1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be Plan B (if Mike James will not sign with Rockets).

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sherry02, Jul 7, 2006.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Plan B: develop Rudy Gay

oops

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Did you even read my post? No, a team option isn't a "vanity factor," it's a team option.

You seem to think building a team is like playing a board game with your sister. If the game isn't playing out like you want, you just kick the board aside and watch the pieces fly. It doesn't work like that. And your assumption about the "window," the Rockets have is nothing more than that... your assumption. That's being kind.

3. anitasri

anitasri Member

I tried to be polite- if you want to argue facts stick to what is being discussed. What good is a Team option to a guy who is looking for the max money ( and perhaps his last big NBA Deal)- most likely a 6-7 Million Team option when you are 35 + will be declined, so the fact my friend, are not that difficult to understand- atleast for most people with some sense of numbers.

You are telling me Tmac's back is going to get better? Dream on.
    Sure Pigs do fly - I guess!

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Go ahead. Please. I'm beggin' ya!

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Trade for Earl Watson.

6. spankz141

spankz141 Member

7. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Bring over Vspan.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Do the Wolves have Bird Rights to Banks?

9. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

I know yall heard what T-mac said about mike yesterday on the news at 9

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

What did he say?

11. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

T-mac just said he hopes really hopes the rockets can pull this one off. He said that it showed last year how much we really miss Mike on the court
    and that he has been talking to mike every week. Dats about it, then rafer alston complimented mike james on a few things and said that it would be great if the rockets could pick him up.

12. The Hungarian Rocket

"Minnesota is definitely one of my top (choices)," James said.

It doesn't mean anything. The other two top choices are the Rox & Mavs. :rolleyes:

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Andy Pettitte chose Houston because of his wife. Why not Mike James, especially if the money being offered is equal? Plus, he's familiar with the team and the coach.

You assume that James in the future can be traded at the drop of a dime. Players with big contracts are very hard to trade, especially role players. Besides, what if James has negative trade value after one year? How about in 2 years? Because, surely, we've NEVER had that happen to us before, right? Then what? We are forced to compensate other teams in order to relieve ourselves of our mistakes? What about the Glen Rice trade? The Rudy Gay trade? Why not avoid this possible headache upfront by signing a player to a reasonable contract?

He's driving the price of his services up, playing one team against the other. Classic negotiation strategy.

14. anitasri

anitasri Member

Mike James at MLE is a decent Bargain- Just check what Jason Terrry got paid. I know it is Dallas- but still he is definitely a bargain at the MLE.

A Ton of NBA Players make Houston their Home - that does not mean people make career decision based on pregnant wifes- for heaven's sake this is going to be his last big deal. And you would really naive to think that "all the Money being offered is Equal"- You will not have the owner of the Wolves and Maverickls talking to Mike James if they are not going to make a better offer. Get it?

Ok you are suggesting a 4 year deal- I am saying go give him a 5 year deal and trade him after 2 if we dont have a ring to show? Tell me exactly how this will gut the Team- No one is dumb to offer him a 5 year deal when 4 will do, but my point was let us not nitpick on 1 year if we think he can really help.

For him to drive up his "price" as you suggest- there should be someone to pay him? and if that someone is not the Rockets- your whole posting is a waste of bandwidth as you adamantly believe that no one is offering him more than 3 years MLE.

And How does this have anything to do with Andy Petite? Not only is it not relevant but it is just silly to make these stupid comparisions on personal choices.

15. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

The Mavs, T-Pups, and Rockets have the same exact money to spend, the MLE, and I fully expect the entire MLE to be spent on James. So it's down to years now. That's the only issue left, money-wise. So yes, "all the money being offered is equal". As for having animated discussions with other teams, we've been through this already. James is using the other teams to drive up his price, plain and simple. As for the other side, if I were Mark Cuban (or even McHale), and I couldn't reach a deal with James, I'd at least try to get the rival Rockets to make the largest offer possible for the most years, thereby handcuffing the team in the future. That's just business.

Heard of bluffing? Why can't his agent create the illusion that other teams are willing to pay more? Because surely that's never happened before, either.

Can you honestly sit there and tell me that money is the ONLY thing James is basing his decision on? Remember: he's not some immature 22-year old with time to spare. James is on the wrong side of 30 now, and his wife is pregnant. He's got a family to think about. Is it wrong to think that maybe... just maybe... raising child > a little more money?

Stop right there. You just made my argument. Thank you and goodbye.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why do I have to make a choice? Why do the Rockets have to make a choice? If the contracts being offered are equal (and by all reports they are) then the choice is for Mike James. He can go freeze his ass off on a terrible team in Minnesota and quite possibly see Garnett traded before the deadline, he can go to Dallas and get really comfortable on their bench, or he can stay home in Houston - where his pregnant wife will be most comfortable, where he has an organization, team and coach he's familiar with and an environment he enjoys. That is an easy choice.

That's purely speculation. What if Yao Ming continues to get better and better and in two or three years he's just reaching his peak? What if Tracy McGrady DOESN'T decline? You can speculate on the likelyhood of those events, but in the end all you're doing is speculating. If EITHER of those things happen, we will not want to be saddled with undesirable contracts in two years. Notice I said either, not both. With the right moves, we can still be contenders if either of those possibilities pans out - and in my opinion, it's likely Yao Ming is just going to be reaching his peak in two or three years.

Yes, you are actually. ALL reports are saying that the offers on the table are 3 year MLE deals. There have been NO other reports that have indicated otherwise. There has been talk of sign and trade scenarios, but none of it has sounded all too serious. I challenge you to find one report that so much as speculates that a team has offered Mike James more than a three year MLE deal.

I'd love to talk facts.

FACT: Mike James has been saying for months now that he would love to play for Houston again.
    FACT: Mike James lives in Houston in the off-season.
    FACT: Mike James has stated that what his wife wants is the most important thing to him.
    FACT: There have been absolutely no reports of any offers larger than a 3 year MLE contract.
    FACT: No matter how much money Cuban has, he cannot offer James anymore money than we can and his sign and trade offer of Marquis Daniels was refused.
    FACT: Minnesota is a terrible organization nowhere near on par with either Dallas or Houston. Minnesota is far away from his home here in Houston.
    (Minnesota isn't even a place I could talk my wife into visiting in the winter (much less moving to). Who in their right mind would take the same money they can make in their hometown to go to Minnesota? Especially considering Kevin Garnett is reportedly disgruntled and rumors abound that he could be gone before the trade deadline? I know you'll say they're going to offer a longer contract, but that isn't a fact. It's pure speculation at this point.)
    FACT: The Rockets have offered Mike James the same deal that the Mavericks and Minnesota have reportedly offered AND are reportedly exploring sign and trade options with the Raptors.

Deckard responded to you with the following facts:

And now that we've discussed facts, let's discuss some speculation. (i.e. your rebuttal)

So you say "Let's talk facts!" then you throw this stuff at us?

No, we aren't assuming anything. We are basing our statements off of what has been reported in various media sources all week (which is all we can possibly do without just throwing out our own half-assed opinions - clearly your preferred method ). YOU are assuming those reports are false and that he has received a bigger offer from Dallas or Minnesota. You could be right, but once again you're speculating, NOT discussing facts. As for telling you why he's talking to Minnesota and Dallas, I'd be glad to give you my opinions but they'd be just that - opinions - and it was you who suggested we stick to the facts.

Oh my lord! What's this? *Gasp* Why, it's more speculation! But it gets better! What do you follow up that speculation with?

Beautiful. Seriously, am I the only one that thinks this is hilarious? It's not just that you (antisari) are completely full of crap, it's that you don't even seem to realize it. You're using the word 'fact' in place of the words "my opinion", which is clearly the only thing you're interested in discussing.

What's next?

Let's see, you bring up the F word again, then you speculate that Mike James team option wouldn't be renewed. Then you speculate that Deckard is your friend. I get the feeling he isn't. :D You speculate that what you're saying is easy to understand for most people with some sense of numbers. And, finally, you speculate that Tracy McGrady's back will not get better. Once again, you prove that the facts just happen to be your opinion. That must be amazing for you.

Vesceysux then gives you what I'd call some very reasonable counter-arguments, but that's just my opinion so I suppose we should stay away from that.

You then respond:

Or we'd be basing our opinions off of the sources we have at our disposal rather than just wildly speculating and trying to pass it off as fact. Incidentally, nobody is suggesting he's going to shun more money just because he has a house in Houston or his wife is pregnant. We're suggesting that since the Rockets seem to be offering the same thing the other teams are offering AND are investigating other options, that all things are equal and that is going to mean he will choose to stay here.

Really? No one is dumb enough to offer him that? I thought that the Rockets should just -
    Incidentally, you were also speculating that in two years, at age 33, Mike James with three year MLE contract would be easily traded to another team. It might be, who knows! That would be pure speculation! But interestingly enough the Rockets actually have a 32 year old solid veteran player with three years at the MLE remaining right now! Juwan Howard! It's obviously really easy to get good value in return for him and his contract too.

He stated that he felt that was Mike James INTENTION, not that it would be the end result. Nice try though. I like your use of the word adamant.

Of course it's irrelevant! It has absolutely nothing to do with your opinion!

I expect you'll respond to this, but I don't think I'll bother responding again. It's clear that we can't expect you to be reasonable or discuss things objectively. There is only one way to see things in your world, your way. The facts are just in the way.

#56 Williamson, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  17. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Mike James loves the nightlife of Houston. LOVES it.
    I don't think you guys know how bad he wants to be back here.

18. anitasri

anitasri Member

So much for Facts- that you dont even want to hear the rebuttal. There is something seriously flawed when you make a simplistic assumption that

1. All offers Mike James has are the SAME? How do you know that?
    2. Mike James said a lot of things- but what are the facts today?
    3. Like I said tons of NBA stars live in Houston , have wife's/girlfriends who get pregnant- so what?

Posting a long thread so and quoting 3 other folks does not make your "facts" credible. Not by a long shot!

19. TigerWings

TigerWings Member

Man, it's all about business. It is just a money game.

20. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

anitasri, what is it with your penchant for believing the worst? First you claim pigs will fly before T-Mac's back gets better (even though the doctors are saying his back *IS* better), now you're on the brink of waging all out war with anyone who dares suggest that Mike James is most likely to end up in Houston.

Take it easy man. Life isn't as cruel as you think.