1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do the Rockets go from here? Will Morey go after Lebron James?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Jul 16, 2013.

1. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I'm going to brush on a few things in this write-up:
    • Daryl Morey's awesomeness
    • Why we shouldn't let Asik hit Free Agency in 2015
    • The possibility of signing Lebron James in 2014

There are so many possibilities that it's impossible to predict what Rockets will do next without inside knowledge, but honestly I wonder if even Morey knows what Morey will do next. He last season was going to be a quiet one not long before news broke that the Rockets traded for Thomas Robinson, apparently that opportunity presented itself out of nowhere and Morey just jumped at it. Interestingly, there were rumors that Morey never intended to keep Thomas Robinson and simply acquired him because he thought Robinson would be easier to move if need be--a move I like to call opportunity friendly. It's because of these opportunity friendly moves that Morey was able to offer the kind of package Sam Presti was looking for in return for James Harden (although to Sam Presti's dismay Toronto's 1st round pick wasn't as high as he hoped), and the cap space needed for the signing of Dwight Howard.

[​IMG]
    A very cool illustration of the opportunity friendly moves Daryl Morey made which eventually led to the signing of Dwight Howard

My first thought of what the Rockets should do next is simple: stand pat, all we need to do from here is improve from within and we have enough to win a championship. Problem with that though is that things change, eventually Asik's contract will end in 2015 and chances are he won't re-sign knowing he will be playing second fiddle to Rocket Man. Will we still have enough to win a championship without Asik? Maybe, maybe not, regardless I don't see the sense in losing such a valuable asset for nothing in return. We might have a little cap space to sign another free agent after Asik's and Lin's contract ends in 2015 but it won't be enough for a max contract by my estimation which I will illustrate below.

The salary cap for 2014-2015 season projected to be somewhere around $62.5 million, the 2015-2016 projection should be even higher than that but sometimes the cap ends up falling below early projections (for example the early projection for 2013-2014 was $60 million but ended up being only $58.68 million).

2015-2016 salaries:
    Dwight Howard $22,359,364
    James Harden $15,719,219
    Terrence Jones $2,489,530
    Donatas Motiejunas $2,288,205
    Isaiah Canaan $947,276
    Total: 43,803,438
    + Chandler Parsons $8-10 million = $52-54 million

And that doesn't even include all the cap holds which could amount close to $3 million collectively, and other players who might be on our roster like Patrick Beverley who can decline his qualifying offer and seek a raise. Simply put, nothing good can come of it if we let Asik hit Free Agency in 2015 and we should trade him before it comes to that.

Now, this is the part where I start to sound like a delusional Rockets fan but bear with me. If we trade Asik and Lin during the 2014 trade deadline or 2014 off-season we will once again open the door to another great opportunity--the opportunity to sign Lebron James if he opts out and chooses Houston. I know the chances of Lebron opting out and joining the Rockets is very unlikely right now, but I think Daryl Morey will take the gamble--call it an educated guess based on Morey's history of gambling when the risk is low and the reward is high. The reason I say the risk is low is because if we don't get Lebron we will probably get another good player anyway, the 2014 Free Agent class is said to be a good one and Houston is a very desirable destination now. The reason I say the reward is high is obvious--it's Lebron James--arguably the greatest player since Michael Jordan.

Howard
    Lebron (Jones and/or DMo will probably get traded if we get Lebron)
    Parsons
    Harden
    Canaan

With Lebron, the Houston Rockets would arguably have the best team in NBA history.

The chances of Lebron signing with Houston are low for now, but the chances of Howard signing with Houston were also low a year ago. Anything is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyjOy7fRzs0

2. arjun

arjun Member

i dont see lebron leaving miami..unless its for cleveland

then again...who knows.

3. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Yep, Moary is going to get Lebron James AND Chris Paul.

Howard
    LMA
    Lebron
    Hardens
    Paul

ITS HAPPENING! GO ROCKETS!

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I don't know if Lebron is interested in joining another set of Superfriends. He might get bored of winning on super teams after he threepeats this year and might take a bigger challenge and go to Cleveland.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't know why people keep thinking LBJ will possibly go to Houston. It's an even bigger pipe dream than Kevin Love going to Houston. LBJ is all about his legacy. He is either going to continue trying to build a dynasty on the Heat OR go back to Cleveland, only this time with an entourage of players willing to follow him since he has finally won it all not once, but twice. He is NOT coming to Houston. If DM does perform a miracle though, I will gladly eat crow and donate $50 to the tip jar. Anyone can feel free to quote me on this or remind me if such a phenomenon does come to past.

6. poing

poing Member

so we make fun of laker fans for thinking lebron james could go to los angeles, but there are fans here who think lebron james could come to houston?

7. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I don't think Lebron will come to Houston, the chances are too low, but even if he doesn't come to Houston there are still other free agents available in 2014 so it's a low risk/high reward gamble--the type of gamble Morey likes to take.

Seems like a lot of people missed the point though--letting Asik walk in 2015 makes little sense.

8. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

We'd have so many bandwagons.

9. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

That's a dream team right there. Luxury taxes would be through the roof!

10. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

[​IMG]

sources from Hoopsworld and bleacher report say Yes

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I thought of this as soon as we got Dwight Howard. We would technically be able to sign & trade for LeBron next season, and have a nice array of draft picks/prospects/Asik/Lin/Parsons to offer to do so.

And, is there a better place for him to go than Houston? Two top 10 players, possibly top 5 depending on how next season goes.

I suppose it depends on how much he thirsts for championships, and whether Miami is willing to entertain SnT offers should he choose to leave.

12. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

Hardens? Morey clones Harden, uses clone as 6th man, maybe he will finally win exec of the yr. I like where you're head's at.

13. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

For LeBron its either Miami or Cleveland, in my opinion.

Lakers, Rockets, whoever else fanbases make up as contenders are unlikely.

14. conquistador#11

Howard
    Lebron
    Lebron
    Lebron
    Lebron.

that's your starting five. make it happen murray!

15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

No need to sign Chandler if Rox sign LBJ. And if Chandler keeps it up, he'll be getting more than 8-10 mil

16. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I see it happening!!! But I'm a one eyed Rockets fan...

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I know morey will atleast see if lebrons interested and go from there. There's no doubt in my mind though that lebron, harden and Howard fit together better than lebron, wade and bosh. Harden plays the wade roll even better cause he can hit outside shots plus he isn't old and on the decline. While dwight is far superior in every aspect but shooting to bosh and would give lebron the defensive presence behind him he's never had.

Ultimately I think lebron would take to much flack for coming to Houston that's why it won't happen but you can bet that when he does hit free agency morey will be ready to pounce and it wouldn't shock me if lebron entertains the idea.

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

I could see Lebron coming to Houston. He's been known to being a front runner, lol. Lebron will go to the team that gives him the best chance to win.

No way he would go to Cleveland. They are just a terrible front office, even when they suck, cavs can't seem to build a respectable team. Wasted draft picks on Tristan thompson, Anthony Bennett, Waiters? They couldve have had Andre Drummond...

19. bmd

bmd Member

Wouldn't hurt to try... but I just can't see LeBron coming to Houston.

20. chandlerbang21

there is absolutely no reason for james to return to Cleveland. It seems like once one well known media person makes up a rumor, it gets carried on for years by "fans"