1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Vox] [wuhan] many believe conspiracy theory about a lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.vox.com/covid-19-corona...y-coronavirus-origins-conspiracy-theory-media

While scientists are still researching the virus’s origins, at the moment, experts believe that Covid-19 likely came to humans from bats through an unknown intermediate animal. But a recent Pew study found nearly 30 percent of Americans believe something else — namely, the conspiracy theory that Covid-19 was created by humans in a laboratory. And nearly a quarter of those surveyed believed humans created Covid-19 intentionally.

Personally I am not sure we will ever know.

body slam and tinman like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sounds about right for America.

That made accidentally should be released accidentally - good job pew.

3. Buck Turgidson

You're actually using the "many believe" and justifying it with 30% on a Pew Poll?

And this deserves a ****ing thread, why? Personally, I'm not going to tell you what I want to say to you.

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Many is subjective. And this is not the worst thread posted this week. Top 10 worst, maybe. But i have a feeling it will spark some conversation.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Someone cooked up this unholy stew because Trump thought it would taste better to us than his s***.

FranchiseBlade and Newlin like this.
  6. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Fox just reported yesterday that many officials believe that the virus was laboratory made. It listed no names but it spread like wildfire online. Basically doing the exact same thing that China has been doing to their people about US soliders bringing the virus to Wuhan. Very weird times we are living in. I still say dont trust China. China is *******.

7. Buck Turgidson

"Many is subjective"

No kidding. Or at least that's what many people say...

VooDooPope, FranchiseBlade and adoo like this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

nm :D

#8 B-Bob, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
  9. PeppermintCandy

Suddenly this week, you have many coservative talking heads ramping up their talk about China and the coronavirus. Republican senators and members in the Trump administration are also going on air accusing China of foul play. Their goal seems to be to flood the media waves and help Trump drown out a lot of the criticism directed at him.

So far, though, there is no concrete evidence that China somehow created this virus. It hasn't stopped the talking heads and the politicians, and unfortunately the media is playing along and giving them airplay.

I'm constantly saddened by how so many people in the U.S. are vulnerable to these conspiracy theories. They don't just follow them but really take these theories to heart, making them easy to manipulate.

Jayzers_100 and B-Bob like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why didn't just say: "Trump Supporters believe anything that helps Trump, hurts China, and things that have no basis in fact".

All that needs to be said.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We may never know if we really put a man on the moon either.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Hunter Biden somehow must be connected to this lab. The Bidens are responsible for Covid-19. Many people will believe it.

14. Buck Turgidson

Bighazi!!!

vlaurelio and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. PeppermintCandy

She and many others are probably being exposed to these kinds of news stories every single day.
    And when "respected" media figures and even politicians confirm your worst suspicions, these conspiracy theories probably stop sounding so far-fetched.

16. Buck Turgidson

Nah, it ain't that. She keeps facebook to keep in touch with the family...some parts of the family are batsh!t maga crazy, and I get to tell them how they're wrong every three months or so.

PeppermintCandy likes this.
  17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

30% hmm so the percentage of trump’s base? Odd coincidence lol. Jk (kinda, ill go easy). Idk yeah it’s strange how everyday Americans want to fit in with experts or have a hot take. I truly don’t understand how people make the leap from “hey this is an interesting conspiracy theory” to “oh yeah I definitely believe this to be true”. With no evidence. Merely hoping it’s true just because it’s a “fun” idea of somehow advances their team’s momentum. It goes hand in hand with evangelism I guess. Blind faith in something with no evidence. I guess it’s comforting to think one is an expert.

reminds me of the saying: “a fool thinks himself to be wise; but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.” Though I’m no longer in school, the further I delved into higher education the more I realized how little I know about many things. That’s fine. It’s beautiful to be confident enough to say “I don’t know.” It’s liberating because it means there’s more knowledge to seek out. It’s depressing to give up the pursuit of truth and draw half-assed conclusions imo. Shuts many doors of discovery

CometsWin, B-Bob and vlaurelio like this.
  18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol convo between truthers and labbers?

19. Buck Turgidson

Gotta ask: what's a "labber"?

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Haha just made it up

People who believe covid19 was man made in a lab

VooDooPope, B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.