1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Whose Fault is it that Diabetics Don't Buy Insulin from Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 10, 2019.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you think it had/has anything to do with this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/24/us/politics/pharmacy-benefit-managers-gag-clauses.html

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, it felt like the thread immediately went in the wrong direction. From the OP I thought the point of the thread was about how our pharmaceutical industry, seen in the microcosm of insulin, does not operate like a market should. When you have a big competitor like Walmart selling at a much lower price, you'd expect other providers to be forced to reduce their prices as well, but they don't. Thus, a market failure. FranchiseBlade perhaps makes a good point that if the Walmart insulins are not appropriate for some people's diabetes, they aren't really a competitor product for those customers. Makes sense. But, for the types of insulin that Walmart does sell (and knowing Walmart's business strategy, they'd focus on the biggest segments), any seller who can't get into that price ballpark would only have market share if the market isn't working right. There are no clear or rational price signals in healthcare, and many ways for healthcare companies to take customers captive. The whole industry needs to be restructured.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . .. my understanding . . .. is that your understanding . . . .
    is that these people dying because they cannot get their insulin
    are chosing to die. . . . .rather than buying from WalMart?

Is that what this thread is saying?

Rocket River

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think this is a reaction to all the news about people dying because they cannot afford Insulin
    So
    He thinks they are chosing to die rather than buy from walmart
    So . . it is their own fault they are dying

Rocket River

5. IVFL

IVFL Member

Crazy thought. Maybe people with diabetes don’t all live near a Walmart. My mother has diabetes and is on a pump. She gets her insulin from the local pharmacist 10 minutes away and not the Walmart an hour and a half away. Just remeber that your day to day experience is not everyone else’s.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Hey bro i didn't say that. The first problem is that i don't think people are aware which i stated

Secondly i dont understand why any insulin is expensive.

@IVFL

I understand everyone cant get to a WalMart. I hope you didn't take offense, i understand i probably could have worded the title of the thread better. Don't mean to blame the diabetics

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Apologies
    The "whose fault is it"...threw me off

Rocket River

pgabriel likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's a weird take. Pgab was surprised people's low awareness cheap insulin at Walmart. Maybe Walmart should spend more to market it, but of course their mission is to make money for shareholders, not solve diabetes. Really what we want is for all the other providers of insulin to compete with Walmart on price.

While I have the diabetics here: I had a relative with diabetes (who couldn't afford the insulin) treat himself with nopalitos (prickly pear cactus), and it worked (plus diet changes too, to be fair). The nopalitos are surprisingly effective at driving down blood-sugar levels. I was amazed. Probably doesn't work for everybody. But, speaking of cheaper alternatives, that's probably the cheapest thing you can do, provided it works for you.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will look into that
    interesting. . . I was wonder what a diabetic would do in a post apocalypic world for a story

Rocket River