1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whose Fault is it that Diabetics Don't Buy Insulin from Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 10, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Insulin prices have been in the news lately. Insulin costs $100 to $200 with no insurance monthly depending

Wal-Mart sells it for $25 and have been for four years.

Mu mother told me about Wal-Mart right when they started but she reads the paper and was a RN

That being said i wouldn't know about it had my mother not told me, ive never seen Wal-Mart advertise it.

One of the reasons Obamacare tries is make you shop doctors. It tries to put your med records in a database to help you shop doctors so a new doctor or EMS type can have your records.

Obviously Americans value family doctors and privacy but more info and its benefits outweigh those concerns

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Different insulin types cost a different amount.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There are two main types fast acting and long acting. Wal-Mart sells both. I know you have dibetes but doctors have only talked with me about those and thats what the Harris County Health System uses, the brand Wal-Mart sells

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Among the fast acting insulin there are different kinds. For example Novalog and Humalog are different than just R or N insulin medicines.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Insulin is a hormone. You can't think of it like a medicine differing by brand. Or think of it like gasoline

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They do the same thing

Decrease sugar. Thats all any of them do

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

They do it in different ways with different timing. The fact that they all decrease sugar doesn't mean that any of them will work the same. They work very differently.

It's kind of like saying that Tylenol and morphine, and Celecoxib all help manage pain. But they wouldn't all be used the same way.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No its not like comparing morphine to aspirin

Aspirin relieves pain. Morphine is addictive and kills

Insulin decreases blood sugar like the next damn insulin. And im only upset about the stupid comparison. People can adjust to speed of brand.

I bet for a given blood sugar level the same amount of Insulin is prescribed across brand cause just gasoline its all the same.

Just like the same amount of gasoline per trip regardless of brand

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You are mistaken. Insulin doesn't decrease blood sugar like the next damn insulin. I don't know if your doctor is giving you the wrong information, or if you aren't understanding what your doctor is telling you,

1. There is long acting insulin. It is taken in larger doses and releases throughout the day over time.
    2. There is standard short acting insulin. It is taken in smaller doses often with meals.
    3. There are extremely short acting insulin types like the Novalog and Humalog. They are taken with each meal in various doses depending on the amount of carbs that you eat. It is often used in pumps which drips a bit into your system all the time and then is also given with each meal in doses depending on how many carbs.

If you use the wrong type of insulin the wrong way you are in danger of dying. So wherever you got the idea that each insulin is all the same as the next, you should immediately stay away from that source of insulin information.

For instance if you mistake the short acting insulin or the Humalog or Novalog for the long acting insulin and take the dose that you would normally take for the long acting insulin you will end up dead, or in the hospital if you are lucky enough to have someone who finds you and calls 911.

Like Morphine taken in an incorrect method, taking the wrong insulin kills. Please learn what you are talking about before spreading dangerously incorrect information like you mentioned in your post.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I said there was short acting and long acting. At the end of the day speed may vary but the essential function is decreasing sugar. The same thing natural insulin does. Speed matters as an after affect but as long as your dose is in order its totally safe.

The morphine/Tylenol comparison is totally out of line.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

FB is right, also you really need to chill with the conspiracy theories man.

CometsWin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I don't get what you were trying to prove @pgabriel

Obama sucks and Trump made this drug cheaper?

Obama is secretly selling this drug at Walmart?

Does Obama want to have a database of what drugs you get forever?

Also, I am not a Doctor or a RN, nor a diabetic. You sound like if I were to create a thread on a topic I know nothing about.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The county treats a lot of diabetics. They offer two insulins. The same two as Wal-Mart. Same brand fast acting or long acting.

Insulin does one thing. Reduce sugar
    Immediately and over time. The speed of immediate insulin may vary across brand but the result is the same including the reduction per amount across brands. That doesn't vary.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Humility ain't your cup of tea eh?

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Again there are actually more than two types if you look at sub categories.

Like with Morphine and Tylenol, both are used to treat pain. But if you use them both the same way, you will be dead or in the hospital.

If you use the different insulin medication the same ways, you will be dead or in the hospital.

While both medicines treat the same symptom (high blood sugar/pain) they cannot be used the same way. Doing so may result in death.

You are spouting nonsense. If anyone listened to your crap about all they do is lower blood sugar and so they are the same, that person be in danger of losing their life. I don't think anyone would listen to your crap, but you shouldn't spew that wreckless garbage.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What two brands are so different that the same dose of one will kill you in another?

The only difference in insulins are speeds

Insulin is a hormone. It has a specific job. Synthetic is just a replacement

#17 pgabriel, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@FranchiseBlade

How can the county only provide fast acting and long acting novolog?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The county health system that treats a lot of diabetics uses the exact same insulin

Your article only talks about a timing difference.

For none diabetics the faster acting is for bringing blood sugar down immediately. Doctors have a handle on how much should be used given the blood sugar level.

20. HTM

HTM Member

I’ll throw my 2 cents in on the great insulin debate.

Humalog and novolog are essentially the same thing based on my usage/experience and understanding. These are short acting insulins used to regulate carb intake.

There is another long lasting insulin (I have only ever used Lantus not sure what the other brands are). This insulin is suppose to be taken twice a day at the same times giving a person a baseline amount of insulin in their system to help keep blood sugar levels in range as best it can.

*source - 13 year Type 1 who has used those 3 insulins.

FranchiseBlade likes this.