1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[tv] The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Jan 31, 2013.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just watched the season 2 premiere on DVR. That was intense. I'm done with TV for the night.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Question...

Not sure if this will be biased or not, since it's in The Americans thread, but...

Hannibal or The Americans. Which show do I start watching?

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

The Americans

1 person likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Don't see what you can't watch both. These great shows nowadays have such short seasons, you can usually commit to quite a few.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Hannibal is not for everyone. Well written and acted but ...

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Just watched episode one of the second season. I liked The Americans last year, but after watching Breaking Bad, House of Cards, and True Detective over the past few months, The Americans now seems rather weak. Not sure if I'm going to keep watching or not.

#86 Rip Van Rocket, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It gets too silly in certain points, but then again, so did Breaking Bad. The Americans started with a bang and maintained high quality until the 1st season finale, which was just so dumb imo that I couldn't suspend disbelief. It's still quality television, just not the top quality in terms of writing.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Season 2 just finished, most of it was pretty boring but it finished extremely strong the last 2 episodes.

If this show had the guts to do Phillip v Elizabeth next season it could be excellent.

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Yeah definitely a strong close to the season. Completely agree with your 1st paragraph.

I don't even think it needs both parents against each other in order for them to have a good 3rd season. They've set things up quite nicely for next season I think. Unlike The Bridge, their FX counterpart.
    I await what that show will bring this season but they didn't have a strong end to their season imo.

Anyway I'd give this Americans season maybe a B-. Last year was a B+.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I just finished this show up. While it isn't amazing and a must watch, it is a very solid show. The plots and story lines stay firm and the series doesn't wander into no where.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Flaw with the show is the circumstances are virtually unchanged from the start of the series.

Stan and Paige are still oblivious (Paige less so but still).

The show-runners are afraid to take that leap.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Season Three begins here:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phil's definitely getting more than Liz so far this season.

She takes a beating on the streets, Phil's getting laid constantly, and then, still, even the older comrade is getting in on Liz's bad start to the season..."Be like a good American Wife and do the dishes, Elizabeth."

Also, like this line:
    My father doesn't think political connections should be used for personal gain. -- Oleg

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

How do you guys feel about Liz constantly beating up these ogreish dudes with her dainty thimble-sized fists? Are her knuckles made of bricks and shards of glass!?

I'm going to miss that Russian chick, I liked her. Did the actress get picked up on another show?

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's not like she's a dainty, Chinese, royal concubine flying through the air naked executing Ninja Assassins.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i kind of lost interest and never caught the last 3 episodes of last season...

is it more of the same or does it pick up? I felt like it got repetitive.

16. VBG

VBG Member

I thought the show was amazing. It's very different from most shows on right now.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The last 2 episodes were spectacular. I too thought it dragged last year, put it paid off in the end.

The show if definitely a slow burn. A whole lotta nothing happens most of the time, but overall I think it's a great show.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really enjoyed season 1 and the first half of season 2, but like you said, it seemed to drag on a bit. Guess i'm going to have to finish those last 3 episodes

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Bumped for last night's quiet awesomeness.

I can see why most people wouldn't want to watch a show like this, it is extremely slow paced, but I love it. Everything about this show is crisp, and it has had some of the most brutal scenes I have ever watched.

I think season 3 has been better than the first 2.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think we gonna have to kill Paige.