1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Morey's package good, DEN don't want deal in WC, HOU bright future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.1560thegame.com/media/?p=2476

Wojnarowski's interview with AM 1560 on league news overall and Rockets in particular. Rockets discussion starting starting at about 6:25.

I think it's interesting because, whatever you think of his style or biases, Wojnarowski is plugged in with NBA sources and the NBA rumor mill.

Quick Summary:

1. The hosts said fans are frustrated because the team seems stuck in the middle. Woj said he understands but attributes the situation to Yao and McGrady's injuryies, which were already there when Daryl came in and said the team knew the foundation wasn't that strong but with the contract that they had, the team had to play it out.

2. Woj said Morey's package for Denver is competitive with that of NY's, but Denver made it clear they didn't want to trade him within the Western Conference.

3. Rockets were willing to take Melo as a rental, knowing that he wants the money and would likely resign with whichever team he got traded to.

4. Woj also said the Rockets are in a position to go out to do what NJ just did when a star becomes available to offer young player and picks that appeal to people. They just need to find one of these players who is ready to move.

5. Woj said Houston is great market that appeals to players. The organization has resources to compete at highest level. It will take that one player. These guys are gonna become available. Woj thinks Houston will be able to get one of of them and be on the way.

3 people like this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

When it gets down to tradin' time the value of our assets drop as people take a hard look at him. There will always be a "Derrick Favors" and that is why a grouping of our lesser assets loses out.

We need to focus on working the young guys, being competitive and taking our picks in the first round and another asset and try to move up in the draft.

3. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Awesome. Gives us a reason to be optimistic esp after all the nonsensical DM bashing that was going on before the deadline.

5. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i certainly hope so. it's been over 15 years since we last did anything significant in the play-offs.

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I think what NJ did to pick up Deron Williams is what ultimately made Morey decide to make the types of moves he did.

Giving up Battier helps the Rockets see exactly what type of player Chase Budinger can be. If he turns out to be a real player, then his value goes up, and it gives the Rockets something extra to add to a trade for a superstar.

Picking up the draft picks can maybe help Houston:

A) Move up in the draft this offseason to snag a player with a lot of potential (pretty much a Derrick Favors type), or;

B) Stock up on even more picks and add them to the mix of trading for a star player.

Honestly, Morey did exactly what he should have done (although, I would have liked to have snagged up Mareese Speights over Hasheem Thabeet) once the Melo (and Deron Williams) things broke down.

7. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Dwight hopefully??? :confused:
    We have the players necessary to play with him but i doubt he would want to come to Houston.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Who is the question....seems like all the stars fit right where they are..they are all either in rebuilding scenario where it's too early to complain or they're on contenders where it's also too early to complain or want out. Nash is one exception, but he's not the one Houston needs anymore. Maybe CP, but it'll be tough if they keep winning and NY looks appealing to him. Granger sgould be available, but I dont know what Bird is thinking. Can't say Iggy is a star, but i guess you can count him as well. It seems like by the time granger and Iggy are ready to be dealt they'll be out of their prime.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I forgot to add that I guess we should be looking at the east then, since these teams want to trade across conferences...

I guess we can add bogut to the list...Bucks arent going anywhere and they may need to rebuild aroudn jennings soon. I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more talk about him, since thats our position of need and they suck :confused:

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Woj is probably the only one I trust with stuff like this. He really knows what he is talking about... With that said, I sure hope he's right!!

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

What "stars" will be avalible?? CP3 is the only one and Lowry shut him down!

And we are NOT gonna get Dwight! As much as I'd love it, he will never be a rocket!

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Trying to rep you Carl, it's not working for me!! Nice find, it's good to know but disappointing as well.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What a relief that the Rockets aren't on his sh** list. Wouldn't want to be on that list.

14. RocketMania1991

Exactly what i've been preaching.............

15. liljojo

liljojo Member

This is why we can't ever tank, especially with such a young roster. We aren't OKC or Cleveland, who will never be able to draw FA's simply because the city sucks.

What we need to do is showcase our young talent, and prove that our team is competitive so that our assets will be worth more, and superstars can see themselves winning it all here.

Good teams have a lot more leverage than bad ones.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Thanks for posting the article. THAT ONE player is Dwight Howard. Lee needs to start calling his best friend. Howard would follow the Rockets historical tradition of having great centers.

17. worzel gummidge

All the more reason to keep Martin & Scola.

Whether it be Deron, Paul or Dwight. These guys aren't signing up to play with young pups. They want to win and win now.

Next season is going to be tricky. Rockets need to stay competitive without eating into future salary. Staying competitive is a reminder to these superstars that the "Rockets are ready to go, just add superstar".

My idea of the ultimate gap year plan:

Nash for cap space + trade sweeteners/extra salary dump?

Options for a center:
    Dragic + T-Will possible key pieces to trade for Minny's draft pick? Already have Darko + Pekovic, no need for Jonas Valanciunas?
    Orlando hold draft rights to Fran Vasquez
    Hill + 2Pat + salary dumped Suns player (eg, Childress) for an expiring vet C?
    Foster for 1 year deal

2011-12
    Nash (expiring), Lowry
    Martin, Lee
    Hill (1yr), Budinger
    Scola, Hayes (1yr)
    ???, Thabeet, Yao (1yr)

2012-13
    Paul/Deron/Nash, Lowry
    Martin, Lee
    ???, Budinger
    Scola, ???
    Dwight, Thabeet

1 person likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

good questions, good answers, but I think Woj overvalues our assets, we don't have top 5 picks or players to offer like NJ did

No way Dwight stays in Orlando, he's already making noises, I wonder if the Magic pull a Jazz and try to trade him before he leaves.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That's what I think too. Surprised he said it. Though, like I said, Woj seems to be pretty plugged in so there is probably something behind it.

In any case, the Rockets players and "packages" will look a lot better if they win more games.

#19 Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  20. moreyball

moreyball Member

It's kind of a catch 22. If we win more games, the value of our picks go down. If we lose, the value of the picks go up but superstars will not want to come here.