1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US State Department Welcomes News that Saudi Arabia will Head UN Human Rights Council

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

https://theintercept.com/2015/09/23...a-chosen-head-u-n-human-rights-council-panel/

This article is a wonderful case study for people who constantly ask me why I aim my criticism at US policies rather than those in the Middle East. It's all one snake, but you aim for the head not the tail - and make no mistake, I'm fully aware that the snake is hurting and abusing Americans too. It's truly incredible how some people believe US policies can be so inhumane abroad but miraculously have an excellent respect for Americans at home.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

3. malakas

malakas Member

Making the wolf guard the sheep.

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Different article. That's a story about how horrific Saudi Arabia is. This is a story about how the US state department welcomes them as the head of the UN human rights council.

Your post is the story of how attacking me is more important than discussing a problem that's crippling your country.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

From 2009:

6. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO A problem that is crippling the United States?

If you want to criticize US foreign policy for supporting foreign regimes that commit atrocities, go ahead. However it isn't "crippling" the USA.

7. Nook

Nook Member

And.....

We can shut this thread down.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not necessarily agreeing with Mathloom or not...but are you saying that it's impossible for one to change their opinion over a 6 year period? It's possible that he's learned more and changed his mind about it. I don't see why bringing up such an old post is relevant.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

How can Saudi Arabia head the UN Human Rights Council when human rights in that country is a joke?

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This article may help explain it:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...bia-heading-the-u-n-human-rights-council.html

[rquoter]
    Given Saudi Arabia’s record, the rage is understandable—it would get to recommend experts who may not be experts, or whose understanding of human rights is at variance with the vast majority of those who care for human rights.

But the global fury is directed at the wrong target. Agnes Callamard, director of Columbia University’s Global Freedom of Expression and Information initiative (disclosure: I am part of its team of experts), told The Daily Beast: “What has happened is that Saudi Arabia is now a member of the advisory committee that produces recommendations to the president of the Human Rights Council who makes final decisions regarding the appointing of mandate holders. The composition of the advisory group is five representatives from all regions. It is a rotation within regions, so nobody appoints anybody. The real problem is that Saudi Arabia was appointed to the Human Rights Council and its being a member of the advisory committee is just a logical consequence. And the UN is not responsible for the appointment in any way.”

By all means the international community needs to take a long and hard look at how it elects members to the UNHRC. By all means that process needs serious reform. Indeed, countries with a poor human rights record should not be part of such a council. And, indeed, there should be clear criteria to determine whose record is worse than others’, and countries that are politically strong should not get a free pass, and countries that are convenient to dislike are not excluded. Those are far bigger issues, and far more significant concerns, than arguing whether Saudi Arabia should be the temporary chair of an advisory panel, whose recommendations would simply be that—recommendations.[/rquoter]

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't care. He does it because it brings him pleasure to hit his enemies hard. It's a bit anti-social behavior and I suspect he might have NPD.

So basically it's a meaningless post with no power?

Of course one might say that about the whole of the UN.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Looking at my post from back then...

Goodness gracious I was an optimistic little $hit.

Depressing how in the 7 years since, not much has changed in the kingdom.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's absolutely crippling the USA. You guys are in reverse mode in education, technology, social mobility, income, health. The GDP is growing but the humongous majority of people are staying the same or getting worse. WHERE IS THAT MONEY? This is Empire 101, I'll leave it to you to go back and study the patterns in history. What happens next is not pretty.

Americans should be waaaaaaaaaaay better off given the resources at the government and the peoples' disposal. This is horrendous. I feel like I'm in a third world country when I see your infrastructure, the ghettos, the mafia like business culture. The upside is a lot of your civil rights persist which is extremely important, but those are being eroded slowly, and more importantly in the context of the world your civil rights are looking antiquated when looking at major industrialized countries.

I mean imagine that today, when we discuss these issues, some of you pridefully lash out and make personal attacks about my country. Think about it for a second. Your retort is "but our rights are way better than yours!"

Duh. The fact that you have to say that is a cute little indicator of how it's going downhill. You're comparing yourself to the only countries left in the world where even the appearance of democracy is not promoted. Not even a shamocracy.

And these are your allies.

I understand that it hurts to face it, and especially to hear it from a Middle Easterner who is highly critical of your government's policies. But if you can for one second stop lashing out at me with personal attacks and poorly hidden emotion, we can actually discuss something we both agree on: American can be much better for Americans. This is not some radical idea, I know you think it, I've seen your posts. We obviously disagree about why it should be better, how much better can it be and how to make it better - or we can discuss how to move away from this madness of welcoming the worst human rights abuser to a human rights council. If this was about Islam or Arabism or whatever you think is my bias, why on earth would I not be celebrating this news? Why am I not happy that saudi has been given this position and your politicians are welcoming it? It irritates me to no end, because of the joke that it is. I know you agree, but instead you choose to attack me personally?

I won't attack who you are. If you don't like what I say, put me on ignore, there's lots of people who do that and it works wonderfully. But if you actually want to discuss issues like this openly and honestly, let me know.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't speak for others but my retort is how little you do to try to actually change things in your own country.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

There is no way you could ever know this, or i could communicate, or i would publicize, or i could even do in any significant detail. I help the weakest in my country by going out of my way, and that's the best I can do. But that's not change, that's a band aid.

Also, for me to do something is not the equivalent of you guys doing something. Your entire family is not at risk of being disappeared, ever. You have no idea how it feels living in a place where you have seen that happen in your lifetime.

More importantly, a change in your country has a greater impact on my country than a change in my country so I find it more efficient to aim my efforts there. I'm essentially taxed by the US without representation, I want a vote in your country or I want to stop being taxed by your country. Neither you guys nor your American ancestors have ever found that acceptable for yourselves, there's no reason I should.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So Mathloom, you love it there and would love to live there, but you blame the USA for being an ally of the country you love and where you would love to live.

Do you see the contradiction somewhere in there...like, at all?

19. malakas

malakas Member

you actually went and searched to find a post from 6 years ago?
    WOW that is serious dedication. And quite disturbing actually.
    What does it say about you ATW?

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

Wow...you 'v just posted some intelligent post for once! It's a small step but in the right direct