1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Young to sign with Eagles

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jul 28, 2011.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Winning games wasn't enough. High QB rating isn't enough. What does it take to make a QB good?

VY needs to grow up, but he has shown to be a capable player when on the field.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

As the stats show, in his first two years, the team won despite his awful play.

In the last two years, he played better, but only because CJ2K was tearing it up and allowed him to throw less (in addition to minor natural progression as a player).

Unfortunately for Vince, by the time CJ arrived on the scene to take pressure off of him, that stout defense from 06 & 07 was a shadow of its former self.

3. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

double post action.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he has not shown to be a capable player at all. Well, he has showed glimpses of course but nothing consistent.

I'm still amazed on how VY fans simply ignore his bad play and lack of growth as a player. Just amazing.

But, like i said, he's in great spot to learn from his mistakes and actually use his talent to the most of their ability. It's on him to man up and grow up.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not really that interesting insofar as you can spot the same trend with Peyton Manning, etc.

6. SamFisher

LOL, what does this mean then and how do you measure it?

Does he need to undergo a "purity" test with you?

I wonder how he could "purify" himself.

Perhaps there's a lotion or an ointment.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The key difference is, of course, that Peyton Manning can throw the ball over 20 times a game (he averages about 35 or so) without dipping into the sub-80 range. Ouch.

It's natural to expect the QB rating to go down once you surpass the average/reasonable number of attempts, but to nosedive like that? While still coming in at well under the league average (which is somewhere around 30) for pass attempts? Yikes.

8. juicystream

It's amazing how people continue to hate on him. Capable players win games, which is what VY has done repeatedly. Young became a better passer after his benching, but I actually think somewhat to his detriment, as he didn't get out and run as often, which is a huge part of his game. Has he taken his game to where Vick's was last season? No. Has he taken his game beyond what it was his rookie season? Yes.

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

it means, manage the game better, read the defense (pre and post snap), work to become a better passer, put in the extra hours of film study, become a team leader that unites the locker room, etc...you know...all the typical things a good quarterback does.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lotion or ointment for being an immature, selfish, entitled, lazy and emotionally weak person. That being said, Vick has managed to turn many of those negatives around in himself...maybe VY can do the same.

10. juicystream

In the games last year where he threw at least 20 passes:

28 attempts 90.3 Rating
    25 attempts 97.6 Rating
    21 attempts 123.7 Rating

And how about you go re-calculate those attempts per game to account for the games he barely played in, like 2009, where he barely played in 3 of those games.

#70 juicystream, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The San Diego game, despite it being a royal beatdown for the Titans, was one of VY's best games that year (esp since SD was such a good defense). I said that loss wasn't on VY at the time, but I sure did lol @ the Titans. The other two games were against some fairly weak defenses in Dallas and Denver. (both in the bottom third of the league)

But even taking those anomalies into account, the more VY has to throw in any given year, the worse he does overall.

Funniest part is, the Dallas and Denver games are some of the worst QB ratings he had all year. Thus reinforcing the point, that the less he throws, the better he is, and vice versa.

Bottom line; VY got too much credit for the Titans early success, and too much blame for the Titans later struggles. I think that set him up for failure, amongst other things.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

If it bugs you that much, I listed the total number of attempts as well. Which supports the point all the same.

13. SamFisher

Actually he couldn't in his first year, tossing up a 71 in his first year. Yet, somehow he managed to improve a lot the next year, despite throwing a lot fewer times per game.

This is a very unusual trend - maybe with your statistical resources, we can establish some sort of correlation between a QB's rating in his rookie/2nd year vs. his subsequent years.

I'm not betting on it though, it's probably a longshot.

I'll just leave you to crunch the numbers, and then you can get back to me. Should take you a few days.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'll have my secretary call your secretary, and then we can all go herp derp.

Peyton Passes Per Game:
    Rookie Year: 35
    2nd year: 33

That's a lot fewer times per game to you eh?

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

calling a spade a spade is not hate. I have and had nothing against Vince and in fact was one of those people who actually thought he would completely change the game. The difference from me and the others who felt the same is that I can admit i was wrong.

maybe a small bit, but not much.

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i don't know why VY fans feel so affronted by the criticism. it's like we insulted their mother. he's not the Michael Jordan of the NFL.

17. juicystream

I thought he would come in and be what he is. A guy that would never be extremely accurate, but could make plays when needed. His growth as a player was in cutting down the mistakes. VY was never going to be the hybrid of Peyton Manning and Michael Vick.

18. SamFisher

And obviously it made a big difference in his QB rating, 20 points or so.

Or was there some other factor involved in the improvement? :confused: Is that possible?

19. Major

Major Member

The problem with this analysis is two-fold:

1. Most QB's improve from rookie year to year 2 to year 3, etc. So Vince's progression by that measure actually makes sense.

2. If you look at individual game statistics per year, there's no correlation between throws in a game to his QB rating. So yes, he was throwing less overall. But he did no differently in the games he threw a lot vs the games he threw a little.

So which of the two options makes more sense?

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Vince Young forum anyone?