1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Morey's package good, DEN don't want deal in WC, HOU bright future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2011.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

While I agree with Wojo, the problem I see is that we really can't do a NJ style deal YET because we don't have that centerpiece rookie/young player to move with picks. NY got away with it because Melo basically forced Denver to make something happen and they blinked. NJ had Favors and while he might not ever become a star, the potential is there. I like our young talent but I don't see a star among them.

NOLA won't trade Paul inside the division, like Tenchi said, and DHoward has already laid the foundation to move to a big market. NY won't have the capspace but all LA has to do in 2012 is agree to move Bynum and Odom and Orlando would probably do it in a heartbeat. Rockets, as always, will be in the mix but don't have anything of value that compares to a Favors or Bynum, JUST YET.

All this is why I think that moving up in this coming year's draft is going to be HUGE. They need a marquee young player not only to develop into a star or attract a star but to TRADE FOR a star. With the picks they will have and having a young centerpiece to a deal, it will make a move more realistic.

1 person likes this.
  2. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Gasol and iggy this summer?

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

why didn't we target for east superstars......?

oh yea, they don't have any

4. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Here's hoping all the superstars move to the east so that eventually a team will want to trade one to us...

5. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Don't tease me like this...

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well your next play is CP3 or Dwill + Howard in 2012.

Maybe this next year at the deadline, there will be all the panic again and we can snag both at the deadline as "rentals"

As long as you have Martin and Patterson, I think you have a crazy good core to build around. However, I dont like Budinger long term at the three.

Who has cap space going into 2012?

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not really. NO isn't exactly B-ball town, and while a stripped-down team has low salaries its extremely unappetizing due to a lack of a star who can pull fans in. Take for example the Cavs right now, they have very little salary and actually have two lottery picks, one of which is guaranteed to be a top 3 pick. You think prospective owners are fighting each other to buy the Cavs from Dan Gilbert? IIRC the cav's value actually dropped by half due to LBJ's departure. The fact while everyone wants their franchise to tank if its far from a championship, no one wants to spend their hard earned money just to see their team get spanked again and again.

So the NBA highly unlikely to trade CP3 unless a package really blows them away, because then no one will want to buy the team.

8. brosef

brosef Member

stfu. ignorance.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I didn't see a "that's what she said" joke... That concerns me...

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

While good, our strategy feels like the Mystery Box in Black Ops Zombies. We just keep getting the teddy bear.

I can't think of a better way to go about things. I'm disappointed with the outcome but content with the strategy.

11. blackistan

blackistan Member

Not likely to happen bc top players are choosing to play alongside other top players. What top players do the rockets have to offer you ask..none. I appreciate the optimism but I really don't see any top tier players coming here to play.

12. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Conspiracies aside, I've become jaded by all the hearsay since the Bosh to Houston trade rumors. Why would Howard want to come to Houston from a talent standpoint? The team w/ Howard will likely be on the same level to Orlando.

13. brosef

brosef Member

not to mention they touched base in the interview about the fact hes become a reliable source for news around the league with rumors and what not.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As the East piles up stars, our chances of trading for them does improve.

As others have said, we had a good offer. But teams unwilling to load up a conference rival impeded us greatly I feel.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Not to mention Dwight opens up the door for top PGs like Paul. Stars are aligning. Will the Rockets connect the dots?

16. blink

blink Contributing Member

no, d12 is going to LA

17. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I don't think it's so much that they don't want to play here, as much as teams really don't want to do deals with other teams in the same conference. The whole Chris Bosh situation was one where, had Lebron and Wade not decided to play in Miami together, he more than likely would have come here instead. It was by far the best fit for him and at the time everyone thought Yao was going to come back and be the starting center. If Bosh had come here, even without Yao, we would be talking playoffs... probably in the 5th or 4th seed.

18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I was looking over Free agent targets...i guess it is possible we can get a decent player.

Centers

Nene (as of now)
    Oden
    Marc Gasol
    Deadre Jordan

I am not sure how those teams pay roll flexibility is but I do know that grizzlies cant afford to over pay another player.

I am not sure how clippers salary cap looks but id imagine theyd match anything we offered

Then there are two restricted wing free agents
    Wilson Chandler
    Jeff Green

They would be back up plus to the centers above...

Dalembert is there as a last option and also fesenko...

anyone know how high those teams can afford to go and if we can get under the cap enough to make a run at any of them? (sucks perkins is off the market)

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You mean other than the WC Championships in '97, right?

20. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Yeah but Morey seems to be using a stratagy like the one I use, which is use a wall weapon for the first 12+ rounds bulid points, then hit the box like a dozen times until I get the weapon I want.