1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Young to sign with Eagles

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jul 28, 2011.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because people are determined that he sucks, which he does not. Then act like any supporters of him think he is the greatest player in the NFL, which he is not. His immaturity and injuries took their toll in Nashville. To me he is an average NFL QB.

2. Major

Major Member

Let's see. Vince has one of the best winning %'s over his first several years in the league. His team has done far better with him on the field than without. And his numbers have improved in each of his years in the league.

There is no actual evidence of him being a terrible player on the field. So how is calling him a terrible player "calling a spade a spade"? There are plenty of reasons to not trust him as a starting QB based on his off-the-field behavior and overall maturity, but people saying he's a terrible QB are just being silly. He's done nothing but improve and win when on the field.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i didn't call him a terrible player so their goes you point. He wasnt good at times and was inconsistent. He failed to truly improve as a QB and a team leader. He quit when things got tough. He was notorious for not putting in the extra time to study film or in practice.

Use the winning % all you want. He's a backup QB for a reason right now and he was benched for a reason as well. What's truly sad/amazing is that he was able to win games despite not using 1/2 of his talent. Those wins are more a testament to the team around him and the coaching than his play.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But why then did outside of the one season, did the other QBs not have any where near the same success, if it was all about the coaching and teammates? He is a backup QB because he can't stay healthy, and how immature he acted, not because of his play on the field.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If you want to criticize him for his bad play then go ahead and do that, but please stop saying stuff like this. Give the man the credit that he deserves. The Titans were a better team with him on the field and won more. It's silly for any Texans fan to say he wasn't good at times or that the wins were a testament to the rest of the team, when we watched him do things to impact beating us in our own building.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It seems by now that your argument against him is not really so much a statistical one but seemingly more of a moral one based on lack of "purity" and failure to "truly improve" despite ostensible improvement from meaningless stats, so readeth the "testament".

Truth and Purity. The shame of his waste. We should instruct children in this cautionary tale so they may become better persons.

7. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

because Kerry Collins isnt that good either and was at the end of his career.

Plenty of QBs have been injured and immature but still found starting jobs because their play on the field dictated it. For VY, it does not.

He has to earn a spot by playing better, being smarter, working harder and growing up.

8. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

beating a 8 year old r****ded girl is nothing to brag about.

Vince made plays when it counted at time, sure. He would scramble for a 6 yard gain on a 3rd and 5. ANd that's great. That's what he brings to the table. But he never expanded on that to a great deal.

See i gave him credit because i'm being objective here...now try yourself and talk about how he couldnt read a defense

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

my argument is clear and simple. He is a talented player who used talent to help win games despite his QB skills being subpar.

He deserves to be complimented in some cases and ridiculed in others.

When he was still playing he did catch a lot of overtly negative hate (mostly because of VY fans creating it themselves). But as his career has unfolded, there are more negatives to him right now than positive.

The problem is that most people that compliment him, compliment him way too much and then point to a silly qb rating as showing how good he was or his winning %...neither of which are the best way to evaluate the individual player.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EsPN9K85O6c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It doesn't matter that Collins wasn't that good. If it were just the team and coaching, and not him contributing somehow to those wins, then they should be no dropoff when he was replaced. The dude is not a great QB but he doesn't completely suck and he has contributed to wins....quite a few of them. If probably why Andy Reid is interested in taking a shot and if I trust his opinion on anything, it's on a QB.

13. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

As a UT fan and a hater of the Titans, I wish Vince well. Glad I can root for him again. However, he has a lot of maturing to do. Reid's a good influence - it might work.

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i didnt say it was "just" coaching nor did i say he didnt contribute at all...nor did i say he completely suck, which is why the eagles took a gamble on him. They took a gamble on a similar type of guy (i.e. great athlete with a ton of talent but never put it all to together).

It was a very good get by the eagles because 1) they aren't relying on him 2) he has someone who can mentor him (vick) 3) there is still potential.

I've never said that it was a bad signing by any means.

I wouldnt be surprised to see go out in the middle of the season and VY steps in to fill the void in the short run. The system is great for him in that they move the pocket around and it relies on short passing...not to mention he has some playmakers.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would have loved to see what VY couldda done thus far in his career with some competent recievers and a coach that wasnt a moron.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

poor donny

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

sup? :)

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

chillin, not going to go down the vince argument road, been there done that, hope he does well

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I wish him well, too. Especially now that he's in the NFC ;)

I think he'll do better in Philly than he did in Tennessee. It's a good spot for him, Reid is a great QB mentor and that offense plays to his strengths. I wonder how itching he is to start, and I also wonder how the media/fans will treat him.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

this. now that the debate is over on who the texans should've taken and he's not on tennessee anymore, i can go back to rooting for him.