they have plenty of time to make things right. They just need to be smart about how they handle issues moving forward. Im sure they are using the feedback from gamers to adjust their plans for the system...in the end, Im guessing there will be some compromise with certain things. They came out of the gates with handcuffs while customers wanted their freedom...the end result will be something in the middle. The question will be if that will be good enough.

20. AXG

AXG Member

I completely disagree. The Wii capitalized on the casual gamer market despite a lackluster lineup of games. The Xbox faithful will come around and if M$ can win over a large share of those not converting to Wii U, then they'll do just fine.