1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Young to sign with Eagles

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jul 28, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://t.co/v7cj3IY

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

If he is sensitive about the fans booing him in Nashville, watch the **** out in Philly.

3. smokieethabear

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This. Dude better grow up quick, or hope he never gets of the bench.

5. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Do y'all have any idea how happy this makes me? I've been waiting SO LONG for him to not be on the Titans or cowgirls. And VY is signing with MY FAVORITE TEAM?

Andy Reid, you offensive genius, cook up at least ONE amazing trick okay that involves both Vick and VY at the same time.

Seriously, Philly is perfect for VY. Reid and Vick are EXACTLY what he needs.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

no it isn't. a starting job is what he needs. this will now be 3 years of his prime ripped away from him because jeff fisher is a stubborn prick.

here's hoping that vince is starting somehwere next season, like he deserves a chance to do.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There is good chance he starts 3 or 4 games.Maybe he will look good and pull a kolb. Maybe this is Ried's master plan get a QB, make him look good for a few games and then get a high pick for him.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

So the Eagles traded Kolb for a 2nd round pick and DRC, and then sign VY to replace Kolb as the backup QB?

That's not even fair.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

How long until Reid yells at him and he goes on another suicide watch?

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's funny, I'm in the exact opposite boat. Jumping off the Eagles bandwagon (adopted NFC team) for the first time since 1991. You can take my seat, it's still warm! :)

It's a good fit on paper (Reid is a great QB coach, Philly's offense plays to VY's strengths, Vick is an injury risk, etc.), but like others have said, if VY couldn't handle the pressure in Tennessee, then Philly is going to be a real challenge.

One other caveat; both Vick and Young's contracts will end next year. Vince will likely see playing time. You already know Vince won't want to be a backup beyond this year. I can already smell the controversy.

11. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

No doubt there will be some next year. He's a one-year-rental; I'm not gonna buy my VY jersey yet. But I think many, many people overrate VY's skill. He needs this to become a good QB. He really does.

My dad's from Philly. I've been rooting for the Eagles and Oilers since I was a kid. One of those teams doesn't exist anymore.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The Eagles are working on a multi-year deal now for Vick so this will probably end up being a non-issue. The real drama will come one of two ways:

1. If Vick ends up hurt and Young replaces him playing better than Vick did.

2. If Vick regresses and the fans start calling for Young.

I don't really see there being controversy beyond those two scenarios.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The trick is, how long do they wait before they give Vick his payday?

They can either try to squelch it now, or wait and see if Vick either A) can stay healthy or B) his stats end up coming back down to earth.

14. Lil Pun

They have to have a deal in place by September 20 otherwise he becomes a free agent at the end of the season and no long term deal can be signed until then so they 2-3 games to gauge that data. I think they'll get a deal done with him otherwise there was no point in trading Kolb away.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Are you sure that's the deadline for signing players to new deals?

That seems really early.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If he deserved a chance to start, he would have gotten it this year.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Right...that's why teams never change starting QB's in midseason.

18. Lil Pun

Under the new labor agreement, any player who was given the franchise tag after last season must have a contract in place by September 20 otherwise they will become a free agent at the end of this season.

So it doesn't affect all players, only those who had the franchise tag placed on them.

I think once free agency dies down, the Eagles will focus their attention on Vick and Jackson.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Good match for him and perfect backup for Vick. Young needs a good dose of humility and a willingness to be coached, not another starting job where he feels he's free to do whatever he wants.

20. SacTown

SacTown Member

Did you read the original post? It says no other team wants him as a starter. Fisher didn't want him to be a starter and neither does any other coach. That says something.