1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What will it realistically take for the Rockets to rid themselves of Anderson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LorneMalvo, Jan 1, 2018.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It's not about setting a bar. This is not a vacuum.

Ryan is useful in some situations, not in others.

Since we are operating over the cap, reducing his salary provides little to no benefit, especially mid season. As such, Using resources to get rid of Ryan is not a logical move since it provides no benefit.

When the time arises when moving Anderson makes sense, ala in free agency, it should be explored then.

When you think about basketball decisions without emotion, it really highlights how silly threads like these are.

baller4life315, DreamShook and 92i like this.
  2. rocketsmetalspd

Waive him is the only option. No wants him in a trade situation.

3. rocketsmetalspd

Waive him is the only option. No wants him in a trade situation.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

What does that actually accomplish? Does not free up cap, though overpaid he's still more useful than roster space right now.

D-rock and Pen15clubber like this.
  5. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Anderson is bad but can we run some plays for him? We have nothing in our playbooks other than Harden/Capela pick and roll or Harden ISO. Our offence could be the most predictable in the NBA.

lw17 likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes not bad its just a shooting slump of several games...every elite shooter goes thru dat sometimes...last year both steph and klay went through much worse slump...

anderson was crucial to our historically best offense before injuries hit...

D-rock likes this.
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

D'antoni ran a play for him out of a timeout to get him open at the top of the key and he bricked it badly, it didn't even hit the rim...

ryano2009 and amaru like this.
  8. deb4rockets5

deb4rockets5 Member

He has a better 3 pt ave than Gordon, even if he is in a slump.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

before the deadline, I agree. But they will absolutely HAVE to unload him in the off season if we're going to make any moves.

10. amaru

amaru Member

Ryan’s usefulness is overshadowed by his sheer cap value. If his salary was removed, I suspect we wouldn’t be operating over the cap but I’m no capologist.

Moving him mid season won’t happen because nobody wants that toxic contract. It’s definitely not the worst in the league but it’s very bad in its own right.

We spent all off season trying to move Anderson. The problem is nobody wants to pay all that for a set shooter so we are essentially in a spot where making necessary upgrades will be difficult without moving key pieces.

Removing the emotion shows us that we really limited our flexibility by putting this much money into a one dimensional player. Granted we thought the cap would continue to be ridiculously high but that didn’t happen. And now we are stuck wth an immovable contract for a player who doesn’t do enough to get us over the hump.

11. amaru

amaru Member

The problem is nobody wants him at that price tag.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not arguing that. The price tag will definitely be hefty. I agree it'll take at least two first rounders. I'm a huge Morey fan but there is no denying that the Anderson contract is one of his worst moves ever.

amaru likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Gordon is capable of providing production on offense and defense if his 3 ball is not falling.

lw17 and Pen15clubber like this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

All of that is irrelevant to this topic.

15. amaru

amaru Member

Definitely his worst move to date.

16. amaru

amaru Member

No it’s not. Everything I said will relate to his trade value for the rest of this season, next offseason and the following season. His contract won’t become valuable until it’s an expiring. All of this will influence how hard it is to trade him.

malakas likes this.
  17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Like what?

Driving? Not against any of the Warriors perimeter guys but Curry, not against Danny Green either for the Spurs, and not against Paul George or Roberson.

And honestly, those are the only teams that count.

Truth is, he doesn't need to. Just his sheer presence draws attention and he doesn't hesitate to shoot(cough Ryno cough) which alone demands respect. If Ryno let it fly EG style and shot 12ish a game, he'd be way more of a "threat".

No sane defense leaves them open, even if they missed 6 in a row. No idea when they heat up.

My big problem with Ryno is he passes up too many open shots, that and his contract of course.

SIL

lw17 likes this.
  18. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

There have to be expiring deals that have better players than Anderson.

More than being physically limited against the good athletic teams like OKC and GS, Anderson is seriously a headcase. His Home splits prove it, and so does this bizarre bad stretch where he has fallen off a cliff for no apparent reason. It shows, even against favorable matchups, he can't be relied upon.

Expiring deals on just solid players for Anderson and picks before the deadline would be worth it.

19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

You unwind when something better is aligned, not just randomly at the deadline. Think about continuity some.

SIL

LorneMalvo likes this.
  20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

10 GOLD DIAMOND Earings fool, and 3 pieces of paper.. geez