1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the better QB prospect - Vince Young or Matt Leinart?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by IC2000, Nov 28, 2005.

?

Who is the better prospect?

1. Vince Young

131 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Matt Leinart

120 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Who is the better prospect?

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I voted Leinart. As much as I love Texas and Vince Young, I'm not sold on his arm and his throwing mechanism. Leinart just seems like a solid pocket QB who will develop into an above-average QB. (ala Carson Palmer)

If Young doesn't fix his throwing mechanism, his upside will be Michael Vick at best and won't ever develop into a true QB.

Also one other person you missed is Brady Quinn. People have been talking about him a lot too.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

So you pick a possible future carson palmer over a future possible michael vick

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Michael Vick is great but I'm in the "michael vick is overrated camp." He's a highlight reel but can he be counted on to lead a 2 minute drill to win a game. I'm sold Carson Palmer can do that but I'm not sold Vick can. Vince Young won't be able to run like Vick but hopefully he'll be able to pass better. The odds of Leinart playing like Palmer are better than Young playing like Vick.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Carson Palmer might win the MVP this year. I would call him more than "above average".

Vince Young, while a great college player, is listed below Leinart in every mock draft I've seen (those drafts are assuming VY comes out this year).

There are too many question marks as a pro for Vince....but yes, he can really run.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I voted for Matt Leinart. VY is really good in the college game, but I'm not convinced of his throwing ability for the NFL.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is a tough call, they are 2 really different QBs and it's hard to say who is the better QB prospect.

Right now, I would say Leinart, he's got the Championships, the Heisman. Palmer is a great example of what Leinart could be, coached through the same system and went through 3 years under Chow.

But Vince has got another year and I think he'll prove to be the best QB in the nation next season, maybe even better than Leinart was.

Young can further improve his passing throughout next season, but I don't think Leinart can improve his running ability as much. As far as the VY/Vick comparison, Vick is a whole lot faster than VY will ever be, but personally, I think VY's passing was better than Vick's during his college career.

I think if you do the same poll at the end of next season and compare the 2 after their Senior season, I think VY would be the better prospect.

#7 gucci888, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Anyone have a pic of Reggie as the Hamburglar?

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Matt Leinart = Carson Palmer

Vince Young = a poor-man Michael Vick

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Running ability is not a necessity for an NFL qb. The best qb on the planet is Peyton Manning and he can't run worth a lick.

Vick has greatly curtailed his running from when he entered the league, also.

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

Drew Olson is the best QB in college this year. 30 Td's and 3 ints.

Everyone will know who he is when UCLA trounces USC.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

mike vick is the most overrated player in the game. vince young can stay healthy unlike mike vick and he is much bigger and taller.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

at this point Matt Leinart is BY FAR the better pro prospect. it's not even close. and i'm a big UT fan.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Exatly. The pro defenses are so much better than the college defenses, you need qbs that can throw the ball well. Look at how long the qbs that runs alot last in the NFL, the pocket passers last longer. Even the running qbs looks to pass first and run second in the NFL (Vick is the only exception, and he is not exatly healthy).

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The pizza boy could get no satisfaction so he started his own poll.

V-I-N-D-I-C-A-T-I-O-N

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Knock, knock.

17. IC2000

Actually I was intelligent enough to realize that most people had no idea this was being argued. The only people who saw the argument were those who would read a UT A&M thread. And who would most of those people favor?? So I decided to throw it out there for everyone! Thanks for the concern though idiots! I bet you guys did not even go to college or have jobs.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and i'm not sure i'd want Vick, either.

i think Young has it in him to be a better passer than Vick on the pro level. having another RB play QB, in my opinion, isn't the best use of resources in the NFL

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I voted Young just to spite IC2000.

20. IC2000

It does not matter ,the poll is going to be skewed anyways because of all the UT fans. Somehow Leinart is still winning..hmmmn :eek: