1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be Plan B (if Mike James will not sign with Rockets).

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sherry02, Jul 7, 2006.

1. anitasri

anitasri Member

I still dont understand why we are dragging this out- if we want Mike James offer the Damn 5 years and be done with it. Anyway Juwan's contract will be gone by that time- and anyway if we dont get close to the title it will not really matter.

This glorious nitpicking on contracts is just plain stupid- especially when we dont have a legitimate Plan B.

I get a feeling Jerry West is advising Mike James for free!

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Why is James meeting with the teams? Isn't it ususally just the agents who do this? Is this more of his ego?

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The thread starter said it isn't looking good for the Rockets - why? I saw absolutely nothing in that article to indicate that it isn't looking good for the Rockets except - GASP - Mike James is actually talking to the two other teams every other article has him talking to. Big deal. They can't offer anymore money than we can and he has a house and a pregnant wife in Houston. I really can't believe Minnesota is in contention. They're farther away from contention than either the Mavericks or the Rockets, they're farther away from his off-season home and good luck talking a pregnant Mrs. James into moving to cold ass Minnesota for the same money he'd be making to stay home.

It's definitely Houston or Dallas, and Houston is more convenient and he'd have a more prominent role here. In Dallas he might very well be coming off the bench.

#23 Williamson, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  4. Williamson

Thank god you're not our GM. By all reports, the three teams chasing him are all offering the same contract. If all things are equal and he's from Houston, why the hell should we offer the longer contract? Have a little patience.

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Remember when we were screwed if we didn't sign Fisher or Barry?

6. f33lsogood

f33lsogood Member

I like that Marcus Banks plan B. He's not as good as mike james but he brings something to the table plus he would be alot cheaper. What do you all think of Qyntel Woods? He's a big 2/3, though he may have had character issues in the passed, he stayed pretty clean last year and solid season as a bench player.

7. Williamson

Marcus Banks is asking for the full MLE. How do you feel about that plan now that you know it may cost us as much as Mike James would?

8. f33lsogood

f33lsogood Member

I didn't know he is asking for that. Then Banks is not worth the full MLE. He hasn't proven anything and he's asking that. what a joker.

9. anitasri

anitasri Member

You have to make a choice- if you want him then be done with it. There is nothing special in Houston for James- as far as money goes Minnesotta and Dallas have more options than we have ( either pieces for S& T or just a owner who is willing to spend in the case of Dallas).

How does it really matter what will happen in years 4 and 5 of the contract- If Rockets dont get to the Title in the next 2 years anyway a lot of the faces you see now are going to be toast- so where exactly is my logic wrong?

I am not saying we trow 5 years when others are offering 3- but it is definitley looking like it will be more than 3 years- so why not end the damn misery. Patience you say- my friend I have been patient for a very long time to see a once elite team wander aimlessly into the post season.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, this doesn't make any sense.

He makes his home here. His family is here. He know our system and the players, as well as the coach. He was happy playing here, and unhappy about being traded.

See above, and by all reports, both of the other clubs are offering the MLE. And Cuban isn't going to further into luxury tax land to sign Mike James.

Contracts matter. Their length matters. Thank god you aren't our GM. And for future reference, look up Maloney, Matt. You talk as if a title is something we have to get this coming season, or the following one. Using your logic, the Rockets should have traded Hakeem. After all, it took 8 years for the Rockets to get back to the Finals. Heaven forbid that the fans have the least bit of patience. Why on earth did we keep him around?

Jeez.

11. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Apparently, you missed the memo about James having a house and a pregnant wife in Houston. I'd call that "special".

If we sign James, I guaran-freaking-tee that you'll be back on the board in Year 4 or 5 of James' contract complaining about how James is an albatross of a contract (at age 36). If the Rockets can avoid that nightmare scenario NOW, why wouldn't they? Have some patience, dude. When you get desperate, you end up doing desperate things, like bidding against yourself, a la Tom Hicks signing A-Rod to a ridiculous contract. I know we're in "win now" mode, but you have to at least THINK about the future every once and while.

EDIT: Damn it, Deckard. You beat me to the punch. I'm gonna go get my posse of replicants to whup you one...

12. anitasri

anitasri Member

If you want a debate- let us talk facts.
    Are you telling me that because he makes a home and his wife is pregnant ( Not sure what the heck is the logic)- that he will stay with Houston? What are you smoking?

You can mark this down- in 2 years if we dont win a Championship or come close to it, This team will ripped apart. So let us for arguments sake assume that we do give him a 5 year deal? How does that jeopardize our future? If we dont find answers in 2 years Tmac is toast- and without Tmac you can just forget about Mike James and whatever he can or will not do.You guys are talking as if you could not trade him after 2 years .

I for one was never a big fan of Rudy's exuberance with Contracts or choice of players. So what about Matt Maloney? and how does that compare to what I am suggesting for Mike James?

You are basically assuming that all 3 teams Houston, Dallas, minnesotta will offer the 3 year MLE- hence Mike would prefer Houston? So tell me why he is talking to Dallas or Minnesotta ( where even the owner is doing the talking!!).
    I dont know if 3 years is enough- but neither do you! I am going by what Mike James is apparently doing. The only reason for him to talk to Dallas or Minnesotta or vice-versa is if they are going to do better than the 3 Year MLE! Who knows, he may take the 3 year MLE and move to Dallas- just to get back!

If you want argue on facts bring it on. My point is if we really want the man let us not lose out, on the length of the contract.

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

Based on Minnesota’s track record of handing out full MLE contracts to point guards(Jaric, Hudson), I’m guessing they’re probably going to end up offering James a 5 year contract for as much money as they can. In which case, the Rockets should immediately go them and offer to let them have James if they work out a sign-and-trade of Banks for the trade exception.

The only possible explanation for Minnesota even being in discussions for James is their willingness to give more years. I don’t think the Rockets (or Mavs) are desperate enough to give him more than 3 or 4 years. If they were, James would have already signed.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with offering James 4 years, although I'd want the 4th year to be our option, not his, with who having the option not being a deal-breaker. Offering him 5 years would be ludicrous. I'd rather pass.

15. anitasri

anitasri Member

Let us not even talk about Tom Hicks and Les Alexander! A ROd and Mike James- what a cogent comparision?

And when did is say you wait till he is 36- if we dont make it past second round this year trade him- who is going to wait for 5 more years?

16. anitasri

anitasri Member

Basically what you are suggesting is a 3 year MLE- having a Team option is just a vanity factor- and you are telling me somehow he is buying into that?

Trade him after 2 years! We have bigger problems than Mike James's contract if we dont get to a Championship game soon.

17. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Can you buy Plan B over-the-counter now, or do you still need a prescription?

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

plan B: crucify the rocket management.

19. rserina

rserina Member

So here's my question: What would the Rockets' management GAIN from nto making moves? Do you honestly believe they are sticking with the team assembled, plus Mike James? Given that we have a small TE plus either the MLE or a large TE based upon what happens with James, there aren't a ton of moves we can make because of cap space. Plus, we only have 10 guys under contract, with about five FAs from our team waiting to be resigned.

I highly doubt we get rid of Bowen (he's pretty cheap and nobody wants him), while Howard covnersely is pretty expensive and nobody wants him. Those two will be on the roster unless someone like Boston or Washington finds themselves in tremendous need of a starting four, which would enable us to deal Juwan.

We have already made one move, James will take up either the MLE or the large TE, then we will see the direction our staff wants to move by what they do with the other side of the MLE/TE. If it's a long wing, expect Howard to be here and Battier to play plenty of three. If it's another one like Banks, expect Alston to be moved for a longer two or combo 4/5. If it's a combo four/five, expect McGrady to play mostly the two with Head, Bogans, and Wesley or Frahm behind him.

20. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Does anyone know how whipped... er, I mean, "family oriented" Mike James is?

Just wondering if Mrs. James will help Rockets out and keep him in Houston.