1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be Plan B (if Mike James will not sign with Rockets).

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sherry02, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just when I thought I was out, you pull me back in!

The reason I don't want to hear 'the facts' as according to you is because they are exactly that - the facts according to you and no one else. You completely disregard anything (regardless of the source) that contradicts what you want to think. You're not concerned with facts at all, but you LOVE to pretend it's all you're discussing. Why on god's earth should I be interested in your 'facts' so long as that's the case?

Now, in regards to the only three of my facts you chose to address out of everything I said:

1. I didn't say that it is definitive that all offers to Mike James have been the same. I said that is what has been reported and that anything else is just speculation, but please, feel free to put all the words you like in my mouth.
    2. He still said all of that.
    3. I agree that would mean absolutely nothing if we were talking about a LARGE difference in money, but by all indications we aren't. (actually, according to all indications we're talking about the SAME money but don't let that get in the way of your position) Let me ask you this, would you uproot your family and move to Dallas or Minnesota to get paid the exact same amount of money you get paid here in your hometown? I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, you wouldn't. (Though I'm beginning to think you might do it just to prove a point, despite the fact your point is wrong!) Unless you have a wild hair up your ass and just want a change of scenery, this just wouldn't make any sense. Again, until reported otherwise, the wise assumption is that we're talking equal money here. The only other option is to go with a completely baseless assumption that relies entirely on wild speculation and completely disregards every single report on the topic. (In case you're wondering, that's the option you took)

Well, quoting those other posters wasn't to add to my creditability. I was pointing out instances in which they stated actual facts (You know, those things that are accepted to be true) while you were talking about how everybody needs to argue the facts but offering absolutely NO facts. Instead, you opted to give your opinion, completely disregarding anything the media has reported or even that Mike James himself has said, and attempting to pass it off as fact. Your "facts" seem rely exclusively on a combination of your keen insight into multi-million dollar dealings and a gut feeling (which might just be an ulcer).

Seriously, show me a single thing you've stated through-out this entire thread that is anything more than your opinion/wild speculation. Otherwise, quit talking about facts. You don't want to hear them.

P.S. I'll consider the fact that you could only argue with three things I stated (out of everything ALL of that) a victory - especially considering you had to revise my words to even have an argument in one of them.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Stop it... you guys are killing me! Great stuff. :D :cool:

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Exactly!!!! Mike James is so important to the Rockets- a lot more important to us than the Mavs or Wolves!
    Les must be prepared to sweeten the deal even if it has to be under the counter- A Rolls Royce- A small apartment downtown Houston etc.
    CD must be prepared to offer the full five years like Mike James first requested. CD you cant let this one get away, under no circumstsnces!!!!!!!!

4. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Plan B is JVG puts on a ninja suit and hits Shane Battier in the knee with a bat so he can't pass his physical. Then we get Gay and Swift back and we'll be alright.

5. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

because....?

6. anitasri

anitasri Member

First of all dont get personal. I never said he would go to Minnesotta per se- but Dallas is a short Drive away, and Mark Cuban knows that Houston will be a problem he will have to deal with. So why not rob the one piece that we set our sight on? Are you telling me that this guy will not throw in an additional year for the contract.

Nowhere have I stated that these are NOT my conclusions give the situations. You guys are talking about a 3 year MLE- when there is a whole thread quoting the Toronto Sun about a 3 year 30 Million offer! As far as credibility I would go with the Sun than any of you who suggests that the offer is for a 3 year MLE.

Let me ask you this, would you uproot your family and move to Dallas or Minnesota to get paid the exact same amount of money you get paid here in your hometown? I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, you wouldn't. (Though I'm beginning to think you might do it just to prove a point, despite the fact your point is wrong!)

Unquote

So basically your assumption is that all 3 offers in front of him are the SAME. Which I dont think is necessarily true- you want proof, tell me why they are waiting for the MLE numbers as has been reported ( I seriously doubt that to be the primary reason for the wait)

It may well be that we sign him in the end- but Consider this

1. Mike James is more important to this team
    2. We cannot afford Bonzi at this point- and signing Mike would perhaps make it easier to pitch to another solid role player to accept the MLE

All of this will be moot- if Tracy misses a week the coming season, more than anything else that will be what determines where we go. If you guys are whining about the "extra" money for Mike James- just take a breath and think about Tracy's contract- even Tracy at 80% will make it impossible for us to be a contender.

In a situation like this you go with a "worst case scenario" and assume that we have all the bases covered rather than naively believe that " his wife is pregnant and he has a home in Houston" logic! Infact precisely because of that- another baby on the way and a new house being built- an extra million or two would be nice. If this was my last big contract- I would ? Mike James does not need a ring- it is Tracy who needs one. It is Rockets fan who need a break into the second round ( if you have forgotten it has been 9 years)

- and because we went into this thinking it was a done deal!

7. anitasri

anitasri Member

That should read 5 year 30 million rather than 3 year 30 million!

8. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

If MJ doesn't work out, is there any chance of getting Nick Van Excel for cheap? He is good 3 pt shooter, clutch...

9. eSwoosh

eSwoosh Member

Is he a free agent or still under contract with San Antonio? He could be decent, but he's on the wrong side of 30.

10. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

I think he is free agent. Yes he is old and probably slow too. but no one is talking about a 5 year 30 million deal here...

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree, if it takes 5 year 30 mil so be it. He is solidly the best FA option right now available through an MLE in terms of positioning the team for championship runs now. We are trying to gun for a title next year, and the next few, Mike James fits in this equation squarely,--no sense in deviating from this path once we did the Battier trade or worring about a mid range salary we will owe 5 years from now.

Only one destination offers no state income tax, a potential championship and a clear important role for Mike James, that is Houston. (Houston is also his home town.) Dallas can't offer a clear role to James without potentially disrupting the core back-court that carried them to the brink of an NBA title, seeing as they have Terry (who James is an older poor mans version of), Harris, and Stackhouse. But I can see Dallas being very motivated to keep James from us and not worrying about a 5th contract year. Minn can offer a clear role in terms of starting and lots of shots, but they do have state income tax and don't have as good as championship outlook as the Rockets, let alone the Mavs.

Having said all this if Minny or Dallas is willing to offer the extra year (extra 6+ mil if it is year 5 of an MLE) and we are not we could easily lose James. Personally if we have caught wind either team is doing the max MLE at worst we should do a 5 year MLE with say no raises after the 1st year or two to keep VERY close to the same ballpark (like 5 years say 28 mil tot).

NVE was completely useless for the Spurs this playoffs. Barring a series of tragic injuries to our PGs we should not consider him. Right now I'd rather pay JL3rd or so other near rook free agent the vet min than NVE's vet min (which is like double salary) as an emergency PG.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I like this guy... Anthony Parker Euroleague MVP

Won the 2000-01, 2001-02, 2003-04, 2004-05 and 2005-06 Israeli National Championship with Maccabi Tel Aviv…won the 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2006 Israeli National Cup with Maccabi Tel Aviv…won the 2001 Suproleague with Maccabi Tel Aviv… won the 2004 and 2005 Euroleague with Maccabi Tel Aviv…named the 2004 Euroleague Final Four MVP…named to the 2004-05 and 2005-06 All-Euroleague 1st Team…named the 2004-05 and 2005-06 Euroleague MVP...named the 2003-04 Israeli League MVP…played the 2001 Israeli All Star Game…named the 1995-96 MVC Conference MVP…has been member of the Under-22 US National Team.

Here's another link from Draftexpress... Anthony Parker Euro Sensation

They Describe him as the best player in the world outside the NBA. THink of a polished Brandon Roy. That sounds like a little over hype but he's worth taking a look at.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Word is Toronto has the inside track on him.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Old Man, let's steal this guy! Great find. Can you imagine the possibilities with Parker coming off the bench? Definitely worth a nice chunk of the MLE, if James signs using the TE.

15. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

If Mike James goes the Dallas route....

do we have any kind of contingency plan? Is it going to be that huge of a disappointment?

16. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

If Mike James goes to Dallas we are screwed.

a) There are no good FAs left on the market. Bonzi Wells won't sign for the MLE.
    b) We have no tradeable assets on our roster.
    c) Dallas will be vastly improved after making the finals last year, so you can pretty much put them back in the finals for the next few years.

So to sum it up...

Van Gundy and CD better be over at Mike's house this morning serving him some breakfast in bed.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm 100% sure CD has a contingency plan, it's just probably not that great of one.

As for being a disappointment, YES it would be huge disappointment for me. With the win-now attitude that has been the theme of the offseason so far, Mike James is probably best player available to us to make that happen.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

the whole "win now" attitude (which I have no problem with) is gonna totally backfire if we can't get a legit third scorer. SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!1

19. eSwoosh

eSwoosh Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2515905

ESPN Report, it looks like Mike James is leaning toward Dallas...

"These three teams want to win," James said. "Kevin Garnett tells me he doesn't want the playoffs, he wants to win the championship. Houston wants to get back to that point, and they've already got two superstars.

"Dallas was two games away," James continued, noting that the Mavs are closest to meeting the first prerequisite. "That's a very important factor for me."

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

If MJ doesn't sign, then I'm REALLY going to hate the Battier trade. Since the Rockets have no tradeable asset(other than Gay whom they're trading), over the cap, and has almost nothing after Yao/T-Mac/Battier, it's very hard for them to raise their overall talent to match the top teams in the west in the near future.

My opinion is that we need at least 5 solid role players to surround our 2 superstars. Battier is one. Alston may be the second. Which means, should James doesn't sign and there's no good alternative, the Rockets need to hit on three players in future offseasons to be contenders. With a MLE and a low draft pick to work with per season, I'm pretty pessimistic here. That's what makes the Gay trade so frustrating. Because if he turns out decent, he can at least be equal to Battier in terms of impact. And if he turns into legit star, then our weakness of depth can be covered up by having 3 top-tier players.