1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UPDATED] Rockets trying to organize a "Dawg Pound"-like group of fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

All details are available here:
    http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1270/wanted_rowdy_rocket_fans

UPDATE 2/20: For tickets, the Rockets told me you need to contact Brian Hopkins at 713-758-7455 or brianh@rocketball.com. Tell him you're looking for the rate/tickets from the ClutchFans-Dawg Pound thread. I was asked not to post the actual price publically because it is against their policy, but the price is 30% off. Feel free to post your call or game experiences here. Thanks ...
    -------------------------------------------------------

I wrote a recap after going to the Charlotte game that ripped the fan noise and interaction, and many others have done the same here on the board. I think the Rockets are well aware that the place needs to get louder and crazier ... we certainly do not seem to have any kind of homecourt advantage this season (Tracy’s numbers at home are pretty scary).

The Rockets contacted me to say they have started to organize a loud group of fans to aid in taking back homecourt advantage and they think the fans at ClutchFans make very good candidates.

They have started this group with an early name of "Rocket Rowdies" but the name is still up in the air. They will be sitting in section 101 (behind the basket) in the lower bowl, similar to the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawg_Pound">Dawg Pound</a> of the Cleveland Browns.

They are willing to sell those tickets to "clutch fans" at a discounted rate with the hope that those fans raise the noise and provide an example to other fans.

They want to try it once on Friday, February 24th against the Warriors to see how it goes, then possibly extend that offer more if it goes well.

I’m not a salesman nor trying to make a sales pitch -- I don't get any benefit (financial or otherwise) out of passing along the info -- but I do think it could be a fun game experience.

If you're interested, please post so here. They will get back with me and I will post the contact information when I have it.

2. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

im down it seems like the people sitting down in those sections are too classy to try to get loud. I always enjoy sitting in the nosebleeds with people who enjoy cheering

3. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Man I wish I was in Houston right now. This sounds like it will be really fun and could make a difference!

4. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Clutch -> I am somewhat interested.

The discounted Clutchfans rate is the key because there has to be some thing to draw more consistent fan support of this "Rocket Rowdies" idea and discounts are a nice initial incentive of course.

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I like the idea, but I wouldn't help, haha, I'm one of those quiet people at the games, oh well.

6. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I like the idea but it's too bad it will not effect the side seats where the TV cameras see. Why not both ends of the court?

Rocket Rowdies? Yuck!

How about the "Launchpad' or the "Clutch Club". Hell, I dunno but the Rowdies sounds weird.

It would be nice to have a special ticket price for the section on a permenant basis if they do this every game.

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

That sounds awesome, I'm defenitley down...shoot me an e-mail at mc1126@gmail.com

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm a one man dawg pound.

How can I be not on it?

9. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

I'm interested.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm interested. I think they should call it the "Rocket's Red Glare" and make it mandatory to wear red if you sit there and to hand out those things they give fans to distract the opposing team during free throws, but make them red.

11. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

I don't live in Houston but visit a couple of times a year and love to attend games. I'm extremely loud.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm very interested, and I'm sure a few of my other buddies from here would join me. Let me know.

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Um, I would drive back to Houston for the weekend for this. Lets make this work. Lets get rowdy.

haydenjon@mail.utexas.edu

#13 HAYJON02, Feb 18, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Why don't the Rockets brass just straight up and call these corporate fans out? I'm sure the Rockets enjoy taking these corporate nickels, but it's still about winning right?

15. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I dont live in Houston right now. I am in school in Austin. I would be down.

Are they going to let you do one game? During spring break? Or do you have to buy in packages?

16. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

I'm up for it.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

18. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I am in. I will not be in town for the game on the 24th. If the game is not part of my mini-plan count me in. I think this could be great especially if it is spearheaded by clutchfans.net

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

let me know when u guys go to a game, i'll drive down on a weekend and bring some Vernon Maxwell to the crowd!

20. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Ditto here, I would definitely be interested.