1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is it that when it comes to coaching, they get none of the credit and all of the blame?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 17, 2012.

1. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Morey chose Sampson and Finch, McHale chose junior Bickerstaff (Minnesota associate), which is fine and a good balance. Sampson is more experienced and useful when McHale has to step down, Finch is the long term head coach being groomed.

My take with Morey choosing assistants is he wants continuity in terms of the coaching philosophy and for them to learn the X&Os of the head coaches. Basically the Rockets have lost the philosophy of JVG/Thibo and Adelman over the 8 years they were Head Coaches here, because Thibo left, and RA wanted his own assists and took them when he left. So despite having, individually, probably the best defensively coach in the NBA and a top 3 offensive coach, the Rockets have nothing to show for it now, because when they left, everything left.

But if Finch could learn, adopt and keep the best of all the head coaches, he would bring continuity to the X&Os for the Rockets.

2. Grigori

Grigori Member

As a Rockets fan, my opinion on having Jerry Sloan as the Rockets head coach is that the universe will implode if that ever happens.

Looking at it more objectively, he has one of the most important qualities for a head coach: Even the players who do not enjoy playing for him admit that he is an uncompromisingly fair and consistent man and always gives it to you straight and you never have to guess where you stand with him. There is none of that Westphal/McHale-style mercurial whims and handwaving mumble-jumbo with him. He was somewhat inflexible in his early years, but he had learned to be a lot more flexible in his later years. The flex offense he runs uses a lot of guard screens, though, so that may not be the best fit for Harden.

3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I agree totally with you here, mike_lu.

STRUCTURE, offensively and defensively, is KEY for the development of this youung Rockets team.

Specifically the ones whom you've placed a lot of emphasis on acquiring.

The Rockets are currently a rebuilding team. It isn't regarded as such right now, because the Rockets haven't made the "obligatory" trip to the lottery to kind of make that status official for them (and consequently reveal the need that building a good team takes time). Unfortunately, all of this hand-wringing so early on in this season just reveals the persistence of the microwave-mentality of our society about a great many things.

If it hasn't worked by two days ago, then scrap it and try something else.

The team is still going to be in flux for a while (particularly with the front court players possibly being shuttled in and out), so it makes no sense to establish anything with a Patrick Patterson for instance, who may or may not be here for the forseeable future (the length of both Lin and Harden's contracts, for example).

The team (outside of Harden and/or Asik and Parsons) needs to conform to what works best for Lin as the playmaker point guard. However briefly he did it in New York, Lin impressed the organization enough to place a huge (if coyly understated) permium on his services.

But it is a work in progress. And all in all, it's not really going too badly.

I've chosen to think of this season (particularly with the acquisition of James Harden) as the Rockets' lottery pick season. So I'm inclined to give this thing some time.

We should all feel that way.

But that's not what a fan website is for.

Happy mediums, I supppose. And Happy Holidays.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Fixed that for you.

I agreed with the rest of your post, though.

#104 WinkFan, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  5. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

The one positive about when Lin does stand and wait for 3 and takes it is that he is bound to get better at 3's by taking them. Harden is bound to get turnovers under control if he is constantly handling the ball also. Lin IMO already is solid ball handler and passer so once he starts being able to hit 3's we will be in good shape. Honestly I would like to see Lin be the handler more often but it is also good to see Lin develop his shot. Both Lin and Harden still have work to do, so I just believe that style of playing is to help their weakness. Not sure about when Lin is pulled (combination of good Douglas play and or not looking comfortable out there as he should). I am fine with the coaching though and haven't bashed McHale yet although some things baffle me I am not going to pretend I know more than the coaching staff who work and see them practice and know what to look for when players are at their best or not there mentally/physically.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Very well said. This is how I look at it. This team with this talent level is about where they're suppose to be at. I never though this linsanity thing would be for the entire season. As I've stated before,the entire league and scouting don't miss a superstar type of talent through the entire draft. They may miss were to draft a guy,but at least the guy is drafted.

I guess if your expectations were where mine were, its cool. That's one reason I haven't been popping off on the board. They have 1 all star talent in harden,1 guy who looks to be a boderline all star talent in parsons, and a bunch of guys. The only other guys we think have all star talent are rookies like jones and donuts. I doubt any coach could get moreout of this talent than the rockets coaching staff. Have they been perfect? No,what coach has ben. In this league it takes players and currently the rockets are void of impact type players.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

Why do you say this?