1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is it that when it comes to coaching, they get none of the credit and all of the blame?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 17, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Isn't Sloan that coach who had 2 of the 8 best players in the NBA - Malone and Stockton - and could not win a championship?

2. mirus

mirus Member

been curious about rockets fan feedback on sloan coaching as well. i thought the negative replies when the subject is brought up is due to jazz rivalry (gen speaking)?:confused:

3. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Michael Jordan. Scottie Pippen. Phil Jackson.

The question is whether a realistic candidate is better than McHale.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

My next post added parts which I felt were not explained enough. But think a simple way to sum up my feeling is, I feel his premises are wrong. That if the coaches had done ____ differently, the Rockets would have a better result. The thing is, this is impossible to both prove and disprove. Would lower pace give us better wins? Would more PnRs get us more wins? Would playing Asik over Smith at certain time win us more games? No one knows. Perhaps the alternate decision is even worse, perhaps better.

Also, listing only perceived faults(decisions in losses) and ignoring pluses(decisions in wins) is kind of pointless. It's like pointing out that a student missed 2 points on a test, and not state whether the test is out of 5 or 100. Which makes a lot of difference.

5. split41

split41 Member

Yeah, you're probably right, but I think as all of us are fans it's in our nature to nitpick.

We all obviously want everyone to do well, but those questionable coaching decisions can sometimes put a black mark on our impression of the game and, I guess, we overblow them.

Most of us try to be objective, but as fans were passionate (I can't speak for everybody), and tend to overthink things. I can see both sides, really.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I just brought it up. I personally don't hate the Jazz or any other NBA team. It would be a fruitless emotion.

I just brought up the fact that Sloan had more talent on the Jazz rosters than even the most unrealistic dreamer would attribute to the Rockets roster. And he never managed a title.

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

In short, Morey got the Rockets better and more inductive-to-winning players than their ages indicate.

While he hasn't played at that level this year, Linsanity was Linsanity because of the 7-0 and the way Jeremy Lin elevated the play of his teammates, as one example. Morey himself said the incredible part about Lin's play last year was he put up the stats, AND "made the team better and helped it win". And that that was rare in young players.

#87 mike_lu, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Because Sloan was the original teacher of flopping. That entire team looked like they got hammered by a bus every time a Rocket even breathe on them. They also had Karl Malone, the guy who karate kicks every time he shoots the ball. There are so many more examples, but those two came off the top of my mind first.

9. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

They're playing Greg Smith more (obviously due to PPat injury too). They're good in my book. I wish Bynum was playing on Wednesday so Smith would beast him out of the gym too

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

By this logic, Morey also hand picked McHale to develop the youngsters he acquired. So if he's good at picking out player talent, wouldn't you also trust his judgement on those who teach these players?

11. split41

split41 Member

Yeah, I definitely agree, but like i said in my post above, I think it's in our nature as fans to nitpick and point out perceived faults. I guess, the rationale behind it is that if we could fix these faults we would be running at our optimum efficiency, therefore we could see what we're really capable to achieve as a team consistently. I suppose it is sort of pointless, though.

Either way, in terms of coaching, it definitely could be worse.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

And they went to the "Finals" twice, losing to the Bulls. The Bulls were 6-0 in the NBA finals with that certain MJ. It wasn't like the Jazz only got to the 2nd round a couple of times.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

lol like your attitude!

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

No argument here. I just brought it up to try to deliver some perspective into the Rocket fans coaching spaz attacks.

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Well, my post said he seemed good with player development, holding players accountable and had the respect/trust of the players, and I added a question mark on whether this offsets his weaknesses in in-game situations and X&Os. I also said the coaches (him and Simpson) had one 1/8 of the games this season due to the unfortunate circumstances this year.

But I added that I fear McHale talks a better game than he can actually coach (I mean the in-game/X&O stuff).

You can debate whether the Rockets would've had a materially Better/worse record or not with a better coach or better in-game decisions, but you can't seriously say many of those decisions (very key ones) did not range from puzzling to downright low probability bets (which is my poker analogy). You can win taking low probability decisions, but that doesn't make them good decisions.

Let me add a bit more. I recall Morey saying McHale scored tops in his interview in terms of things like what plays to run in late game situation (or in different situations) for example when to go 2-for-1, what play to run out of time-outs etc, and that his instincts actually matched closely with Morey's statistical data.

But it's hard to believe our in-game decision making have really been great.

Hence I fear McHale talks a better game, and in-game, when everything is moving fast and real-time, cannot adjust quickly enough or accurate enough. Perhaps he'll improve with more 'coaching' experience. Knowing what to do and actually being able to do it when the time calls for it, can be very different things.

#95 mike_lu, Dec 18, 2012
  16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Well, considering that Morey also chooses the assistant coaches (by default since he and McHale reached an agreement that allows Morey final say, and Morey required McHale to keep Morey's hand picked guys) the only possible answer is that Morey is just fine with McHale as a head coach.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think posters on Clutchfans believe that McHale does not have to justify his in game decisions to the rest of the Rockets organization. His decisions can be and probably are questioned by:

Les
    Morey
    His assistant coaches
    McHale himself.

And realistically, the in game coaching is the product of both McHale and his staff. That man is not sitting on an island.

18. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Clutchfans aren't the only ones blaming the coaching.

ESPN: Sampson and McHale failed Jeremy Lin

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8757744/jeremy-lin-shows-new-york-knicks-why-keeper

19. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

if this continues and we have the 2 guards meshing well. Who cares about the past. The Head Coach is back, maybe sampson was playing a risky move by benching lin (might have affected his confidence and created doubt within him), maybe sampson was limitinging lin's minutes for him to heal his knee. But why bother digging into this ? Lets move forward.

20. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Sure, got no probs with that if you feel that way.

I already mentioned if it is a consistent, valid criticism on the coaches, not just a child rant, then I think it is valid and reasonable to be posted. I think Torocan has certainly been amongst the most consistent of posters here, and uses a healthy combination of eye-test backed by data whenever he could.

Myself, i thinkMcHale brings pluses and minuses, and I think it will take at least this whole season for him to be judged fairly. He's effectively had less games head coaching as our starting five combined, so he's got a chance to improve also.

#100 mike_lu, Dec 18, 2012