1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be Plan B (if Mike James will not sign with Rockets).

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sherry02, Jul 7, 2006.

1. sherry02

sherry02 Contributing Member

It is not looking good for the Rockets:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/colum...marc&id=2511802

There was action in the stands as well as on the floor at UNLV's Cox Pavilion, where Toronto's Mike James -- one of the top three unrestricted free agents left on the market along with Al Harrington and Bonzi Wells -- was conducting face-to-face negotiations with the three teams chasing him: Houston, Dallas and Minnesota.

After a meeting with Rockets officials, James could be seen in a far corner of the gym, engaged in an animated discussion with Mavericks owner (and fellow Pittsburgh native) Mark Cuban.

"We're a lot alike," Cuban said with a smile, declining to reveal any more about the conversation.

James eventually made his way to the opposite baseline for a meeting to set up dinner with Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale.

"That's really the three right now," James said of the Rockets, Mavs and Wolves. "Those are the three teams that have shown the most interest in me. But everything, it's basically just talk right now."

James, 31, is seeking a five-year deal after a breakout season for the Raptors in which he averaged 20.3 points and 5.8 assists. The Mavs and Rockets are offering three-year deals starting at the $5 million mid-level exception. Minnesota, which also has its exception available, has been trying to land James via sign-and-trade but the Wolves, according to NBA front-office sources, haven't been able to tempt the Raptors with a package featuring swingman Trenton Hassell.

The Rockets, meanwhile, are trying to bring James back to Houston after dealing him to the Raptors for Rafer Alston last October on the first day of training camp.

Asked if he feels redeemed by Houston's interest now, which included Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy on the doorstep of his Houston home at the first permissible minute of free agency, James said: "I understand people have to make business decisions. [But] I think they realize now that you really don't know what you have sometimes until it's gone. I think the Rockets have a better understanding of me as a person, and I think Jeff has a better understanding of me as a player and a person."

James is staying in Las Vegas through the weekend to continue talks with his suitors and insists that none of the three teams has emerged as a favorite. But he admits that he's getting antsy.

"I'm just ready to get this over with and get with my new team," he said.

Couple other observations:
    - Mike James scheduled meeting with Dallas last...
    - If Houston, Minnesota and Dallas could offer just mid-level exception and Mike wants to play in Houston(?) - what are the reasons for other meetings

So, if this will not happaned - what is the plan B?

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

plan B is Marcus Banks, followed by plan C, Fred Jones...followed again by Jared Jeffries, D.

3. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

As smoothie said, Plan B is Marcus Banks. Yeah, I know, underwhelming. We better sign James.

Plan C is to kidnap Steve Nash, forcibly remove his brain, and put it in Rafer's head. Then Les will pony up $6 million to "rebuild" Bob Sura (because, after all, "we have the technology"). Finally, the Rocks will sign JLIII to be our 3rd string PG.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Plan B will be brought to you by the word "tank". As Marsellus Wallace would say, "The night of the game, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride ****ing with you. **** pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps. Lose those games for the pingpong balls."

6. rserina

rserina Member

I highly doubt James goes to Dallas considering the scarcity of playing time, while Houston is his wife's choice. But assuming he did go elsewhere, I think Banks can be had via sign-and-trade rather easily, still leaving our MLE for a four or a two.

I don't get the Fred Jones thing. Head was as productive as a rookie as Jones has been in all four years as a pro. I don't think Washington lets Jeffries go for the MLE, but he would be a good get if--and only if--we think he can give minutes at the five in an uptempo game. Otherwise, we need to deal Howard so the kid can get enough minutes at the four to justify his acquisition.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

James isn't going to Dallas.

8. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Plan B is we're screwed

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

pretty much. :cool:

10. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Jared Jeffries who apparently has reached an "impass while negotiating with Washington" as I heard on the drive into work this morning.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Looking for the unsavory rewards of Plan B (tanking the season):

1. JVG is history.
    2. Rockets get a lottery pick in a strong draft.
    3. Ticket prices go waaaaay down -- scalpers starve on the sidewalks.
    4. Board has endless debate on who to draft and what trades to make.

There, does that make it all better? :)

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Plan B is we trade Shane Battier to Memphis for Rudy Gay...... :p
    Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Then we trade the pick for Earl Boykins since he is a hard working vet with good character.

14. anitasri

anitasri Member

A very good point. We have NO viable PLan B. So much for being conservative on the money front!

Cuban will add a few million just to make us feel miserable one more time!

15. kingkow

kingkow Member

it still hurts me alot when i see those little ads with pics of rudy gay after first posts

clutch u need to remove them before somebody bangs their head on the monitor

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree. James is doing what a good agent would tell him to do, squeeze the team he wants to go to for all he can get out of them. What better way than to be in a public setting, in Vegas, with the representatives of the interested teams there in plain view, having an animated conversation with Mark Cuban?

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If James goes to Dallas then we can forget the WIN NOW idea!!!!
    But even if we can get James we still need several more players such as
    Jefferies,Cato and Pacers Jackson.
    We also must get rid of Howard and Bowan!!!!!! :p
    Don't think of last season's top teams. many teams are going to have improved rosters and we need a bunch of talent if we are going to make a challenge this upcoming season.DONT LET THE ROCKET'S MANAGEMENT SIT ON THEIR REAR ENDS!

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

That is the main reason I'm very antsy about Mike James signing with Houston. Cuban is very capable of going right over the top of the Rockets at the last minute and offer James a 4 or 5 year max MLE contract, if he feels that James is the missing piece to getting him a championship. This would not surprise me in the least. Cuban has much deeper pockets than Les does.

19. anitasri

anitasri Member

Now I hear that Mike James is saying Timberwolves are his top Choice :mad: :mad:

Is this guys stable or is it payback for what was done to him when we shipped him to Toronto! Payback sure is a by*** tch

20. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

He also knows that's where he would average the most points!! :mad: :mad: